Vive Pro 2 issues now not good- Solved!

dburne

45 minutes ago, imacken said:

Don, I originally did an in-place upgrade from W10 and had no issues. I didn't change any settings at all.

However, I also did a clean install a couple of weeks ago when I got my new Z690 mobo and 12700K CPU, and that has been completely trouble free as well.

I'm running Home version.  Nothing in Pro that interests me.

Ok thanks much for the info.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just to update - been having another go with the Vive Pro 2. Messed around with it all day yesterday and managed to get it to where I could use it for much of the day. Seems for me at least the issue is related to Windows 11 Security Settings in Defender. I started adding some files to Defender's Exclusion List. Namely some Vive Console and Steam VR files along with the game executables.

Will see how it goes today and maybe start removing some and try to narrow it down to which one is causing the issue. I have a hunch it lies in the Vive Console software as Steam VR and these same games work perfectly fine with Index. And my games also work perfectly fine in the Reverb G2 with WMR. Currently just a band-aid for the VP2 but hopeful now that I seem to be making some progress.

And also Vive Pro 2 worked perfectly with previous Windows 10 installation.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well I can get it to where it will run ok by messing around in the Defender security settings but can never seem to get it to stick permanently. Once I have it not shaking/stuttering like it does I can just leave the software running and be able to use it all day. But once I shut the software down and then launch it later it is hit or miss how it is going to do.

So while aggravating I can at least with a little effort get to where I can use it for the day. For me I just have to hope at some point Vive gets it fully compatible with Windows 11. I wonder what will come first, the Aero or a fix for this issue for me. I am guessing probably the Aero, and if it does what I hope maybe I can finally get rid of these other headsets I have.

Don B

I have never even looked at Defender settings. Good for me, not good for you, Don. That’s the way the PC world is. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

47 minutes ago, imacken said:

I have never even looked at Defender settings. Good for me, not good for you, Don. That’s the way the PC world is. 

Lol yep you are right there. I have troubleshooted this thing till I am blue in the face really. At least I can now get it to where I can use it if I want, just have to put a little effort into it. If nothing else I can be persistent at times.  I hate it when the PC wins out over me.

• Like 1

Don B

I swear this is the strangest durn thing in VR I have ever seen.

So this morning all set for a full day of gaming. Course all gaming I do is in VR. So I launched the Vive Console/SteamVR software and put headset on. No shaking/stuttering of the image and I had forgotten to disable Defender Real Time Protection. Ok cool, so I started with my gaming. In between game sessions when I would take a break I would just let the Vive Console/Steam VR software continue to run as the headset went into standby. About 2/3rd of the day all was peachy keen. Then finally it started that mess again. No rhyme or reason to it. So I disabled Defender  and shaking/stuttering stopped and I continued with my gaming.

So anyway I was able to use the Vive Pro 2 all day today, just had to work around the issue a little.  Nice to be using it again as I so love that image clarity and horizontal FOV, just wish this thing would not do that at all. I still am confident it is an issue with the Vive Software and Windows 11 on my particular system. Hoping maybe the next beta update of Vive Console might resolve it - will see I guess. Hoping but certainly not counting on it.

Don B

Ok so for my Index tracking cameras, I have added a couple of smart plugs. Can't remember who suggested that or even if it was in this thread, but I got them yesterday evening and hooked up this morning. Pretty cool - now I can just power my trackers off and on easily with my phone. No more worries with the sleep for them not working properly with my Vive Pro 2.  Love em!  I got a pack of four of them so have a couple more we can use wherever they might benefit.  Also have an Alexa coming should be here Friday. Guess I am getting caught up with the times lol.

Edit:  As far as my issue with the VP2 and Windows 11, here is the process I have found to give me a trouble free day of gaming with it.

Launch Vive Console/Steam VR with making no adjustments yet - the image once in game will be a shaky stuttering mess. Then exit the game, but leave VIve Console and Steam VR running. Disable Defender protections. Now launch game and it will be smooth and a great experience. I let Vive Console/Steam VR continue to run minimized in between gaming sessions. This way I can get a full day of gaming with the Vive Pro 2. Just the annoyance of having to do the first couple of steps.

Maybe someday an update from HTC may resolved this.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I've been using smart plugs as well for a few months now. So much easier to get up and running.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

The problem continued to come back and get worse for me, so have removed the Vive Pro 2 and software, gone back to Reverb G2. If I ever see mentioned in an update to the Vive Console fixes for compatibility issues with Windows 11 I may try again.

Don B

Pity about that. As I said before, if it was a general problem it would be fixed, but as it seems to be restricted to you (and maybe a few others, but I haven’t noticed that), then I wouldn’t hold your breath!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 hours ago, imacken said:

Pity about that. As I said before, if it was a general problem it would be fixed, but as it seems to be restricted to you (and maybe a few others, but I haven’t noticed that), then I wouldn’t hold your breath!

Yeah I can understand that. Thankfully I have a Reverb G2 and Index that have no problem at all with this Windows 11 install so at least I am not out in the cold. I do prefer the Vive Pro 2 image which is a shame. I will likely stay away from HTC going forward.

Don B

Well seems I have finally resolved this crazy stuttering and shaking of image issue for me that has been plaguing me since upgrading to Windows 11 back on Oct. 5th. I run two monitors, with my Windows desktop set to extend on the second monitor. I went into Windows display settings and set the image to only display on Monitor 1. Issue has completely gone away.  Everything is solid. I went back in and extended them again, and once again the stuttering and shaking of image returned in game.  Now I have several hours of gaming in with my display only on Monitor 1 and issue does not happen.

I thought I had tried this previously in my troubleshooting but perhaps I only tried unplugging the second monitor and not making the change in the Windows 11 display settings I am not sure. In any event as long as I only project Windows 11 to one monitor everything is golden.

I would note I ran two monitors previously on Windows 10 and did not have this issue with the Vive Pro 2. But I also changed my main monitor to a new one around the same time. For whatever reason with these two monitors and Windows 11 the Vive Pro 2 just does not like them both displaying.  My main monitor is an Acer curved 1080p 144 Hz monitor. My second monitor is a Samsung 1080p 60 Hz monitor.

No issue at all with Reverb G2 and Index with the two monitors , only the Vive Pro 2 has this issue for me.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

Sounds like you have resolved it, that must make you feel good cracking that one!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

6 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Sounds like you have resolved it, that must make you feel good cracking that one!

You bet it does!

No matter how many times I wanted to give up I just couldn't. And after going through the troubleshooting with support and getting a replacement headset with same issue I knew it has to be something peculiar on my end. Even though they told me Win 11 not supported yet I just kept trying to figure it out. I would unplug it , put it away, then few days later I just had to try again lol. No telling how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled Vive Console and Steam VR.

Technically though there should not be an issue with having two monitors, but there is something on my rig with Vive Console that just not like it. Reverb G2 and Index no problem, Vive Pro 2 I have to set to one monitor only. It is easy enough to do so reckon I can live with it. Especially for that nice image along with horizontal fov. It is not like I can really look at that second monitor when wearing the headset anyway.

• Thanks 1

Don B

• dburne changed the title to Vive Pro 2 issues now not good- Solved!

Don, I discovered something very interesting yesterday.  I noticed that somewhere in the recent release notes, it said that the Motion Compensation performance had been fixed.  So, I tried switching it on (after months of being off with horrible performance) and amazingly, it all works really nicely now.  None of the previous issues.

Give it a go!

As an aside, are the Steam Vive Console version numbers with 2.1 the same as the non Steam versions 2.0?  For example, my current Steam version is 2.1.19.1 whereas the standalone one is 2.0.19.1.

5 minutes ago, imacken said:

Don, I discovered something very interesting yesterday.  I noticed that somewhere in the recent release notes, it said that the Motion Compensation performance had been fixed.  So, I tried switching it on (after months of being off with horrible performance) and amazingly, it all works really nicely now.  None of the previous issues.

Give it a go!

As an aside, are the Steam Vive Console version numbers with 2.1 the same as the non Steam versions 2.0?  For example, my current Steam version is 2.1.19.1 whereas the standalone one is 2.0.19.1.

On the Vive Console I am running the non Steam 2.0.19.1.  I will definitely check out the motion compensation and see how it does.

Don B

Yep, I'm guessing that 2.0.19.1 is the same as 2.1.19.1. Maybe they use the 2.x as a Steam/standalone identifier.