Vive Pro 2 issues now not good- Solved!

dburne

My experience is the total opposite of yours, Don.

It took a good few days to get the exchange admin sorted out with support. Then there was a huge amount of hassle with documentation because it had to be sent to Romania from the UK.  I took the package to the UPS drop-off point, but I was told I had to have 3 copies of the invoice for customs, etc. etc., so I had to return home.

I eventually got the package sorted out, but it has been sitting in a customs warehouse in Romania for over a week now!  

So, a couple of weeks in, I am no closer to getting VR back.  I should add, this is just the link box, no headset involved!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

4 hours ago, imacken said:

It took a good few days to get the exchange admin sorted out with support. Then there was a huge amount of hassle with documentation because it had to be sent to Romania from the UK.  I took the package to the UPS drop-off point, but I was told I had to have 3 copies of the invoice for customs, etc. etc., so I had to return home.

I eventually got the package sorted out, but it has been sitting in a customs warehouse in Romania for over a week now!  

So, a couple of weeks in, I am no closer to getting VR back.  I should add, this is just the link box, no headset involved!

Yikes! That is too bad hope you get it back sooner rather than later.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 11/22/2021 at 5:35 AM, imacken said:

Out of curiosity how did they determine just to send the Link Box in on your ticket? On mine they only wanted the headset, no cable and no Link Box.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I had Bluetooth connection issues. 
They said it must be a faulty link box. I am not convinced, but, we’ll see!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Good Morning

Hey Don, when you ordered your Varjo how many stations did have to get? 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I am sad to report a whole new issue now with this replacement Vive Pro 2. My Lighthouse 2.0 base stations will not always wake up and run with this VP2 headset.

I have uninstalled and clean installed both Vive Console and Steam VR multiple times. Only thing that gets them back is to remove the Steam VR USB drivers in Steam VR Developer Mode and reboot the PC. It will then work fine for one gaming session, next time I open Vive Console/Steam VR it happens again.

Major PITB. To test I hooked the Index back up, no problem at all with Index, base stations always run beautifully. So it is something in the Vive software or the this replacement headset. Started yesterday morning and been doing it ever since.

I tell ya I am about done with this Vive Pro 2.  Way too much aggravation. I have submitted logs over on the Vive forums for them to look at, will see if they come back with something helpful. In the meantime going back to Index and Reverb G2 for some trouble free gaming. I sure am glad I did not sell them.

3 hours ago, Burt said:

Good Morning

Hey Don, when you ordered your Varjo how many stations did have to get? 

Hey good morning Burt.

I already had the Lighthouse 2.0 base stations (2) that came with my Index so I will be using them with the Aero. For anyone that does not already have them - for seated only play like flight sims you can get by with just one. For other VR games that use the controllers probably best to have two.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Don B

I have had that issue with various headsets. Although it seems to be ok with your Index, I would have thought this is a SteamVR thing. 

4 minutes ago, imacken said:

I have had that issue with various headsets. Although it seems to be ok with your Index, I would have thought this is a SteamVR thing. 

Yep running beautifully in the Index. Have switched to it now for my VR gaming for the rest of the day. I need some trouble free VR gaming to restore my sanity lol. Got the replacement headset Sunday evening and this started yesterday morning.

First time I have ever had an issue like this.

I have also tried both stable and release versions of Steam VR. As well as Vive Console.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Interesting, that is an issue that has driven me mad over the years.  In the end, I just unplug the base stations until I want to use them.

17 minutes ago, imacken said:

Interesting, that is an issue that has driven me mad over the years.  In the end, I just unplug the base stations until I want to use them.

I actually tried that option as well with no luck.

It is a time like this I wish I was in Europe covered under their laws and could get my money back on this dang headset.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Well, as I said, I had this issue on and off with my Index, and any other headset that has used the base stations. 
I think you’ve just had bad luck with the VP2. 

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Well, as I said, I had this issue on and off with my Index, and any other headset that has used the base stations. 
I think you’ve just had bad luck with the VP2. 

Yeah I went back to Index for today's gaming and everything working great as it should. I seem to be snake bitten with VP2. I think a clue there is whenever I shut off Vive Console Steam VR does not exit cleanly, always get a critical error crash on it. Never does that with the Index, course it is native Steam VR. What is nuts is everything worked great with my VP2 up until around a month or so ago. I did upgrade to Windows 11 when it became available but HTC says it is supported and should run no problem.

Both my Index and Reverb G2 are working beautifully.

Don B

Perhaps the Vive Console software doesn't play nicely with Win 11?  Honestly they're not the most stable software out there and to get decent motion compensation you still need to use the beta version.  Sometimes I also got the crash window when I turned off SteamVR.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

8 hours ago, Supmua said:

Perhaps the Vive Console software doesn't play nicely with Win 11?  Honestly they're not the most stable software out there and to get decent motion compensation you still need to use the beta version.  Sometimes I also got the crash window when I turned off SteamVR.

Yeah I am beginning to think the software is likely the culprit. I did try Imacken's suggestion of unplugging the base stations and plugging them back in, that did work this time for at least one game session. I suppose I could do that but I much rather they just wake up from sleep as they are supposed to. Would hate to have to keep unplugging and plugging them back in for each session or leaving them running full blast all day.

Much as I hate to guess I will hook it back up and mess around with it some more today.

Edited by dburne

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Would hate to have to keep unplugging and plugging them back in for each session or leaving them running full blast all day.

I use smart plugs to turn my G2 headset and auxiliary computer cooling fans on and off. It’s easy with a smartphone and you don’t have to crawl around plugging and unplugging every time you fire up the computer. 

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

24 minutes ago, DucS2r said:

I use smart plugs to turn my G2 headset and auxiliary computer cooling fans on and off. It’s easy with a smartphone and you don’t have to crawl around plugging and unplugging every time you fire up the computer. 

When I had base stations I also used smart plugs with a little remote control to turn them on and off. They used to whine a little so I only turned them on when needed.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I also use a smart plug with my VP2, which would automatically shut off power at night to prevent potential overheating issue in case I forget to turn it off after use. 

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Smart plugs huh - well who woulda thunk!

Ok will check those out thanks guys.

As much as I would like to give up on this Vive Pro 2, I keep hooking it back up and going back to it. That dang image clarity is just so good.

Edited by dburne

Don B

yep, I’ve used smart plugs for some time with my VR headsets. 
can I also add that combined with Alexa, they work really nicely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, imacken said:

yep, I’ve used smart plugs for some time with my VR headsets. 
can I also add that combined with Alexa, they work really nicely. 

Lol I do not need Alexa!

Don B

Smart plugs huh - well who woulda thunk!
Ok will check those out thanks guys.
As much as I would like to give up on this Vive Pro 2, I keep hooking it back up and going back to it. That dang image clarity is just so good.

You ain’t seen nothing yet if you think the default image clarity is so good. Try Reshade and it will look 50% better especially in ground detail. If this headset had aspheric lens I probably wouldn’t need the Aero.

2 hours ago, Supmua said:

You ain’t seen nothing yet if you think the default image clarity is so good. Try Reshade and it will look 50% better especially in ground detail. If this headset had aspheric lens I probably wouldn’t need the Aero.

Lol I would but I have always been a "no mod" kinda guy.

Yeah image quality in VP2 is pretty sweet. Btw any recommendations on smart plugs would be much appreciated !

Edited by dburne

Don B

Well used my replacement Vive Pro 2 all day gaming today, and even though Steam VR thinks there are no base stations communicating they surely are. Lights on them are solid green and tracking fantastic.

Crazy - unplug VP2 and plug Index in, and they show in Steam VR properly and sleep as they should when done. With Vive Pro 2 they just stay solid green and do not sleep and Steam VR  thinks they are having connection failure.  But at least they are working. 

Don B

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Lol I do not need Alexa!

Until you try her, you’ll never know! She has transformed my life, taking control of lights, speakers, hifi, kettles, plugs, etc. 

Saying ‘VR off’ to switch off my VP2, or lying in bed on a cold morning and saying ‘kettle on’, then going down to the kitchen to find a just-boiled kettle, is bliss!

• Like 1