Large tree on Tinian

Depbugg

On 11/2/2021 at 2:01 AM, Depbugg said:

Was doing some Recon in a helo and located a huge tree on northern Tinian.  Did a bit of quick Google and found nothing.  Is this just a hiccup or is there some Redwood like tree on the island?

Is there a set of camera coordinates you can provide? Default keybind is RAlt + RCtrl + ,

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, tempusmurphy said:

Wasn't Tinian where Enola Gay took off from ... its a radiation mutation 😎

Yes, at north field, the bomb loading area and where the pits were are visible.

Anyway, here's the camera coordinates: -camera 172.704842 0.130299 91.699759 -cameradir 0.945107 -0.204578 0.254795

As for being intentional, I can't see anything where the tree is IRL.

EDIT: There's also several (IIRC, at least 5) on Rota.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Hope it stays.

Why? There's nothing there IRL.

There's at least 5 of them on Rota.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

I didn't know that there were others. I was under the impression this was the only one.

But to answer your question, I don't know I guess for no particular reason really. I thought it sort of gives the map a magical feel to it. Like the Avatar movie image above. I mean its not like that part of the map will be able to be used for anything else. There is no runway, village, road... Its not like a part of the map that has a real historical value to it. Like on Normandy where entire coast line defense infrastructure is completely absent. This is just a tree in the middle of a field amongst 1000 of other trees. 

But I would definitely support you and the community if the desire was to remove it for the sake of what is actually there in real life. 

One solution is to have environmental objects present in the static objects list, and then you can populate trees as you desire.

System:

On 12/9/2021 at 1:47 PM, Callsign112 said:

But I would definitely support you and the community if the desire was to remove it for the sake of what is actually there in real life. 

My desire is to have realisticly modeled maps. All magic should go with user mods if anyone like such things in a sim.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Its a Banyan Tree. One of several on the island in the map. 

Can grow that big but are usually a bit smaller.  Not sure it belongs on the island and not sure it would be old enough to be that big if it did given, y'know WW2 and all that.  There is certainly at least one big one on Rota IRL.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_77826480_giant-fig-tree-rota-a-giant-fig-tree-beside-the-road-in-the-southern-part-of-rota-northern-mariana-i.html

If it offends it can be removed by renaming (or removing it) from the surface detail folder in the terrains/marianas folder. Whilst some locations may be dubious,  its not a fiction in itself although its not an especially good model either given its prominence and size. 

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Well a quick google search tells us that a Banyan tree can grow as tall as 100 feet, and the Marianas Islands themselves are between 5 and 30 million years old. The WWII version hasn't been released yet.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjIrq20quP0AhUVCc0KHaKkCSoQFnoECBwQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMariana_Islands&usg=AOvVaw0JEJZo1b-ZuM3w5473bhIy

1 hour ago, Boosterdog said:

Its a Banyan Tree. One of several on the island in the map. 

Can grow that big but are usually a bit smaller.  Not sure it belongs on the island and not sure it would be old enough to be that big if it did given, y'know WW2 and all that.  There is certainly at least one big one on Rota IRL.

Looking at satellite maps of the area, I can't see anything but a clearing where the tree is in DCS, obviously satellite maps of the area aren't the best for determining this sort of thing, but there's that.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_77826480_giant-fig-tree-rota-a-giant-fig-tree-beside-the-road-in-the-southern-part-of-rota-northern-mariana-i.html

If it offends it can be removed by renaming (or removing it) from the surface detail folder in the terrains/marianas folder. Whilst some locations may be dubious,  its not a fiction in itself although its not an especially good model either given its prominence and size.

Personally, I'd rather maps be made accurate, but I'm not opposed to trees and other environmental objects being present in the static objects, so they can be placed desired, there are already ways to remove scenery objects (for instance using triggers, though I'm not sure they sync in MP yet), but there isn't a way to add them.

System:

46 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

Well a quick google search tells us that a Banyan tree can grow as tall as 100 feet, and the Marianas Islands themselves are between 5 and 30 million years old. The WWII version hasn't been released yet.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjIrq20quP0AhUVCc0KHaKkCSoQFnoECBwQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMariana_Islands&usg=AOvVaw0JEJZo1b-ZuM3w5473bhIy

Cor....you really like that tree 🙂. Im gonna watch out for you next time I overfly the area to see if youve tried yourself to it to prevent its destruction!

Given its "Stand out" qualities and the fact that one isnt there IRL there is an argument for its removal at least from that spot but such trees are around (Rota for example) even if their modelled representations are a little dodgy. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

9 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Looking at satellite maps of the area, I can't see anything but a clearing where the tree is in DCS, obviously satellite maps of the area aren't the best for determining this sort of thing, but there's that.

Personally, I'd rather maps be made accurate, but I'm not opposed to trees and other environmental objects being present in the static objects, so they can be placed desired, there are already ways to remove scenery objects (for instance using triggers, though I'm not sure they sync in MP yet), but there isn't a way to add them.

The tree I put a reference to is on Rota Island. There is no tree in the location IRL on Tinian.  Maps are as accraute as time and scale allow I guess. None are ever perfect. No-one would be talking about this tree if it were another palm tree but I agree that when such items are added, and they are "stand outs", they should be added as a landmark feature to represent a real world items and not randonly placed by an algorithim. 

• Like 1

Cor....you really like that tree 🙂. Im gonna watch out for you next time I overfly the area to see if youve tried yourself to it to prevent its destruction!

Given its "Stand out" qualities and the fact that one isnt there IRL there is an argument for its removal at least from that spot but such trees are around (Rota for example) even if their modelled representations are a little dodgy. 

I'm perfectly fine if the tree is removed from the surface detail folder. Maybe while they are at it, other more pressing issues like problems with airports, roads, defense structures that are absent/incorrectly modeled on other maps could also be fixed.... But in terms of an eye-sore, I would take a 1000 year old Banyan tree over pyramid shaped land formations and sink holes as seen on other maps any day. But I hear you, the fact that it isn't there IRL raises a valid argument to have it removed.   

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

If you look close, these Banyan trees are all over the map. They are different sizes with the largest ones in north and south Tinian Island.

Here is a pic of the area near the power plant SW of North Field. Since they are a lighter shade of green, they are easy to spot.

mEHv8HA.jpg

Edited by rayrayblues
  • Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I noticed the same, some time ago. I did few turns around this big tree, I was wondering about some anomaly here. In VR its a really huge tree!

Maybe advertising of Avatar 2? 😄 😄 😄

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That specific tree is probably overkill (since nothing of that sorts appears to be there IRL), but these things can grow that big, and are quite amazing when they do. Tropics can often feel magical, of course they make the best impression when you're sitting in front of a monitor, and not being stung and bitten by the local wildlife (I wanted to say you're probably also not drenched in sweat and barely breathing due to humidity, but then I looked out of the window...). 🙂 

One great thing about a Vietnam map would be the chance to do some bush aviation, Air America style. You can do it in civil sims, but only without the Laotian rebels shooting at you, which was an occupational risk for AA pilots.

I spent a couple of hours cruising all of the islands in a helicopter and these trees are everywhere.

They are not as plentiful on Guam, probably because the people have cut most of them down for wood.

The ones on Tinian are more plentiful as it is far less populated, but just like IRL they are not all the same size. Some of the biggest

ones are on the north end if the Tinian island, which is what sparked this whole thread.

One that I found on Guam, SE of Antonio Won Pat, in a park at a lower altitude seems smaller from the air,

but it is the same as one of the trees on higher ground NE of north Field.

iwbeMoT.png

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU