G2 / DCS CPU Usage & Frametime Spikes

funkster

I moved from the Rift S to the G2 last year and have had constant issues (DCS only) with poor FPS / Stutters and CPU Frametime Spikes. I have literally tired every setting and every fix / tweak in these forums to absolutely no avail so much so that I went back to TrackIR / 2D.

My System Ryzen 3950x , Asus ROG 2080ti , 32Gb, Prime X570 Pro MB, 970 EVO NVME M2 Exclusive to DCS. Win 10. 

The issue seems to be CPU utilisation under DCS. As a test I set all DCS settings to Off  / Low  with minimal sliders and PD = 0.5. SS80% , motion Projection off.  Which made no difference in performance , stutters from standard settings (Similar Big Newy / speed of light forum posts).  I just can not get the CPU frame times down no matter what!  See below.

Spoiler

dcs.JPG

I have tried 2 x G2 Headsets, New Cables (version 2) , Various Bios Settings, All System Hygiene settings applied .  Shader Mods, Shadow Mods, SS / PD combinations, reprojection on , off , WMR, SS. ...process lasso .... etc etc. 

In contrast I ran Elite Dangerous MAXED out and got the following. Note....No CPU issues at all.  

Spoiler

elite.JPG

Any ideas? As I am fed up again! 

Edited by funkster

Please try to set SteamVR SS to 60% and try again. Sadly DCS engine is mostly single core and doesn't benefit alot from multiple cores. VR rendering essentially doubles the work for the CPU, each frame has to be "drawn" twice for stereo rendering by the CPU before it gets "filled" by the GPU. In a single core limited engine this greatly limits VR performance.

EDIT: Also try these shaders for VR: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317762/

Edited by Marco Schaap

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

Try force DX11 in Steam, worth a try.

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

On 11/3/2021 at 7:31 PM, Marco Schaap said:

Please try to set SteamVR SS to 60% and try again. Sadly DCS engine is mostly single core and doesn't benefit alot from multiple cores. VR rendering essentially doubles the work for the CPU, each frame has to be "drawn" twice for stereo rendering by the CPU before it gets "filled" by the GPU. In a single core limited engine this greatly limits VR performance.

EDIT: Also try these shaders for VR: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317762/

Doesn't have any effect mate. As I mentioned I have the PD set to 0.5 and it still doesn't stop CPU frame spike , locked frames or stutters! It doesn't get any better or different if its on SS100 or 1 !

23 hours ago, St4rgun said:

Try force DX11 in Steam, worth a try.

Yes already tried it im afraid .. no effect.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:31 PM, Marco Schaap said:

thanks but already tried all the shader mods as per OP

Edited by funkster

Sorry to hear, you still have the same issues regardless of the settings you do. I guess you already know but for Ryzen 3000 1usmus created something which could be usefull: 1usmus custum power plan

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:51 PM, Marco Schaap said:

Sorry to hear, you still have the same issues regardless of the settings you do. I guess you already know but for Ryzen 3000 1usmus created something which could be usefull: 1usmus custum power plan

Thanks Man, I hadnt tried but have now along with the "stilt" PBO settings . Some boost elesewhere but DCS ..no better .... actually worse ;/

Spoiler

dcs.JPG

Edited by funkster

On 11/8/2021 at 3:47 PM, funkster said:

Thanks Man, I hadnt tried but have now along with the "stilt" PBO settings . Some boost elesewhere but DCS ..no better .... actually worse ;/

Hide contents

dcs.JPG

Might be a stupid question, but could you turn off fpsVR in DCS while flying in VR. If I use fpsVR in DCS I get massive framedrops!

Edited by Marco Schaap

Have tried that and just used the in game FPS counter ....no change really. I only used FPSVR to check where the bottleneck was and show frametimes etc.

I am stumped ...guess its 2D and hope engine changes fix it  ;( 

The issue I have is that I see others with similar systems getting much better performance.. The fact that reducing DCS settings / SS and PD to the lowest possible settings has no effect ...says there is something fundamentally wrong somewhere. I just wish I could find it. 

Edited by funkster

You said you tried everything, but I didn't see you mention if you've tried a complete format of your system disk and a fresh reinstall of Windows? That's the only thing that managed to get my G2 to acceptable levels of performance. Not sure where it was going wrong before, but I too came from the Rift S and with the G2 is simply couldn't get it to perform at acceptable levels until I actually reinstalled Windows, WMR, and DCS World from scratch. 

One other thing to consider, this last beta patch really tanked a lot of people's performance (including my own) which is why I'm currently on hiatus from DCS World and will not be playing it until they either get some of that performance back, or they release their new rendering\multicore engine, whichever comes first. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 3 weeks later...

rename your saved games folder to DCS.old or something and have the game create a new saved games folder.  Then move your mods/inputs/bindings/whatever back.  This has almost always solved weird little issues with VR for some reason (even ones that deleting FXO and metashaders wouldnt fix). 

Not sure why, but its an easy thing to try and has great results. 

Also try completely removing SteamVR (google the correct way, IIRC you delete the default.vrsettings file from the steamVR folder, and a couple of similar files in the steam config folder. 

I havent had too many CPU usage issues, but most of the issues were resolved with updated files completely unrelated to what you would think would be causing the problem. 

Edited by Taterbootz

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

• 4 months later...

Just an update for anyone else with similar issues.  - For me I found out exactly what it was!!!!

I have the WinWing Panels and the entry that the SimAppPro puts in the Scripts/Export.Lua was causing the massive CPU hit.  Commenting these out in the export.lua file (--) immediately resolved the issue! I can reintroduce it by "uncommenting" them so I have 100% evidence that this is what was causing the issue! 

The WinWing export.lua script  issue is documented here. 

Thank god - with this and the OpenXR ( VR without steam VR) I can now fly VR buttery smooth! . 😀