Engine management - oil pressure and temp not working

VeeSPIKE

I just started learning the Jug and am having engine troubles on startup. Engine starts fine, but after 3-5 minutes of warm-up, neither the oil pressure or temp gauges have moved at all, CHT is high (about 270) and the engine has no power. Takeoff roll is extremely long and once airborne, it flies like a pig, rolls left, will not respond to trim, and will not climb.

The checklist I am using is here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310190/

Standalone OB 15038

In the Caucuses Startup and Run-up training mission , it appears to run fine (found another bug there) but I had created a simple mission in The CHannel, and I get what I described above.

I warm up engine at 1100 rpm what is your warm up rpm ??

900rpm is too low for me, maybe in case of cold weather. Once oil pressure is below red line i set 1200rpm.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

2 hours ago, grafspee said:

I warm up engine at 1100 rpm what is your warm up rpm ??

I was running it at 900. but have been bumping it up to 1200. Same results. I tried it in a Channel mission and a Caucasus mission. Both were identical in that it was just the plane, the map and no weather.

Attached the last trk, and the mission file.

shesgotnopowercapn.zip p47 engine training - caucasus.miz

@VeeSPIKE - I've watched the track. Reading about your trim issues and taking a quick look at your mission file, I'd say you've got "game flight mode" turned on in gameplay options. Dump it - it's bugged as hell and poorly supported. Switch to full simulation mode and your plane should work as advertized.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

@VeeSPIKE - I've watched the track. Reading about your trim issues and taking a quick look at your mission file, I'd say you've got "game flight mode" turned on in gameplay options. Dump it - it's bugged as hell and poorly supported. Switch to full simulation mode and your plane should work as advertized.

Good catch. That appears to cleared up pretty much everything, so far. Engine gauges work and trim responds properly (if a little sensitive.) Thank you.

Is that something that turns itself on? Because I don't know that I ever turned it on.

It's on by default when DCS is installed fresh, or when you delete your options.lua file, which resets all DCS options to stock settings. But once it's un-ticked, it remains his way.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:44 PM, VeeSPIKE said:

trim responds properly (if a little sensitive.) Thank you.

Trim in P-47 is very power full.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 2 weeks later...

From another topic (which I don't remember where I found, but kudos to the original author whoever he/she is): 

Look into your DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\P-47D-30\Cockpit\Scripts folder (actual game install, not the one in Saved Games!), edit file CLICKABLEDATA.LUA and change the following lines (change 0,025 for 0,0125 for example). This will bring trim sensitivity to a better level. Remember to re-edit after game updates!!

-- Trim Control Box ---------------------------------------------------------------
            -- Aileron Trim Wheel
            elements["pnt_91"] = cabin_axis_limited(0, _('Aileron Trim'),  devices.CONTROLS, device_commands.Button_1, 91, 0.0, 0.025, false, false, {-1.0, 1.0}, {135, -45}, {45, -45})
            elements["pnt_91"].sound = {{SOUND_SW5}}
            -- Elevator Trim Wheel
            elements["pnt_92"] = cabin_axis_limited(0, _('Elevator Trim'), devices.CONTROLS, device_commands.Button_4, 92, 0.0, 0.025, false, false, {-1.0, 1.0}, {-135, -20}, {-45, -30})
            elements["pnt_92"].sound = {{SOUND_SW5}}
            -- Rudder Trim Wheel
            elements["pnt_93"] = cabin_axis_limited(0, _('Rudder Trim'),   devices.CONTROLS, device_commands.Button_7, 93, 0.0, 0.025, false, false, {-1.0, 1.0}, {135, -45}, {45, -45})
            elements["pnt_93"].sound = {{SOUND_SW5}}
        -- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: another way to change (editing default lua): dcs-community-keybinds/default.lua at main · Munkwolf/dcs-community-keybinds · GitHub

Ok, so now back on topic. 😀

Cheers!

Edited by joker68
  • Like 1