Oversweep & wing sweep cover - intended behaviour or bug?

Althar93

Hello all,

I got this module about a year ago during a sale and never had the chance to properly dive into it until now (which is a shame because it's been great fun). While I am getting to grips with the aircraft just fine, the wing sweep & surfaces of the wings are giving me the most trouble. I'll assume most of the following is down to user error but I have become a bit of an expert when it comes to : jamming the flaps, getting the wing sweep stuck, etc.

I have been running through the carrier training missions, including the case 1 recovery. Upon landing, I retract the flaps, spoilers, etc. I then open the wing sweep cover, pop the handle out & pull it to the 68 degree position. Once all the relevant indicator/lights have extinguished I am able to pull the handle further back into the oversweep position (full aft).

While this works, it appears that I then become unable to close the wing sweep cover after moving the handle to oversweep. Similarly, I lose the abilty to move the wing sweep handle at all after this & the only way to get it unstuck is by using the mouse wheel which just propels it into the full forward position.

Any idea if this is the intended behaviour with the wing sweep cover, or am I experiencing a (known) bug?

Thanks in advance

I think the cover is as intended, doesn't seem like you can close the cover when the handle is extended out of the spider extent.

In case 1 you shouldn't have spoilers deployed like ashore upon landing unless you are referring to DLC. You may want to revisit your before landing checklist, make sure you commit it in your memory. Even DLC you shouldn't be engaged any longer once you have trapped aboard the boat. Make sure on main gear touchdown you are indeed powering up to at least MIL, there are micro switches that retract the speed brake and DLC upon selection of MIL, but you may want to get into the habit of manually retracting the speed brakes with the switch on the throttle simultaneously with your application of MIL power. This was done as a failsafe to ensure speed break retraction if it ended up being a bolter.

What I do after trapping on the boat re: wing sweep for parking is flaps up, once flaps become fully retracted I select bomb mode for the wings using the hat selector switch on the throttle, this should move them aft to 55 degrees... This seems to be the most expeditious way to sweep the wings aft to alleviate clearance problems immediately when clearing the landing deck after trapping. Then I manually select them aft to 68 degrees, again using the hat switch on the throttle.

Then to put them into the oversweep position, I just lift the cover up and pull the handle out of the spider detent. You will notice that your handle is not at the forward most position anymore and a light comes on your caution panel saying Hz tail auth... Now all you have to do is wait for the wing airbags to deflate, which is indicated by the Hz tail auth light on your caution panel no longer being illuminated. Once that happens you will have a "over" flag appear on your wing sweep indicator and then you can move the emergency wing sweep handle to the fully aft oversweep position and your wings move into oversweep for parking.

I hope that helps you.

• Like 1

My bad, I did mean DLC, not spoilers. As for the overall procedure on touchdown and trapping, I think I am following the procedure more or less correctly, at least to a point where I can get the wings in oversweep without breaking anything.

In this instance, my issue/question is more with the inability to close the wing sweep cover once the wing sweep handle is in the oversweep position and whether this is correct behaviour or a bug?