Did mark points sneek it's way into the last update?

skrabley

I have been using them... you have 5... 26 through 30 on the mark point page..  So far it only works in FCR off of the ground radar (you have HUD listed)   after the point is created from the FCR radar you may have to cycle through the MP to get it to work..   It will create a point for HARMS, CCRP, Etc... 

CBU-105 will never implement spin because CBU-105s don't spin. The SUU-66 canister uses an inflated gas bag system to deploy the BLU-108s. CBU-103s fly most of the way to the dispense point without spinning and then just before release cant their fins to spin up to the required RPM to centrifugally dispense.

OFLY marks should work in any mode. If selected from the list it just uses the airplane position instead of an offset from some sensor.

• Like 1

Odd they didn't mention this in the patch notes been waiting for this, I randomly pressed 7 on the ICP and had a little party in my pants when I saw this 🤣 it so use full, but I see you can't delete them once you have created a mark point.

Edited by skrabley

Played with it yesterday. Even found a simple workaround in using the TGP to create a markpoint. Aimed the TGP at a target and slave the FCR to it. Then SOI the FCR and create a markpoint from that. TMS down to reset the radar. SOI TGP, rinse and repeat. Used the STPT as SOI to drop GBU-38 at the locations and it was reasonably accurate (3/4 destroyed). 

Played with the overfly markpoint as well. It only works in A-A so far (not NAV or A-G so far). But is puts the markpoint at the exact 3d position, including altitude. It would make more sense to me that the overfly markpoint would mark the position on the ground. As in the 2d coordinate with elevation of the ground factored in. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sinclair_76 said:

Played with it yesterday. Even found a simple workaround in using the TGP to create a markpoint. Aimed the TGP at a target and slave the FCR to it. Then SOI the FCR and create a markpoint from that. TMS down to reset the radar. SOI TGP, rinse and repeat. Used the STPT as SOI to drop GBU-38 at the locations and it was reasonably accurate (3/4 destroyed). 

Played with the overfly markpoint as well. It only works in A-A so far (not NAV or A-G so far). But is puts the markpoint at the exact 3d position, including altitude. It would make more sense to me that the overfly markpoint would mark the position on the ground. As in the 2d coordinate with elevation of the ground factored in. 

How do You slew AG radar to TGP point?

I played around a bit with the markpoints as well and have some questions and unclear points. First, am I right that the markpoints store an Offset to the active steerpoint, sothat a markpoint 2nm east of steerpoint 1 will also be 2nm east of steerpoint 2 once SP 2 is selected? I tried to employ 4 GBU38s on 4 outposts in Pre mode using the FCR and setting Markpoints by the FCR. After designation i switched the Steerpoint from SP1 to SP26, pickled and incremented the SP up to SP29 (4 bombs, you know.....)

My observation was that the impact points of the bombs matched the shape of the outpost distribution, but they were offset from the target. I think the offset was the same as the offset between SP1 and MP1 (which is SP26). So what needs to be done during asigning the Markpoints to prevent this offset. Do i need to CZ the FCR before i set another target? do i need to CZ the FCR at any other time of the procedure? does the Steerpoint need to be on the target for SP26 (or MP1).....From my observation there is an offset that might be because of some errors in the asigning procedure but i have not found out which or when....

Marks record positions as accurately as they can which in DCS should be perfectly. Your marks were most likely exactly on target. Why the bombs missed is that when you selected them the airplane also had some system deltas which get applied to steer destinations which determine the SPI/target.

I wish we had OFP 5+ which highlights CZ in reverse video when deltas are non zero because right now it's hard to tell. Every time you are delivering weapons against coordinates, press CZ before the attack.

You have to CZ to remove deltas before attacking a steerpoint directly. I mean, you don't have to but you'll attack your steerpoint skewed by any deltas. Deltas (slews are another common word) are accumulated by moving SPI with the cursor switch. I guess there are a few other methods like point track TGP.

Rippling off four JDAMs it's only potentially necessary before the first one. As long as you don't introduce slews between releases it's fine. Theoretically if you never introduced deltas since airplane start you would never have to press CZ (and pressing it would result in no change).

The way to check if steerpoint and destination are different is to look at the DEST and STPT DED pages respectively and see if they are different numbers. But we don't have the DEST page modeled yet so it's not possible. The CZ highlight was a really nice feature and makes it really obvious when there are deltas present. I'm a little surprised it took to the M5.1 tape to introduce it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Frederf said:

Marks record positions as accurately as they can which in DCS should be perfectly. Your marks were most likely exactly on target. Why the bombs missed is that when you selected them the airplane also had some system deltas which get applied to steer destinations which determine the SPI/target.

I wish we had OFP 5+ which highlights CZ in reverse video when deltas are non zero because right now it's hard to tell. Every time you are delivering weapons against coordinates, press CZ before the attack.

ED should pin this because there is going to be a lot of JDAM's missing targets going around when TGP markpoints hit beta. Even better ED should actually cover that in the changelog YT video.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, danyxo1 said:

How do You slew AG radar to TGP point?

Hit the FCR TGT OSB Button, it's in the right bottom. 

A question when it comes to mark point; A problem I often face is pop-up threats like SAMs, remembering their position in the heat of the moment is hard, and makes dealing with it even harder when under pressure.  Will I be able in the future to use the JHQMS to do a mark point where I see a sam launch, go defensive and later come back with my systems slewed to that mark point?

If not, how am I supposed to deal with a threat like that? There's not enough time to use the AG radar to find the sam, it takes too long time to find it with the TGP while maintaining good SA and avoiding other threats.

Cheers!

12 minutes ago, b0bl00i said:

A question when it comes to mark point; A problem I often face is pop-up threats like SAMs, remembering their position in the heat of the moment is hard, and makes dealing with it even harder when under pressure.  Will I be able in the future to use the JHQMS to do a mark point where I see a sam launch, go defensive and later come back with my systems slewed to that mark point?

With HUD markpoint selected, TMS up >0.5sec slaves the markpoint cue to the HMD. Or when they're implemented, slave the DTOS or EO-VIS designator to the HMD and designate the target that way.

1 hour ago, Crptalk said:

With HUD markpoint selected, TMS up >0.5sec slaves the markpoint cue to the HMD. Or when they're implemented, slave the DTOS or EO-VIS designator to the HMD and designate the target that way.

Does that work already or is that a “how it will work when it’s implemented.” Statement?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

2 hours ago, Crptalk said:

What does it slave it to? The flight path marker? I then proceed and fly the fpm over the target? I just want to look at the sam launch and do TMS up with something.

Flying hot towards it seems like a bad idea 🙂

• ED Team

Mark points are work in progress, when we are ready we will share more information and probably Wags will do a video. 

thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, b0bl00i said:

What does it slave it to? The flight path marker? I then proceed and fly the fpm over the target? I just want to look at the sam launch and do TMS up with something.

As Crptalk mentioned, it would slave to the HMD (the JHMCS) so you can just look at the spot where the Sam fired from and create a mark point from that. We don't have any of the AG JHMCS functionality yet, so it doesn't work that way currently. But it'll be very sweet when it does! 😁

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

3 hours ago, b0bl00i said:

HUD mark gets its own special symbol on the HUD fixed in position. Yes you'd have to point the airplane at something to HUD mark.

I assume the helmet mark symbol is the same as HUD and would be fixed in the helmet view which could be any direction you can turn your head.

• 2 weeks later...