DCS Livery Manager

Sneep

install.jpg

DCS Livery Manager on DCS User Files

DCS Livery Manager Source Code on GitHub

Introducing DCS Livery Manager (DCSLM)! This console/terminal UI program is meant to make installing liveries from the DCS User Files site as easy as possible. There is no standard to how liveries are uploaded to DCS User Files; the archive format, the folder hierarchy within, or livery packs can all vary. With this application, all you need to do is pass it the URL or ID of the livery and it will figure all of that out for you! You are also be able to install to multiple compatible units when applicable, like the A-10A, A-10C and A-10C II, which can all use the same liveries. Additionally, DCSLM can check for updates to installed liveries from DCS User Files.

Another key feature is optimizing installed livery packs, or liveries across multiple units. Many packs share the same textures across the liveries that are included, and the optimize command can detect those shared files, update the description.lua files to point to the same one, and remove the duplicate files. This helps keep the size on disk of your liveries low as some liveries can be hundreds of MB in size.

optimize.jpg

Pre-Requisites

DCSLM relies on you having an archive application installed to be able to extract the files. While other programs can work, it's highly recommended you install 7-Zip (https://www.7-zip.org/download.html) which is a free, open-source application that can handle every archive file type you will encounter on DCS User Files! This also requires that 7-Zip is able to be found on your Windows envrionment path, which a proper install will do. If DCSLM can't find 7-Zip a message will be displayed on launch.

Windows Defender may incorrectly flag DCSLM as a trojan as it is an unsigned application, but I promise you nothing funky is going on in this program! You will need to add an exception for this program to your Windows Defender, or other anti-virus applications, if it keeps removing it. You can view all of the source code on the github page.

Installation

Place DCSLM.exe in to your DCS Saved Games directory (ex. C:\Users\pearc\Saved Games\DCS). Do NOT place it in your core DCS install directory as it will not work properly there.

You can also use DCSLM in conjunction with with a mod manager (i.e. OVGME, JSGME) by placing DCSLM.exe in the folder that is configured to be installed to your DCS Saved Games directory. DCSLM will create a root folder for each livery installed to make them work properly with your mod manager.

Usage

To install a livery you simply use the install command followed by 1 or more livery URLs or IDs from DCS User Files. This will attempt to download and install the livery. See the first image above for a livery installation example. The uninstall command will remove a livery installed through DCSLM.

There are many more commands available to you within DCSLM. You can learn more about these by using the help command, which will provide you with a list of commands as well as their flags and arguments, as well as descriptions of them. Below are some of the commands and their function:

info

Displays information about the given installed livery ID, such as their DCS User Files data, what unit(s) it was installed to, the names of liveries installed with it, and the installed livery paths.

info.jpg

list

Prints a list of the liveries installed and registered through DCSLM.

list.jpg

units

Shows the list of all units that are configured to be installed to. Currently, this is all of the player flyable aircraft modules. It's possible to add your own configuration files (see readme on GitHub for more information) so that you can install to mods and AI aircraft, as well as ground or sea units.

units_all.jpg

When passed a specific unit, this command will print the configuration for that unit. A properly configured unit needs all this information to make sure liveries get installed correctly.

units.jpg

There are more command explanations on the GitHub page for DCSLM:

DCS Livery Manager Source Code on GitHub

DCS Livery Manager on DCS User Files

Release Notes -

v1.2.0 (11/16/2023):

• Added installing directly from an archive file
  • Added automatic unit detection from livery description.lua based on livery parts
  • Added unit detection when the livery folder is already within a unit's folder
  • Added installing to multiple units from one pack
  • Added additional DCSLM upgrade method using DCS User Files
  • Added F-15E, Black Shark 3 (Ka-50_3), Mirage F1BE to units
  • Fixed FA-18C DCS User Files name
  • Updated J-11A unit default parts

v1.1.4 (4/10/2023):

• Fixed install error with incorrect DCS User Files download url
  • Fixed upgrade unable to download new exe

v1.1.3 (7/18/2022):

• Added colors to units command to differentiate between official and unofficial modules
  • Added reminder message to check for updates to liveries
  • Added message of the day with info on registered liveries
  • Added output of removed files during optimization
  • Added progress numbering to install, uninstall, and optimization
  • Removed forced width on console window
  • Fixed extremely long livery names breaking livery list table
  • Fixed error when listing liveries for units that no longer have a config
  • Fixed break in uninstall preventing uninstallation of multiple liveries
  • Improved error messaging when trying to hash missing file during optimization

v1.1.2 (4/30/2022):

• Added Apache to default units and Mosquito DCS User Files name
  • Fixed issue with installing livery with no root folder
  • Added 'all' arg to 'uninstall' and 'optimize' commands
  • Fixed optimize hash function only looking for .dds images

v1.1.1 (1/8/2022):

• Fixed failed parsing of datetime on github release page
  • Fixed DCSLM exiting on failed github releases parse
  • Fixed DCSLM trying to create unit folders without DCSLM root directory
  • Fixed setting working directory from exe argument

v1.1.0 (1/1/2022):

• 7-Zip will now be the preferred program for extraction if installed
  • Fixed path generation for WinRAR
  • Fixed parsing GitHub release page for upgrade information
  • Added verbosity (-v, --verbose) to install command
  • Added screenshots (-s, --screenshots) to install command to download livery screenshots from DCSUF
  • Added executable arguments for running commands on launch (use help for more info)

Hope you enjoy the program! If you have any questions feel free to post them in this thread. Any issues can also be reported on the GitHub page under the issues tab.

Edited by Sneep
v1.2.0 Release notes
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 8

This is a fantastic tool !!!

Could be an option to download the preview picture of the downloaded livery? This could help a lot to identify what's what and where !

And that optimization feature when there are multiple similar liveries is absolutely outstanding. Can you please provide a kind of feature to run this optimization for an existing set of skins? Like an offline version let's say!

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

2 hours ago, Abburo said:

This is a fantastic tool !!!

Could be an option to download the preview picture of the downloaded livery? This could help a lot to identify what's what and where !

And that optimization feature when there are multiple similar liveries is absolutely outstanding. Can you please provide a kind of feature to run this optimization for an existing set of skins? Like an offline version let's say!

Unfortunately I don't think I can display an image inside a console/terminal. Ideally you are getting these livery URLs/IDs yourself by browsing the DCS User File site so you would have screenshots of the livery open already. I have thought of this for if I ever make a GUI for this application, though!

For your other ask, I've thought about that feature too, but it risks messing up a lot of liveries that aren't managed by my application and could be hard to fix. When you install a livery through my tool, it keeps track of what ones were installed together (whether it's a livery pack or multiple units) which makes it easy to optimize when it knows what livery folders to look at. And if the optimize command happened to break something it's easy to reinstall and fix the liveries through my tool as well. It's not an impossible idea, but not really advisable. If you still think it's something you'd like to use feel free to let me know and I'll put some more thought in to it 🙂

Thank you for your replies.

Regarding the "logo" pics, it will be good enough just have those pics on the drive, along with skin itself... i could do a quick search for any pics and can have a quick glance what i have in there. It does not need to be displayed in console at all... This logo download might stay as an on/off option in your tool configuration.

The second option, maybe can be delivered like a stand alone function for those interested in. There might be the case were there are squadron liveries which can be optimized. 

Regarding this, I am not even aware how the changes in description.lua have to look like so that they can use files from alternative folders. Can you please share just this ? 

This is really outstanding work.  I've been wondering for YEARS now how DCS has somehow never had a livery manager made by the user community when it seems that every other flight sim out there has.  So I really appreciate the work you've put into this!

Understanding that this is a command-line utility rather than a GUI, I wanted to pose this question: manually importing DCS user files IDs or links is a very different process from how I currently install skins, and I'm wondering if there's any possibility of your tool eventually being able to be just be set as 'open with' in Windows right-click menu?  I tend to download a whole bunch of skins at once and then import them into OVGME.  In other words, do you foresee any means of using your tool to operate on individual already-downloaded skin zip files?  For me at least, that would tremendously boost its utility.  

On 11/12/2021 at 3:43 AM, Abburo said:

Thank you for your replies.

Regarding the "logo" pics, it will be good enough just have those pics on the drive, along with skin itself... i could do a quick search for any pics and can have a quick glance what i have in there. It does not need to be displayed in console at all... This logo download might stay as an on/off option in your tool configuration.

The second option, maybe can be delivered like a stand alone function for those interested in. There might be the case were there are squadron liveries which can be optimized. 

Regarding this, I am not even aware how the changes in description.lua have to look like so that they can use files from alternative folders. Can you please share just this ? 

Ah, I see what you mean with the screenshots. I think something like that would be possible! I will see if I can implement it. I think it would be something that's part of the livery install command as an optional flag.

For your second request, I might take a look in to that...you'd probably have to select with units and liveries you'd want to optimize between. How it works is it finds .dds files that are the exact same between the livery folders (easy to know which folders when they are installed together in a pack), and then chooses one for all of the liveries description.lua files to reference. It's just changing the filepaths from something like:

{"MiG-15_MAIN", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"MiG-15_DIF_ussr_RoughMet",false};

Into something like:

{"MiG-15_MAIN", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"../29 Sqn - Generic/MiG-15_DIF_ussr_RoughMet",false};

DCS accepts this as a valid relative filepath and the result is they all now look at the same file on disk.

On 11/12/2021 at 4:52 PM, GregP said:

This is really outstanding work.  I've been wondering for YEARS now how DCS has somehow never had a livery manager made by the user community when it seems that every other flight sim out there has.  So I really appreciate the work you've put into this!

Understanding that this is a command-line utility rather than a GUI, I wanted to pose this question: manually importing DCS user files IDs or links is a very different process from how I currently install skins, and I'm wondering if there's any possibility of your tool eventually being able to be just be set as 'open with' in Windows right-click menu?  I tend to download a whole bunch of skins at once and then import them into OVGME.  In other words, do you foresee any means of using your tool to operate on individual already-downloaded skin zip files?  For me at least, that would tremendously boost its utility.  

Thank you! Glad you like it. For your idea I've had a similar thought, but the first thing it requires is actually installing this as a more proper application instead of just having an .exe you drag in to your DCS Saved Games/OVGME directory since it requires editing/adding an entry to the windows registry. If I were to go down the path of creating a GUI I think this would be more viable so I'll keep it in mind.

I will note that you can install multiple liveries at once, so you could just copy and paste all the URLs of the liveries you want to install in to one line and use that with the install command to do it all at once.

• Like 2

Much appreciated your input @Sneep !!! I wasn't aware about this feature at all !!!

Your tool looks exceptional great and can cover one of the biggest misses for DCS. I am thinking at the Arma3 Launcher which is able to read what mods are required by a specific server, then it might allow the user to check if those mods are already downloaded, if the versions are correct , then update them accordingly, allowing a user to join. This would make the users experience far greater, by having various other mods installed, like VPC assets, specific livery sets, and so on.

Indeed this would require some rework of repository by ED itself, but this might be doable anyhow. Did you ever considered a partnership with ED for this? Arma3 in the beginnings had also a open source launcher doing the exact same things, then they moved this entirely within Steam. For DCS case, the mods source should remain on ED site... but they would require some rework to standardize how files are presented. Some users upload the mods as OvGME ready, others not... and this is where some effort is required. If needed, and having ED support to allow such a standardization I would also be happy to work on some tedious activities as checking the mods and changing their presentation within.

Also users might be able to create mods profiles by themselves and activating them according with the server they are joining.

Edited by Abburo
  • Like 1

Ku-DOS

• Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

On 11/18/2021 at 1:17 AM, Abburo said:

Much appreciated your input @Sneep !!! I wasn't aware about this feature at all !!!

Your tool looks exceptional great and can cover one of the biggest misses for DCS. I am thinking at the Arma3 Launcher which is able to read what mods are required by a specific server, then it might allow the user to check if those mods are already downloaded, if the versions are correct , then update them accordingly, allowing a user to join. This would make the users experience far greater, by having various other mods installed, like VPC assets, specific livery sets, and so on.

Indeed this would require some rework of repository by ED itself, but this might be doable anyhow. Did you ever considered a partnership with ED for this? Arma3 in the beginnings had also a open source launcher doing the exact same things, then they moved this entirely within Steam. For DCS case, the mods source should remain on ED site... but they would require some rework to standardize how files are presented. Some users upload the mods as OvGME ready, others not... and this is where some effort is required. If needed, and having ED support to allow such a standardization I would also be happy to work on some tedious activities as checking the mods and changing their presentation within.

Also users might be able to create mods profiles by themselves and activating them according with the server they are joining.

I like the idea! You're right that it would require support from ED, but that's entirely up to them if this is something they'd want to pursue 😛. Luckily, this application makes any livery on DCS User Files OVGME/mod manager compatible.

I think a good compromise would be to at least let servers create their 'pack' of liveries which would just be a list of urls/IDs from DCS User Files. That way they it could be fairly simple to install the liveries and keep them up to date. I might not be able to make the enabling/disabling of the pack through OVGME automated but I could at least install them under one entry so it's just one click instead of going through all the liveries individually.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Xerno said:

Hi when I try to install a skin I get the error [WinError 267] The directory name is invalid

I had another user with this issue. Do you have 7-Zip installed? Do you also have WinRAR installed? It's trying to use WinRAR instead of 7-Zip if this is the case. I currently have a fix for that where DCSLM will prefer 7-Zip over any other programs but I haven't released it just yet as I work on additional features. For now you could uninstall WinRAR if it is conflicting with 7-Zip.

• 3 weeks later...

A new update v1.1.0 has been release with some fixes and a couple additions. The download on DCS User Files has been updated and you can also grab the executable from the GitHub release page. Unfortunately, the upgrade feature was broken after v1.0.0 was released due to updates to the GitHub website so you won't be able to upgrade from within DCSLM. This has been fixed in v1.1.0.

Release Notes v1.1.0 (1/1/2022):

• 7-Zip will now be the preferred program for extraction if installed
  • Fixed path generation for WinRAR
  • Fixed parsing GitHub release page for upgrade information
  • Added verbosity (-v, --verbose) to install command
  • Added screenshots (-s, --screenshots) to install command to download livery screenshots from DCSUF
  • Added executable arguments for running commands on launch (use help for more info)
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Sneep

I seem to be having an issue with this version. It will close almost immediately after it opens. Managed to grab a screen capture before it closed and it wasn't showing any errors. Renamed the dcslm.json to see if a freshly generated version would help, no joy.

Have 7-zip installed

Rolled back to the previous version and all is good

Cheers  

Edited by shindawg

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

On 1/2/2022 at 7:24 PM, shindawg said:

Hi @Sneep

I seem to be having an issue with this version. It will close almost immediately after it opens. Managed to grab a screen capture before it closed and it wasn't showing any errors. Renamed the dcslm.json to see if a freshly generated version would help, no joy.

Have 7-zip installed

Rolled back to the previous version and all is good

Cheers 

Thanks for the bug report! I was able to find someone have the same issue that fortunately had an error message to go along with it. I fixed a couple issues that may have been the cause for you with the 1.1.1 release.

v1.1.1 Release Notes:

• Fixed failed parsing of datetime on github release page
  • Fixed DCSLM exiting on failed github releases parse
  • Fixed DCSLM trying to create unit folders without DCSLM root directory
  • Fixed setting working directory from exe argument

https://github.com/pearcebergh/DCSLiveryManager/releases/tag/1.1.1

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, how do you use this mod with liveries you have created yourself and live on your drive?  I have tried using install <path> but i get an error:

DCSLM> install C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop\livery\AH-64D_BLK_II
Attempting to install 1 livery.
Unable to get DCSUF info from livery 'C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop\livery\AH-64D_BLK_II'
Failed Livery Installs:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/64/: Unable to get DCSUF info from livery
'C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop\livery\AH-64D_BLK_II'

Edited by Chad Vader

I have 117GB of liveries for DCS... none installed with DCSLM obviously. SO I would like such program but if it can't work with existing liveries is not very useful to me.
Also. A GUI would be nice but if functionality would be high it would work as a command line app.
Two features are most interesting to me with few as secondary

1. Ability to see the liveries outside of DCS on a 3d model like DCS Model viewer and quickly be able to delete them. Some are old an maybe buggy and I would like to delete them but is too cumbersome inside DCS to do it as it creates errors when trying to access a livery you've just deleted. Not to mention it needs a lot of Alt-tabbing and fiddling.
2. Optimizing - that is one promise of this program but if it can't do it on existing liveries then...

not so important

a. Ability to check assigned countries and lock unlock liveries as user wishes for countries and coalitions. What I normally do is load from time to time 1000+ description.luas in Notepadd++ and search for "Countries=" string and just replace it with "--Countries=" everywhere so I unlock the skins. Why skin creators lock their skins behind specific countries is beyond me... it's like wanting people to have them but not to see them...

b. Ability to update them - would be nice but even nicer would be to e able to download the skins that a server declares the mission uses or even... in one hundred years maybe... people from the server use and you don't have yet but they pass you the string/url and your game downloads them... hopefully optimized in the future... I know I am dreaming but... who knows...

IL-2 sturmovick had this feature.. sure the skins were smaller but big for that time and they were downloaded pee to pee iirc. Even Lomac had something similar I think. Now the skins are really badly optimized... common parts already in game are uselessly introduced only for some minor detail r not even that and also the way they are made are still "old" in DCS... maybe at some point DCS will switch for a more modern way of doing skinning much more like the layers in the templates where most of them are not modified (rivets, dirt, wear, base colors, decals) so they could very well remain in base game and just some layers that are actually new be included in the skin and then transferred. MFS has some... starting measures towards this but not there either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

6 minutes ago, zaelu said:

Why skin creators lock their skins behind specific countries is beyond me... it's like wanting people to have them but not to see them...

Why people would want to use, say, a Luftwaffe livery on a russian aircraft? … its beyond me 🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

6 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Why people would want to use, say, a Luftwaffe livery on a russian aircraft? … its beyond me 🙂

Most of the times things are not as black and white. People create coalitions in their missions... sometimes you have coalitions with those two countries... then people want to have a Luftwaffe Mig29 to reflect their country in that coalition. But most of the times is just a cool skin and people could not care less about the cocards or crosses and stars and whatever othe nationalistic symbols happen to also be on the skin.
But most importantly. There is no point in locking a skin out of a country unless you are offended by that. And then that's on you. Other than that... is an INCLUSIVE option not an EXCLUSIVE option. Nobody would ask to lock a Luftwaffe skin on a Russian country. That would be "beyond" logical.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

1 minute ago, zaelu said:

There is no point in locking a skin out of a country unless you are offended by that.

I do not take offense, but when I’m editing a mission I appreciate when I don't have to wade through extremely long liveries lists, but are instead shown only the skins that actually belong to the aircraft’s set country.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

11 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I do not take offense, but when I’m editing a mission I appreciate when I don't have to wade through extremely long liveries lists, but are instead shown only the skins that actually belong to the aircraft’s set country.

I think a work around for this could be implemented by ED. For example skins could have their countries of origine stated as normal in the description.lua but with a simple tick mark on the side of the drop down list they could be unlocked for all countries if user so wishes. Much like locking now the assets to an era. This way both options would be available.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Quick reply for a new update with default unit configuration for the Apache. I will go back and answer questions in previous posts when I get a chance 🙂 

v1.1.2 Release Notes:

• Added Apache to default units and Mosquito DCS User Files name
  • Fixed issue with installing livery with no root folder
  • Added 'all' arg to 'uninstall' and 'optimize' commands
  • Fixed optimize hash function only looking for .dds images

https://github.com/pearcebergh/DCSLiveryManager/releases/tag/1.1.2

Hi, I really like the tool and it makes the whole process much easier. Thanks for developing this 🙂

Some minor comments about 1.1.2:

• I see a lot of issues in the form "Unable to hash ...", even for liveries that optimized successfully on previous versions
    • image.png
    • It would be nice to have a "reinstall all" option, just to make sure all liveries are correct if optimization fails
  • The "list" command does not seem to respect a terminal size change. The plane name and id appear to be truncated even if the terminal is large enough.
    • Similar issue, the id column is truncated if any livery name is too large (e.g "14th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, PA-982, RAF Chalgrove,  England, 1945", id=3318761) making it difficult to find the id of a livery to uninstall. It might be useful to always show the id and truncate the name further.
      image.png

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of replies from me recently, but here's some answers to your posts:

On 4/2/2022 at 7:55 AM, Chad Vader said:

Hi, how do you use this mod with liveries you have created yourself and live on your drive?  I have tried using install <path> but i get an error:

DCSLM> install C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop\livery\AH-64D_BLK_II
Attempting to install 1 livery.
Unable to get DCSUF info from livery 'C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop\livery\AH-64D_BLK_II'
Failed Livery Installs:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/64/: Unable to get DCSUF info from livery
'C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop\livery\AH-64D_BLK_II'

Currently you cannot install from any source than the DCS User Files website. I plan on adding a feature to allow installing from local zip files.

On 4/3/2022 at 1:35 PM, zaelu said:

I have 117GB of liveries for DCS... none installed with DCSLM obviously. SO I would like such program but if it can't work with existing liveries is not very useful to me.
Also. A GUI would be nice but if functionality would be high it would work as a command line app.
Two features are most interesting to me with few as secondary

1. Ability to see the liveries outside of DCS on a 3d model like DCS Model viewer and quickly be able to delete them. Some are old an maybe buggy and I would like to delete them but is too cumbersome inside DCS to do it as it creates errors when trying to access a livery you've just deleted. Not to mention it needs a lot of Alt-tabbing and fiddling.
2. Optimizing - that is one promise of this program but if it can't do it on existing liveries then...

not so important

a. Ability to check assigned countries and lock unlock liveries as user wishes for countries and coalitions. What I normally do is load from time to time 1000+ description.luas in Notepadd++ and search for "Countries=" string and just replace it with "--Countries=" everywhere so I unlock the skins. Why skin creators lock their skins behind specific countries is beyond me... it's like wanting people to have them but not to see them...

b. Ability to update them - would be nice but even nicer would be to e able to download the skins that a server declares the mission uses or even... in one hundred years maybe... people from the server use and you don't have yet but they pass you the string/url and your game downloads them... hopefully optimized in the future... I know I am dreaming but... who knows...

IL-2 sturmovick had this feature.. sure the skins were smaller but big for that time and they were downloaded pee to pee iirc. Even Lomac had something similar I think. Now the skins are really badly optimized... common parts already in game are uselessly introduced only for some minor detail r not even that and also the way they are made are still "old" in DCS... maybe at some point DCS will switch for a more modern way of doing skinning much more like the layers in the templates where most of them are not modified (rivets, dirt, wear, base colors, decals) so they could very well remain in base game and just some layers that are actually new be included in the skin and then transferred. MFS has some... starting measures towards this but not there either.

1. This would probably require creating a new application, but it does remind me of my attempts to use the DCS model viewer to view liveries. I'll see if there's anything there for this sort of use.

2. I see the issue. Since I already plan on adding installing from a local zip, I'll see if I can try to have DCSLM register existing liveries that weren't installed by this app.

a. I've thought about this, and I didn't want to add it to my application since there's already quite a few apps out there that already do just this. Definitely open to adding it to this if more people want it.

b. Yeah I would love this feature too, but it would require support inside DCS from ED. This app can only go so far 🙂 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:20 AM, ahairyrat said:

Hi, I really like the tool and it makes the whole process much easier. Thanks for developing this 🙂

Some minor comments about 1.1.2:

• I see a lot of issues in the form "Unable to hash ...", even for liveries that optimized successfully on previous versions
    • image.png
    • It would be nice to have a "reinstall all" option, just to make sure all liveries are correct if optimization fails
  • The "list" command does not seem to respect a terminal size change. The plane name and id appear to be truncated even if the terminal is large enough.
    • Similar issue, the id column is truncated if any livery name is too large (e.g "14th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, PA-982, RAF Chalgrove,  England, 1945", id=3318761) making it difficult to find the id of a livery to uninstall. It might be useful to always show the id and truncate the name further.
      image.png

I believe the first is an issue from a fix I attempted in allowing other files than just .dds to be used for a livery, when it has been assumed before. I'll try to get it fixed soon 🙂 

Thanks for the image! I'll see if I can get that formatting fixed.

• Like 2