Stay away from Tobii products

I am an alienware 17r4 user. This laptop has tobii tracking device built-in, and it was one of the main reasons why I got this laptop. Approximately two months ago, the head tracking stopped working. When I contacted the support they said they received the same complaint from multiple users and that they did inform the R&D team about it and will talk to me when they have information from R&D team. I was like, cool okay. Since then, headtracking does not work and no news from the support team. 

Yesterday I saw an article on the tobii website saying that “Unfortunately head tracking is no longer functioning in Alienware 17 R4, Acer V Nitro and Predator monitors therefore no longer have functional head tracking”. I mean what? What What kind of a conpany do that? Is it even legal? You sell your product and then you make them stop working and say sorry. It is like you buy a car and after 2-3 year they say sorry we made your engine stopped working and you won’t have a functional engine no longer. 

I was planning to buy Tobii 5 before this happened, but how can I know that they will or not take headtracking out of it after 1-2 years. Just like they did with these products. 

After I first used tobii I said I will never buy a laptop without built-in tobii. Now I say i will never buy any Tobii because I do not know if they will kill it or not after some time.

I do not see any reason to trust to Tobii now. Stay away from it.

• Like 1

Does it use a built in camera with an infrared 3 point LED headset? If so just download open track for free and use it. Been using it for over a year without any problems.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide