How do I get autopilot to work?

CBenson89

I haven’t flown the tomcat in some time but my autopilot reference command doesn’t remove the ap ref message any more thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I turn on my autopilot altitude and heading hold flip engage on and go to press the AP reference and nothing happens is there something I’m missing thanks!

You need to get the vertical velocity to 0, in a steady level flight and then click the nose wheel steering button. 

Then the "a/p reef light" should go off and autopilot is flying the aircraft. Is very important the the vertical velocity is close to cero. If not it will not engage.

image.png

Edited by RPY Variable
  • Thanks 1

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

13 hours ago, RPY Variable said:

You need to get the vertical velocity to 0, in a steady level flight and then click the nose wheel steering button. 

Then the "a/p reef light" should go off and autopilot is flying the aircraft. Is very important the the vertical velocity is close to cero. If not it will not engage.

image.png

After the last patch, it is nearly impossible to get the vertice velocity to zero. Turns good, but can't trim it for shit no matter what anymore. 

Personally, I don't have too much of a problem but IIRC the limits are ± 200 FPM, there might also be a constraint for the rate of change of vertical velocity but not sure.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

21 hours ago, Mopeyranger0681 said:

After the last patch, it is nearly impossible to get the vertice velocity to zero. Turns good, but can't trim it for shit no matter what anymore. 

Not sure why you think that, trim switch works fine for me. I have no issues engaging the AP, it's the behavior after it's engaged that is wonky.

On 11/8/2021 at 7:16 PM, Biggus said:

Yup, no issues with trim here.  What I do have an issue with is that if you aren't quite within the parameters for the alt hold to engage, pressing the NWS button to engage it seems to generate a pitch-down moment.

The alt hold pushes the nose down causing it to exceed the 200fpm limit kicking off alt hold. I’ve gotten it to work at 32k feet standard temp/pressure but above that I can’t.

On 11/8/2021 at 2:14 AM, Mopeyranger0681 said:

doesn't need to be 0, you need to be within 200 fpm. if you are withing that envelope you should be able to engage the AP once you oress NWS.

...I flew the F-14 yesterday and the AP does work as described in the update report from Heatblur (vertical velocity needs to be within +/- 200 fpm).

However, you should be either well below Mach 1 or above, if you are close to sonic speed, the vertical velocity gets crazy (don't know if that is a bug or intended).

Intel Core i5-12600KF, 6x 3.60 GHz, 4xE, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, Windows 11. VR in Reverb G2 and Oculus Quest 2

7 hours ago, Thomas_LOLW said:

if you are close to sonic speed, the vertical velocity gets crazy (don't know if that is a bug or intended).

It's real behavior in transsonic region.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 11/8/2021 at 12:11 PM, Callsign JoNay said:

Not sure why you think that, trim switch works fine for me. I have no issues engaging the AP, it's the behavior after it's engaged that is wonky.

This is the issue I have. When I settle between +/-200FPM ref light will go out but will then pitch down, once I get -1000fpm light comes back on. They said it's a wip, so we'll see what happens with the next update.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

All issues known and being worked on. The new FM changes simply demand for an autopilot overhaul from us, aka rebuilding parts from scratch and making it better and more adjustable for the future, too. Thank you for your kind patience and for your reports.

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

All issues known and being worked on. The new FM changes simply demand for an autopilot overhaul from us, aka rebuilding parts from scratch and making it better and more adjustable for the future, too. Thank you for your kind patience and for your reports.

Thanks for making a kick ass module!

• Like 1