F/A-18C AGM-64D Harpoon

Speedbrake

Have the most current update to the beta program. Just got back to playing with the AGM-64D Harpoon and the sea mode radar. On the stores pages once the Harpoons are RDY and the radar is set to SEA Mode, I get "OFF SET" instead of the normal "IN ZONE" on the upper right of the stores page. Then, it won't let me select a different mode for the Harpoon. I went back to look at Matt's videos and also the Grim Reapers videos on Harpoon to see what I may be doing wrong, but neither has updated to using the SEA mode radar with the missile. Is there a bug or am I doing something wrong? I lock a target on the radar, set the search and bearing but the missile seem to "go off-set???? when launched.

Edited by Speedbrake

And just for completeness' sake: it's AGM-84, not -64 😉

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

1 hour ago, Speedbrake said:

I went back to look at Matt's videos and also the Grim Reapers videos on Harpoon to see what I may be doing wrong

So I would suggest using something other than Grim Reapers, like the excellent Spudknocker below, but that's just my personal preference.

However, it's been a few months since I used Harpoons but... I don't believe there is the connection between the radar and the weapon you seem to be looking for. It doesn't 'guide' the missile like an Aim-120 or anything like that. As Spudknocker demonstrates in that video, it's mostly used to find and identify contacts. But you locking a ship on radar has no impact on the Harpoon, which should be set up on its own terms.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Okay, typo...AGM-84D!  I was using the sea radar to identify the target and get a bearing so i could set up the harpoon. What was troubling me was why I was getting "off-set" on the stores page vs what I used to get "in zone". once the harpoon was set up. Can anyone explain why the off-set cue?

It depends on the mode you have the Harpoon set to and how it's configured. The system will send the OFF-AXIS message if the angle between the aircraft's ground track and missile's desired bearing to either the BOL search bearing, the R/BL target point, or Harpoon Turnpoint (HPTP) is greater than 90°.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/