Requesting laser guided bombs

Nickkerkwijk

Hi, because we dont have a Russian multirole fighter i was wondering if it is at least possible to add some laser guided bombs (kab/fab 500L) to the Russian fighters. I know they don't have self targetting capabilities, but with a JTAC it would really boost the air to ground capabilities.  Just like the F/A 18C used GBU 12's before it got the Litening a few years back.

I don't know if the old Flankers we have even used laser guided bombs in real life before the SM upgrades, but it would make the Flankers for me so much more fun to use. If it is realistic ofcourse

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 11:33 PM, Nickkerkwijk said:

Hi, because we dont have a Russian multirole fighter i was wondering if it is at least possible to add some laser guided bombs (kab/fab 500L) to the Russian fighters. I know they don't have self targetting capabilities, but with a JTAC it would really boost the air to ground capabilities.  Just like the F/A 18C used GBU 12's before it got the Litening a few years back.

I don't know if the old Flankers we have even used laser guided bombs in real life before the SM upgrades, but it would make the Flankers for me so much more fun to use. If it is realistic ofcourse

Personally I'm more surprised that even the Su-25T doesn't have laser guided bombs, despite all the TV and laser guided weaponry it does have access to. Agreed that having access to them would be nice, I think the only guided bombs that's for a pure REDFOR plane (so not counting the Jeff) right now is the KAB-500kr for the Su-25T? That combined with the CCIP and CCRP pippers on them being seemingly a bit off/inaccurate (CCRP especially) does hinder their capabilities for bombing missions quite a bit. SEAD, DEAD and anti-armor? Easy peasy, many tools. Accurately bombing stuff? Quite hard.

I guess you can't hang LGBs off of it because the targeting system doesn't depress far enough. It always trips and resets right before impact, when you're using iron bombs or the KAB-500Kr. I find it pretty accurate when using iron bombs, though. But not when using the BetAB-500ShP. That thing is, let's say, less than ideal.

• Like 1

Все буде добре

3 hours ago, Kilo said:

I guess you can't hang LGBs off of it because the targeting system doesn't depress far enough. It always trips and resets right before impact, when you're using iron bombs or the KAB-500Kr. I find it pretty accurate when using iron bombs, though. But not when using the BetAB-500ShP. That thing is, let's say, less than ideal.

For self-lasing sure, but the Su-25T can buddy lase just fine. Stay a bit further out while lasing while your wingman goes for the drop.

• Like 2

AFAIK, neither the Su-27S, 9-12 MiG-29 or 9-13S MiG-29S are equipped with LGBs, only more basic AG ordnance.

Personally, I'm skeptical about the Su-25T being able to employ LGBs, owing to the gimbal limits of the Shkval.

4 hours ago, Kilo said:

But not when using the BetAB-500ShP. That thing is, let's say, less than ideal.

That thing is only really meant for runways and hardened concrete structures. It's essentially the Soviet/Russian Durandal equivalent, just with a bigger warhead.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

The Syrian Air Force uses MiG-29SM (Yes, the red side im DCS is equipped worse than Bashar Al Assad), which is mostly an 80s MiG-29S with the added ability to use some guided AG weapons. It uses them like the A-10A uses the mavericks, utilizing only the weapon seekers with no own TGP.

kokpit-nakon-remonta.jpg

Deka at some point discussed the possibility of things like KH-31, KH-29 and Laser guided bombs on the J-11A. But that was before they started focusing fully on the JF-17.

If ED ever touches FC3 again, it would be cool to have a MiG-29K variant introduced for proper carrier ops, which are currently not possible with the soviet old Su-33. An upgraded flanker variant for ground multirole ops would always be welcome too. Lets say one of those exported to the indians or chinese in the mid 2000s.

Edited by Max1mus
  • Like 2

Now this one is interesting. Even at FC3 level, which could/should be a fairly easy conversion. A MiG-29 armed with KAB-500Krs, Kh-29Ts or even 25MT/MTPs (unless those were phased out before the 29SM entered service) would be a different kind of cool!

Now, back on topic: I don't know if the planes we got in game can use LGBs. Most I've heard of being used/tested on them are the laser guided missiles. Although, they did use some form of JTAC with those things... But I think it would be a pain to code.

ExzLiQrWQAQoe4f.jpg

Yeah, that's an Su-25 laser pointer bolted on to a BTR-80

Edited by Kilo
Spelling
  • Like 1

Все буде добре