Jester - Stuck on the Non-Assisted Startup (Basic - Pilot Cold Start)

Althar93

I am a complete novice when it comes to this module and have been trying to play through the Basic - Pilot Cold Start training mission. Unfortunately, one I have initiated the (Non-Assisted) Startup as per the training instructions, and confirmed on the radio that I could hear Jester, he just gives me the dead treatment and never wakes up again.

I can toggle the seat safety switch and he will close the canopy but that's it, he will not check for warning lights or do anything else even if I proceed with the training & start the engines up.

I am hoping this is down to user error but after several attempts and following the instructions I am starting to think this is a bug.

What were Jester's last words you heard? We have to know the last procedure you're stuck in. Maybe it's simple "Check" answer/command from Jester menu he's waiting for?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

He does the ICS coms check, I select loud and clear and he just replies 'ok' then does nothing else. The training instructions then proceed to ask me to move the test knob to the LTS position, press it in, observe the warning lights and 'coordinate' with Jester but he does nothing in the back and remains silent.

I also thought maybe I needed to prompt him to check but if I bring the Jester menu, the only two options I get are : 'Spot' or 'Abort Start'. I had a look at the bindings and there is a command for Jester to check, but this does nothing in this instance. Also, the training mission says to hold off enabling the ejection seat until later but if I toggle it, he will close the canopy and say 'Ready to start' ; again, from that point on Jester will not do anything.

Worth noting, I ran a cold start instant mission yesterday and used the 'assisted' start-up this time and was able to get Jester to guide me through the whole process without any issues (this includes the use of 'Check' which works fine here and shows up in the Jester menu).

As a result I am not 100% sure if this is intended behaviour and the training instructions are perhaps misleading/out-of-date or if this is a bug.

Edited by Althar93

47 minutes ago, Althar93 said:

He does the ICS coms check, I select loud and clear and he just replies 'ok' then does nothing else. The training instructions then proceed to ask me to move the test knob to the LTS position, press it in, observe the warning lights and 'coordinate' with Jester but he does nothing in the back and remains silent.

I also thought maybe I needed to prompt him to check but if I bring the Jester menu, the only two options I get are : 'Spot' or 'Abort Start'. I had a look at the bindings and there is a command for Jester to check, but this does nothing in this instance. Also, the training mission says to hold off enabling the ejection seat until later but if I toggle it, he will close the canopy and say 'Ready to start' ; again, from that point on Jester will not do anything.

Worth noting, I ran a cold start instant mission yesterday and used the 'assisted' start-up this time and was able to get Jester to guide me through the whole process without any issues (this includes the use of 'Check' which works fine here and shows up in the Jester menu).

As a result I am not 100% sure if this is intended behaviour and the training instructions are perhaps misleading/out-of-date or if this is a bug.

Hi, take a look at the HB F14 manual:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/index.html

see if you miss something in the flow lines/Procedures

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/procedures.html

After Engines are up, and all Pilot's flow lines are done, try to see if in jester menu you do have the INS alignment options. then choose at least "min weapon launch".

After this alignment you should hear Jester "Ready to taxi".

Ok nevermind, I just ignored the 'coordinate' part of the instructions and upon setting the right switch to TID I am able to prompt Jester to perform the INS alignment. After all this, it would seem this is just a mix of user error and the training instructions being somewhat misleading (especially for a beginner).

1 hour ago, Althar93 said:

especially for a beginner

Apart from the visual hints these procedures are really not for beginners 🙂

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria