air to ground

colubridae

After watching the grim reapers video on off axis a2g I've been practicing.

great fun but..

I seem to find the designation symbol is not exactly over the targeted point.

I've set a waypoint directly over a tank, wypoint designated, but the symbol is slightly off the target echo.

however when attacked with a JDAM the jJDAM hits the target. (provided i don't move the spi symbol.)

if I retry but move the spi symbol driectly over the target return the JDAM misses.

If i try but move the spi symbol slightly off  the target (roughly where it appears when using waypoint designate) then the JDAM hits.

is this a slight bug or am i missing a detail? please

A2G still awesome when greatly off axis!!!!

🙂

Edited by colubridae

When you put a WP directly on top of a target, zoom in on the map to make it exactly.

And don`t forget to give that WP the exact height.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Ummmm i guess i didn't explain properly.

with the waypoint exactly on the target in the mission editor, when i attack it, the JDAM scores a direct hit. so no problem.

the problem comes when using the A2G radar. when off axis at, say, 50 degrees, the  target return is clear

now with waypoint designated the target cursor showing on the MFD is not over the contact. But without moving the target cursor ie leaving the cursor off the target the JDAM scores a direct hit.

If however  I move the target cursor on the MFD to be over the rader contact now the JDAM misses.

If I move the target cursor so it appears to be off the contact (by the same amount as when using waypoint designate) the JDAM scores a direct hit.

Hope this explains my problem more clearly.  😃

I noticed the same thing in the  F 16 a/g radar as colubridae has stated and found that the curser had to be offset left of tgt for a hit. I then came to the conclusion that their was a problem with the update of a/g being implemented in the  F 16 that was the problem. Hoped for update to fix. New someone would notice.

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

I've tested this on Syria, Persian G, caucasus - left and right - and as far as i can tell if you place the targeting cursor approx half of one limb of the designator cross ahead of the radar return you have a good chance of hitting the target (Hornet).  hope that helps.

Ive not done the viper, I assume near enough with a good dose of CBU105 will do the trick.

😃

Ummmm i guess i didn't explain properly.
with the waypoint exactly on the target in the mission editor, when i attack it, the JDAM scores a direct hit. so no problem.

the problem comes when using the A2G radar. when off axis at, say, 50 degrees, the  target return is clear
now with waypoint designated the target cursor showing on the MFD is not over the contact. But without moving the target cursor ie leaving the cursor off the target the JDAM scores a direct hit.
If however  I move the target cursor on the MFD to be over the rader contact now the JDAM misses.
If I move the target cursor so it appears to be off the contact (by the same amount as when using waypoint designate) the JDAM scores a direct hit.

Hope this explains my problem more clearly.  
Look at this bug thread https://forum.dcs.world/topic/274042-a-g-radar-exp3-and-aircraft-movement-issues/

Towards the end, you can see a difference between the FLIR (which is pointing to the correct location) and the A/G radar cursor location. It appears that the A/G radar image is shifted with the motion of the aircraft. Normally, the MC should be able to use Radar and INS data to present a correct picture.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 11/4/2021 at 2:24 PM, FOXFIRE TWOONE said:

I noticed the same thing in the  F 16 a/g radar as colubridae has stated and found that the curser had to be offset left of tgt for a hit. I then came to the conclusion that their was a problem with the update of a/g being implemented in the  F 16 that was the problem. Hoped for update to fix. New someone would notice.

The Viper bug appears to be less dramatic and different. If you are banked aggressively away from the target (say, 30 deg or more of bank) the cursor placement will be accurate. It's a lot harder to pin down, so I haven't made a bug report about it yet, but that's what I've seen so far.

The Hornet bug is far more dramatic and is definitely tied to aircraft motion.