Truck Opel Blitz bug and a request.

Barrett_g

I wanted to make a fairly easy Channel Map mission where I would intercept unarmored soft targets that were transporting supplies from a port, to an airfield.

Looking through the assets pack, it was hard to find an asset that would make up a lightly armored convoy that could bring supplies to the airfield.  I settled for the "Truck Opel Blitz", but it's less than ideal as you can clearly see they are empty!  My request is that ED makes another version that has canvas in the back, so you can assume there is some type of supplies or personnel back there.

The route I chose would bring the convoy close to the coast to make it easier to spot.  Unfortunately, the route I chose is impossible.  There is a small river, or ditch, that is missing 3 bridges.  My convoy won't pass, however, the random traffic floats through as if there is an invisible bridge.

Lastly, there seems to be an issue with the "Truck Opel Blitz" when you zoom out far enough you will see something wrap around the left front tire.  It "flops" around the tire as it drives.  I'm guessing this is a LOD issue?  I'm not sure.  I tried to get a photo of it, but it's more prominent in motion as you see it rotating around the tire.

Screen_211102_213509.png

Screen_211102_214213.png

Screen_211102_213958.pngScreen_211102_213944.pngHere's my attempt at taking a pic of the object that appears to rotate around the left front wheel.

Awesome!  I don’t know how I missed that!  Now I’m going to have to go back and see all the options on all the other objects!

Now if we can fix the weird left front tire LOD problem and get the bridges installed on the Channel Map!

Edited by Barrett_g

Hi Barrett

Yeah, there are so many hidden goodies in the asset pack.

The branches camo is really cool for some of the German vehicles, but only for the Kettenkrad, Sd. 251 & Puma.

Would be really great to have rolled out to the rest of the German Panzers

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

The Side skirting for the Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer IV,  Stug III & Stug IV are also great eye candy - but seem to be applied randomly, would be  nice to be able to select as option i.e. All On, All Off or Random (as currently is), and of course Branches 😉

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Hopefully ED will also start adding crews to the open vehicles, once they implement the new human models?

Looks so good where there are crews. This game is becoming so visually amazing - really look forward to every new update these days.

The future is bight 🤩

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 3:19 PM, Barrett_g said:

Now if we can fix the weird left front tire LOD problem and get the bridges installed on the Channel Map!

Thanks for the heads up. The Opel Blitz bug is a crazy one! Take a closer look and you'll see it's the driver who's spinning around the wheel. 😄  The issue is now reported.

I spotted 32 missing bridges around Dunkirk, but the Opel Blitz trucks all passed the rivers safely in current open beta.

What units were you using? Can you please provide a mission or a track?

missing_bridges_dunkirk.png

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

17 hours ago, Flappie said:

Thanks for the heads up. The Opel Blitz bug is a crazy one! Take a closer look and you'll see it's the driver who's spinning around the wheel. 😄  The issue is now reported.

I spotted 32 missing bridges around Dunkirk, but the Opel Blitz trucks all passed the rivers safely in current open beta.

What units were you using? Can you please provide a mission or a track?

missing_bridges_dunkirk.png

Sorry I never saved any tracks and I’ve since edited my mission for the convoy to travel a different route.

However, I can tell you that when building the mission, I placed a new ground unit, set it to the opel blitz truck, set it’s waypoints, and then made it 1 of 5.

I then changed the first truck to a “APC Sd.Kfz.251 Halftrack”, and then changed the last truck in the convoy to a “Scout Puma AC.”

So the half track is leading a convoy of 3 Opel Blitz trucks with a Puma AC protecting the rear.

Maybe the Halftrack can’t cross without a bridge and the others are simply following?

Im glad the bug is reported and you’ve found a ton of missing bridges… and most importantly, it’s being worked on!

Thank you!

Edited by Barrett_g

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/6/2022 at 2:53 PM, twistking said:

from the provided screenshot it appears as if the OP uses off-road-waypoint, instead of on-road-waypoints. i would guess the latter is needed for the units to pass the river...

I have been able to get groups of ground units to cross rivers using Off-road way points, but it may be location/vehicle type dependent as it doesn't always work.

But I think this is a good example of where the community could experiment to see what does/doesn't work.

As your suggesting, the OP could start by placing just two On-road way points. The first at the initial take-off point, and the second at the final destination (way point 41 in picture). The OP could then add an additional On-road way point where the set path deviates from his/her desired route. For example, if at way point 8 in the picture, the set path continues straight instead of making a right turn, the OP could place another On-road way point just after the road turns (approximately where way point 9 is in the picture) to force the set path in that direction. Continue adding additional way points along the route only at junctions where it is necessary to force the set path in the desired direction. 

It is worth pointing out for anyone new to DCS that both On-road and Off-road way points make grouped units follow each other in a single line at a set distance between each unit. The difference between the two types of way points is that when using On-road, the path between two points will follow the curvature of a drive-able road that connects them, while the set path for Off-road way points will be connected by a straight line (shortest distance between 2 points). The net effect of this is that you can have a group of vehicles cross the entire Normandy/Channel map using just 2 On-road way points (start-finish). But if you want to do the same thing using Off-road way points, you will have to troubleshoot and add way points to re-route the group around any obstacles it may encounter.

A path can also contain a mix of way point types. I often use a combination of On-road/Off-road (various formations)/Custom way points to build the desired Ai movement behavior. Anyone that hasn't played around with this yet will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Edited by Callsign112