Vive Pro 2 issues now not good- Solved!

dburne

I use Belkins Wemo smart plugs since we’re primarily a Mac household and need Apple HomeKit compat, but it also supports Alexa and Google Assistant protocols.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CJGZZZ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_X3V3FCTNHNBHDVNGXCWS

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Until you try her, you’ll never know! She has transformed my life, taking control of lights, speakers, hifi, kettles, plugs, etc. 

Saying ‘VR off’ to switch off my VP2, or lying in bed on a cold morning and saying ‘kettle on’, then going down to the kitchen to find a just-boiled kettle, is bliss!

Lol stop tempting me.

Ok so check this out. This is from Steam VR with Vive Console and what it is reporting for my base stations. Yet lights are solid green on them and tracking beautifully. Just won't go into stand by or sleep mode as apparently Steam VR with Vive Console does not recognize them as working lol.

MdEwgjg.jpg

UkMyjrq.jpg

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Alexa understands me more than my wife 🙂

I just used some cheapish Unicom remote control sockets from Amazon. Have the remote attached to my rig. Use it for fans, my powered direct drive steering wheel, amp for buttkickers and for base stations when I had them. Very useful.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Don, I find that having the controllers on can help with base station BT detection issue.  This happened a lot with my Index.  I have base station 1.0 though.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Don, forgive me if you mentioned it somewhere in the thread already, but did you try an uninstall/reinstall of Steam itself?  I ended up doing that once when I was having problems with my G2, but not my CV1, in the same SteamVR title.  It actually fixed it.  That was after uninstalling/reinstalling Steam VR and the WMR plugin several times to no avail.  Doing the complete uninstall/reinstall of the Steam platform was actually a fairly quick and painless process, and you don't have to reinstall all of your Steam titles afterward if you follow Steam's guide for backing up your Steam library.  Granted, there were no base stations involved of course, but my G2 would only link up with SteamVR once per power cycle on my machine.  I would have to do a complete restart of my machine to get another SteamVR session to link up with it.  Definitely not the same problem as what you have I know, but it had that similarity of the once per power cycle behavior.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks guys  I will tell ya though I am just not going to worry about it at this point. Vive Pro 2 working beautifully and tracking is superb. Only thing is I can not set the base stations with the Vive Pro 2 to standby or sleep mode. I will just unplug them at the end of the day or gaming session.

I am sending logs in to Vive though to see if they have any further suggestions. The small amount of OCD in me would like it solved, but it is not preventing me from gaming with my Vive Pro 2 at all.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don, quick question, do you have any yellow exclamation marks showing in Device Manager?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

6 hours ago, dburne said:

Thanks guys  I will tell ya though I am just not going to worry about it at this point. Vive Pro 2 working beautifully and tracking is superb. Only thing is I can not set the base stations with the Vive Pro 2 to standby or sleep mode. I will just unplug them at the end of the day or gaming session.

I am sending logs in to Vive though to see if they have any further suggestions. The small amount of OCD in me would like it solved, but it is not preventing me from gaming with my Vive Pro 2 at all.

my base stations (v1) have been On since Jan 2018 when I bought them with VivePro1... They never went into standby or sleep mode..

😄

maybe I'm just lucky, but 3 years later there are zero issues with them.

You’ve got to set the power management settings to make them sleep or power down. Otherwise they will always remain on. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 hours ago, imacken said:

Don, quick question, do you have any yellow exclamation marks showing in Device Manager?

No.

I have even more issues with it now, I have gathered log files and sent them in to Vive. Will see what they say. In the meantime I have disconnected and boxed it away - back to using Index and Reverb G2, both of which are totally issue free. I have wasted enough time with this Vive Pro 2 headset. Personally I think they don't have it quite ready for Windows 11 yet. Yesterday I was able to get it to run most of the day ok by disabling Defender real-time protection. Not today though. Back to major stuttering image. And still reports base stations not connected even though they are and working fine. Crazy. But yesterday all day - rock solid.

But seems all my issues began shortly after I upgraded to Windows 11. Prior to that since getting it in June it was solid as could be. Same rig.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Well, the only issue I have had with the VP2 is the occasional BT disconnect and that was the same in W10 and W11. 

More bad news. Vive - who diagnosed my BT problem to be down to the link box after they looked at my logs - have now - after almost 2 weeks since I sent it to Romania - told me that there was nothing to repair and they are sending the box back to me.

Pathetic. 

Looks like the next step will be to send back the whole kit. 

Getting pretty annoyed about all sorts of tech companies support ability these days. 

53 minutes ago, imacken said:

More bad news. Vive - who diagnosed my BT problem to be down to the link box after they looked at my logs - have now - after almost 2 weeks since I sent it to Romania - told me that there was nothing to repair and they are sending the box back to me.

Pathetic. 

Looks like the next step will be to send back the whole kit. 

Getting pretty annoyed about all sorts of tech companies support ability these days. 

That is too bad. Their support here in the states was really good, but yeah I have read about other stories like this with that one in Romania.

Don B

Yep I had a look and I installed Windows 11 on Oct 5th and I started posting about this issue on Oct 7th in another forum. I am convinced it is related to Windows 11 on my particular rig. 

Now Wed. I disabled Defender's real time protection and the headset ran great all day long without any stuttering image at all. I thought for sure that was the issue. Yesterday however doing the same thing - it was back to a stuttering mess. I can't help but think there is a clue in that somewhere - but dang if I can figure out what it is. Yeah I know I said I was putting this thing away and giving up on it - but dang I sure would like to get it figured out. Obviously it is probably not the headset as this is a replacement and doing the same thing. Well Link box was not replaced but I really don't think that is it either. Headset and cable were replaced.

If I am not careful I will be talking myself into hooking it back up and continuing to try and figure this out lol.

Don B

Hmm I may be on to something here guys - hooked up the VP2 again and changed a couple of things- looking pretty good this morning but it is way too soon to get too hopeful. After all it did run fine all day on Wed and crapped out again on Thurs. morning.

Will give it a day or two and see how it goes. 

Edit: Nope strike that, it was looking promising but no more. Man this is so odd.

Also what is interesting is when I launch Vive Console/Steam VR in the Steam VR environment only everything is smooth as silk. Only when launching a game does all the stuttering start. When I start a mission in a game it is sometime ok, sometimes the stuttering continues. Probably a clue in this as well but no idea what it might be.

Upon exiting the game, the stutter continues in the Steam VR environment for around 5-10 seconds, then it clears up. Only when a game is launching and in the game menu does it go crazy with stuttering like it is getting 1-2 fps. And this issue only began after upgrading to Windows 11.  Index and Reverb G2 are solid as can be. And Index uses same Lighthouse 2.0 tracking system.

Edited by dburne

Don B

It has to be some sort of Win 11 and Vive console compatibility issue.  I have had no issue with my headset, a friend of mine is getting into DCS and we've been playing pretty much daily.

Why not just go back to Windows 10? I mean why upgrade to Windows11 in the first place? Never, ever be an early adopter of Microsoft products, especially their OSes. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Yup.  Microshaft burned me once with the "Upgrade to Windows 10!  Its free, and if you don't like it you can go back to your previous OS!"  Been stuck with it ever since, but fortunately it eventually evolved to be rock solid like it is now.  No way I'm going to deliberately do anything to "upgrade" at this point...having to suffer through all of the growing pains of Windows 10 was bad enough.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Why not just go back to Windows 10? I mean why upgrade to Windows11 in the first place? Never, ever be an early adopter of Microsoft products, especially their OSes. 

Eh, because it is vastly superior! 

Been using it trouble free for many months now in beta builds stream. 
Day one, all good out of the box. 
Just my humble opinion though. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I come from a corporate IT management background with standard builds and OS patch testing and deployment regimes. A Windows OS upgrade is a massive deal and takes months, sometimes years before adoption of a new version. My gaming PC on the other hand is my chance to rebel and contains all sorts of beta, early access. latest drivers and latest OS. I think it comes with the territory of games/sims enthusiasts to be early adopters. Not everyone of course, to some DCS is more mission critical than their work PC apps and certainly back in my league sim racing days I wouldn't dare mess around with my gaming PC during a season! Now I enjoy the bleeding edge aspect 🙂

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Eh, because it is vastly superior! 

Been using it trouble free for many months now in beta builds stream. 
Day one, all good out of the box. 
Just my humble opinion though. 

Yeah it is obviously something related to my rig and Windows 11 that is causing my issue here. Danged if I know what is is though. It is not the headset. All ran great all day Wed. and then yesterday right back to the crazy stuttering mess. Makes no sense. Going to continue troubleshooting some more though since I still have it hooked up now. Loading a game triggers it. Sometimes I can play the game ok, sometimes not. Exiting the game it continues to stutter for a few seconds in Steam VR then releases and fine. I imagine when the game is fully exited is when it stops. Crazy.

Don B

Ok so I solved the base station issue with them not showing properly in Steam VR, they were not found and had a yellow triangle yet still tracked fine with the Vive Pro 2 even though they were working and tracking properly. I uninstalled Steam VR except this time I also deleted all the contents of the Steam/Config folder ( they were all VR related).  Now base stations show correctly in Steam VR and go to sleep properly when exiting VR.

Then I tried a game, and still shaky stuttery mess. I then disabled Windows Defender real time protection, and tried again - and it was all smooth.

Maybe I am getting somewhere but who knows, it all worked great all day Wed. and then went to crap on Thursday again. 

Don B

Well I also had a shaky mess for a bit. I uninstalled everything through steam.

THEN, THROUGH THE VIVE WESBSITE, I installed via their process. I downloaded the setup software and started there.

During the process, it linked to Steam, and caused it download the Steam VR etc.  I don't know-but it cleared my mess. 

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

1 hour ago, Slick Twitchy said:

Well I also had a shaky mess for a bit. I uninstalled everything through steam.

THEN, THROUGH THE VIVE WESBSITE, I installed via their process. I downloaded the setup software and started there.

During the process, it linked to Steam, and caused it download the Steam VR etc.  I don't know-but it cleared my mess. 

You uninstalled both Steam VR and Steam?

I have uninstalled Steam VR and Vive Console several times but does not fix it. On the one hand I want to get it working, but on the other hand I think why when my other headsets work just fine with zero issues. Plus I have the Aero coming in a few weeks. I have thought about uninstalling Steam and trying that, but man I would hate to have to download all those games again. Just not sure it is worth it only for this Vive Pro 2. MSFS 2020 alone is a huge download.  And the issue only started shortly after upgrading to Windows 11.  It started happening again later today even with Defender real time protection disabled. I swear there is just no rhyme or reason to it. I am stumped.

Edited by dburne

Don B

8 minutes ago, dburne said:

You uninstalled both Steam VR and Steam?

I have uninstalled Steam VR and Vive Console several times but does not fix it. On the one hand I want to get it working, but on the other hand I think why when my other headsets work just fine with zero issues. Plus I have the Aero coming in a few weeks. I have thought about uninstalling Steam and trying that, but man I would hate to have to download all those games again. Just not sure it is worth it only for this Vive Pro 2. MSFS 2020 alone is a huge download.  And the issue only started shortly after upgrading to Windows 11.  It started happening again later today even with Defender real time protection disabled. I swear there is just no rhyme or reason to it. I am stumped.

Don, you don't have to re-download any of your Steam titles after doing an uninstall/reinstall of Steam.  Have a look at this link... https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4593-5CB7-DC3C-64F0.  I have had to do this in the past when my CV1 worked just fine with SteamVR and my G2 was having issues.  It fixed those issues.  I mentioned it before in this thread, but you must have missed it.  The whole backup and restore thing with the Steam library was actually a pretty painless process, and I didn't have to reinstall any of my Steam titles...and I have A LOT of them.