stats are low for WWII birds.

badger7966

Ive put this in here cuz i dont know where else to put it,

Ive seen it said in places that the WWII birds are not so popular.......So here is my opinion on why ........ its only my opinion.

So Ive been flying DCS for a fair few years now and while im not fluent in any module I can handle my self given a load of luck in one or two modules.

Ive been toying with the idea of a WWII bird for awhile now,and finally took the plunge and bought the BF109,P47,FW90A8 and D9 but ive decided to stick with the P47 for now.

The big issue for me is navigation.......trying to figure out exactly where you are is nothing but a miracle.

Seen the vids......about speed,direction and timing and even then your still out.

I mean .....how the fuck do you find anything in this scenario except for a tail full of Jerrys hot lead.

I get the feeling that if there was a possibility to at least mark yourself on a kneepad map,or something to that effect,might make it more appealing to the fast jet snots.

Ive had a ball trying to learn the P47....taxi,take off,engine management but to be honest im about to throw the towel at it.....purely because of navigation.

Flying around for an hour looking for some action is kinda shit  and I feel it kinda puts off people who are more used to having massive avionic suits to help them out.

While I understand it from a puritan point of view,and I respect that....it would be knida nice if there was an option for something like simple nav......or at least a marker on your kneeboard.

Kind regards

Ger

The "mark your position on a kneeboard" is there already.

Edited by Tenebrae Aeternae
  • Like 1

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

Instead of trying to fly from your home base to a specific point 1000 miles away… where a single degree off in your heading will put you miles away from where you want to be…. Try breaking your trip down into multiple waypoints…. And make sure your waypoints are easily recognizable.

For instance I can take off on the Channel map and fly a specific heading and I’ll get close enough to the big port in Dover.  Think of that as a mini-save point.  Pick another waypoint over another recognizable land mass like a large city next to a lake and fly that heading until you get there… now you’re 2 for 2.

This is how real WW2 pilots did it.  You have to study the map and look for recognizable features.

This is what I love about WW2 modules in DCS.  It really makes you appreciate a lot of stuff you didn’t realize those airman had to go through…. Constantly trimming the plane, cycling through external tanks every 30 minutes to keep them balanced, monitoring a handful of engine gauges…. All while scanning the air around them for bandits!

• Like 3

There are options in the game already to dumb down navigation but I think the better approach would be to consider it another fundamental skill to learn. You wrote that you already put in the time and effort to learn take-off, engine management and so on. I presume you're not content with just airstarting straight into a dogfight, you want to learn to fly the thing properly. Navigation is then just as important as those other skills are. Set up some exercises for yourself, learn to choose and identify landmarks, get a pen, notepad and a stopwatch handy, practice some dead reckoning. Don't treat it as an obstacle between taking off and getting to the fight. It can be as much fun as learning all the other things you've already learned.

• Like 1

All seems been reported about navigation.Now is up to you:)The game gives you a map and some features to select and mark a point.On the map you have a stuff to measure distance between two points giving also heading.

Now make a short calcul with that: 60/VP

(VP is the proper speed you will choose)

With that you will get a coefficient that you have to multiply with the distance to obtain the time.

Nothing more was used by old pilots.Called heading and clock.

Check you mission ,report all the navigation points on it,take the measure and heading,and in fine choose a speed.With the speed you will find the time for each segment.

That' s all and easy after some practice.If you need something with more accuracy,PM me.

Good game

Edited by cromhunt
  • Like 1

I've been flying the other sim in VR for 4 years, now I've switched to DCS and even though the object scale on the map is much smaller/different than in the other sim the same points still apply:

- find the landmark on the ground

- try to find it on the map

On the Channel or Normandy maps the most obvious ones are the tree/forest grows. Obviously you need be at at 2+km altitude at least so you can see the full shape of the forest. For example:

- look out of the cockpit and find the largest forest growth

- note its geometrical shape, the weirder the shape the easier it is to find it on the map

- try to gauge your location in regards to the forest (north/south of it, etc)

- then open the map try to find the forest shape that matches what you observe from the cockpit

I started on SOW server and it was extremely difficult at first, but after 4-5 missions it got to be pretty easy. I do get lost sometimes, but usually after 2-3 minutes I orient myself on the map...

edit:   It's actually quite fun getting lost now.. 🙂

Edited by peachmonkey

This is why the additions of real buildings in the Channel Map are so important.

ED needs to work a little harder to include specific building in each village/town/city.  

In some of the smaller towns, a distinct looking church might be all that’s needed to  differentiate that particular town from the rest.

• Like 2