Performance (FPS) loss from 2.7.6 to 2.7.7

Limaro
Go to solution Solved by Limaro,

the problem here is the lack of communication

really, profiling two different build of a software for general perfomance is a few hours of work if you dont need to reproduce/trigger some obscure behaviour

in my opinion this is like 2.5 to 2.6 again: the degradation is part of a large code refactoring effort and cant be undone in isolation

this is the new baseline boys

Edited by MattCri
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 10:19 PM, m4ti140 said:

Looks like flat shadows are now not exactly flat, they act like default but at shorter range it seems

Imnot seeing this - can you explain more please? 

What I have seen is that default terrain shadows also render the flat shadow. Ive reported that here

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• ED Team
11 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

Imnot seeing this - can you explain more please? 

What I have seen is that default terrain shadows also render the flat shadow. Ive reported that here

Then it goes both ways, cause I'm seeing default shadows with flat selected...

1 hour ago, m4ti140 said:

Then it goes both ways, cause I'm seeing default shadows with flat selected...

Are you able to document it and report it to the devs? - maybe put it in a new thread and let flappie have a look at it? I think it would be a help. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

1060 user here. After 2.7.7 had to crank all the settings down and was getting 37 fps with everything low-low except basic textures and was getting GPU usage at 100%. Yesterday decided to try and add shadows on high and msaa x2 and guess what? Same 100% gpu usage and same 37 fps. Weird!

2 minutes ago, Rmnsvn said:

1060 user here. After 2.7.7 had to crank all the settings down and was getting 37 fps with everything low-low except basic textures and was getting GPU usage at 100%. Yesterday decided to try and add shadows on high and msaa x2 and guess what? Same 100% gpu usage and same 37 fps. Weird!

I dunno if there is anything in this thread that ay help you.

For the OP I think it was his outboard software. For others it was a the saved games folder and a complete GPU driver wipe and reinstall that sorted it.  Usual question - any mods?  If you have you can rename your saved game folder, run a repair and see if that makes a difference. Any settings you can transfer from the original folder afterwards. I think that there are a couple of boat mods at present causing issues but I tink that relates to lighting effects.   

6 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I dunno if there is anything in this thread that ay help you.

For the OP I think it was his outboard software. For others it was a the saved games folder and a complete GPU driver wipe and reinstall that sorted it.  Usual question - any mods?  If you have you can rename your saved game folder, run a repair and see if that makes a difference. Any settings you can transfer from the original folder afterwards. I think that there are a couple of boat mods at present causing issues but I tink that relates to lighting effects.   

Hey,

If I restore the saved games folder to its original name after the repair will it undo any potential benefit. I'd really like to keep my control inputs etc as they take so long to redo.

Ive tried deleting metashaders2 but it made no difference. I haven't yet tried deleting the fxo folder. Just to confirm, I should only be deleting these from the saved games folder right?

cheers

@Boosterdog I understand the GPU driver wipe and reinstall, but what are you suggesting to try for the saved games folder?  Did this help you at all? 

My fps are still shot, and even removing msaa does absolutely nothing... I'm open to trying (nearly) anything to get back to pre 2.7.7 smoothness...

cheers

1 hour ago, Shibbyland said:

If I restore the saved games folder to its original name after the repair will it undo any potential benefit. I'd really like to keep my control inputs etc as they take so long to redo.

Ive tried deleting metashaders2 but it made no difference. I haven't yet tried deleting the fxo folder. Just to confirm, I should only be deleting these from the saved games folder right?

If all you want to keep is your control inputs, simply copy what's in "Saved Games/DCS.../Config/Input".

If you also want to keep your SP logbook (campagin progress, rewards...), copy "Saved Games/DCS.../MissionEditor/logbook.lua".

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

35 minutes ago, Flappie said:

If all you want to keep is your control inputs, simply copy what's in "Saved Games/DCS.../Config/Input".

If you also want to keep your SP logbook (campagin progress, rewards...), copy "Saved Games/DCS.../MissionEditor/logbook.lua".

Roger dodger, cheers for that.

I'll give it a go, I'm not having much luck with anything I've tried yet. What's odd is even if I reduce the graphics to low the performance is still worse than it was on high on the previous patch, although it does improve a bit.

1 hour ago, Shibbyland said:

Hey,

Just to confirm, I should only be deleting these from the saved games folder right?

Just copy over the files you need into the new saved games folder that will be created when the game runs as Flappie says. Fxo  and meta shaders  are deleted from saved games that correct.

1 hour ago, pngflyer said:

@Boosterdog I understand the GPU driver wipe and reinstall, but what are you suggesting to try for the saved games folder?  Did this help you at all? 

My fps are still shot, and even removing msaa does absolutely nothing... I'm open to trying (nearly) anything to get back to pre 2.7.7 smoothness...

cheers

It has helped some fix issues. Personally it did improve the FPS in one OB install on one occasion but did not fully bring it back to 276 levels. I assume there was a mod or some other historic hack causing this for me.  

In not suggesting it’s a fix to the loss seen in 277.  Just something for to try for the guy who seems to be suffering from more than that loss. 

Me again, sharing some data.

I had the chance to reactivate an old computer.

- I put it together with a old Geforce grafic card,
- installed a new windows 64 bit pro, and then
- Installed very fresh DCS Open Beta 2.7.8 (crutial, first installed fresh OB)
- installed Stable 2.7.6
- made performance measures

Guess what....

Open Beta 2.7.8: 36,5 FPS
Stable 2.7.6:        43,4 FPS

As metioned in a previous post, I pointed out the settings, that have a bigger effect on this performance drop, like shadows and resolution. So I've chosen these settings that shows the bug.
As always, all my data attached.

Even though it would be really hard for me to belive in any more "cannot reproduce", but after all the time I am really interested in a official comment to this topic - if there is any news.

Screen_211204_215038.png

Tracks&Logs.zip Stable.2.7.6.csv OpenBeta_2.7.8.csv

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

2 hours ago, Limaro said:

Even though it would be really hard for me to belive in any more "cannot reproduce", but after all the time I am really interested in a official comment to this topic - if there is any news.

Credit to you again Limaro for not giving up. Comment would indeed be appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Limaro said:

I am really interested in a official comment to this topic - if there is any news.

Based on my previous experience with such reports, you won't get any.

The topic is already marked as "reported" ("We've heard you, okay?"), and will most certainly be closed as "no longer relevant" in time for the 2.8.0 release.

Dima | My DCS uploads

This happened in the past as well. Even if looking at bare land at lowered settings, the ground stuttered. Then after some patches it improved again. Compared to 2.6.4. I need to switch off either 2xmsaa or completely turn off ground shadows to get previous performance. It is a pity since it looks so good. 

8 hours ago, =37.Sqn= Mjugen said:

They just don't care. We here are mere anomaly, like 0,01 user base or smth...........

Limaro has replicated it now on 3 machines. I have done the same on 5 machines now and on three of those with and without Fresh OS, with and without  full game reinstalls with  OS patched and unpatched from 1904 to 21h2, and through 5 gpu drivers spanning back to 425 and on both intel and AMD chips. There’s reference to a performance hit in lots of threads to  

I don’t think it’s an anomaly. That more haven’t picked up on it is odd but, to me at least, so is the fact that someone in 2d can play the game at 37 fps with TIR and say it’s smooth. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, =37.Sqn= Mjugen said:

Bro, fact is that DCS lost FPS from 2.7.6 to 2.7.7. but they turned blind eye because 10 people are vocal not 5000....

Yup I know. I misunderstood  the annom...anonom....anmollo......being the odd ones out comment 🙂

Personaly, i've quit playing DCS right after 277 release. Had mostly 60fps (locked) on max, 2k, and it was lowest acceptable value. After patch it's 45-50. Not acceptable. Now since new rig is out of reach (in terms of money and availability) i just regret buying, like an idiot, Ah-64 and even Channel Map (for Mosquito, which i thank fully did not buy)

48 minutes ago, Flappie said:

A performance fix is on the way. I don't know if it fixes the 2.7.7 FPS drop, because I haven't tested it yet. I'll let you know as soon as I perform a new test.

Have you test it yet?

What about now?

Have you tested it yet? 

🙂

• Like 2