G2 unplayable stutters

RvL

I have another topic about some G2 issues i had. But the main issue, the immense stutters im getting still isnt fixed.

I hope by making this topic just only about the stutter issue might get more attention and there might be someone with a fix.

The problem:

Im having extreme stutters making it unplayable in VR. 

I have tried so many settings, reinstalls of DCS, reinstalls of Windows 10 and 11, reinstalls of WMR abd SteamVR and what not trying to solve it without any difference.

Im getting ungoing stutters moving my head, whether its in the DCS home menu or while being in a cockpit.

Also my fps is acting weirdly. My fps is fluctuating and mostly being arround 60fps in DCS menus.

All this has started when i had to replace my motherboard and reinstall everything i had on my SSD's.

I have tried every setting, refitting hardware, testing another G2 and yesterday i have bought a new motherboard again hoping somehow that would fix it since it the problem started with replacing it a month ago. But again, no luck.

I have no idea what else i can do. For more then a month im busy trying to solve this issue, spent many precious hours on it and im stuck with exactly the same problem.

My older Rift S still works flawless and smooth, no stutter. My G2 even stutters having SS set at 20% having way worse graphics then my Rift S. 

My G2 didnt have these stutters before i had to replace my MB and reinstall Windows and i could play multiplayer with even over 100% SS and not even having these stutters im having now.

You would say it has something to do with WMR and SteamVR, while their home  menus like cliffhouse works totally smooth, the issue starts when starting DCS and the stutters begin.

Its making no sense..

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

Zotac RTX 3070. Ryzen 5 5600X. Corsair 32GB ram at 3200mhz. Samsung 2x250 GB Evo SSD's. Sharknoon 750W Gold PSU. Currently since yesterday using a MSI MPG B550 Gaming plus motherboard.

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

based on your frame time graphs for your other post (and hint, put your data in one place rather than spamming them across multiple threads) You are definitely GPU bound.

Given your card is a 3070, it will really depend on your settings, but if your steam resolution is set at 100%, i would suggest your CRM for DCS needs to be about 50% and I would force your Motion smoothing on...

you will be thinking but my rift-s was OK ... your rift s was driving about 1/4 of the pixels of the Steam VR Resolution per eye  at 100% G2 (it up samples to correct for barrel distortion correction from 2160x2160 to 3168x 3096 at 100%).  At 50% you will still be driving about double the pixels... also do not overlook the impact of the refresh rate difference between the Rift and G2 80 vs 90 hz  effectively 1/8th more pixels in the same time.

Hope that helps 

I don't know the Ryzen side of the house side of the house but maybe someone can suggest some settings there ... as well...  that might help as well

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks for your feedback Speed.

Im well aware of the better resolution the G2 has over the rift S.

But the stutters are not making sense. I didnt had these stutters before my motherboard/Windows change.

Even at 20% SteamVR SS and my graphics are way worse then my Rift S im still having these stutters.

Something is definitely off causing these stutters. 

i assume you have upgraded your firmware for your MB ? and are useing the latest chipset drivers for it , i know there was an issue that was corrected in W11... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

i assume you have upgraded your firmware for your MB ? and are useing the latest chipset drivers for it , i know there was an issue that was corrected in W11... 

Yep.

I see i havent mentioned something at all what might be helpfull.

The stutters only appear in the headset and being in the cockpit when moving my head. Like its a tracking issue.

When i press f2 or any other outside view its all smooth. Even though there is still something off with my fps. Its like motion reprojection isnt working causing my fps to go all over the place being mostly arround the 60fps.

At the moment somehow my fps in DCS homescreen is back at 90fps and no stutters. 

Now whats left is solving the in cockpit stutters which are in every aircraft.

Changing all the motion smoothing and motion reprojection settings are making no change in game.

Edited by RvL
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 0414 Wee Neal said:

I assume you have selected the VR pre-set as a starting point?

Yes. But most settings doesnt make a difference.

I used to be able to play with mssaa x2 at 80% SS without these stutters.

Im also getting a lot of SteamVR errors saying " SteamVR is disabled because ir crashed the last time it ran. Would you like to try again?"

Edited by RvL

I have selected 60hz in the WMR settings. Somehow this is giving me a very smooth experience and all the stutters are gone.

But the flashing white lights makes it not easy on the eyes.

Its weird cause a few days ago when i tried the 60hz setting this also gave me stutters.

Edit: another session in 60hz and im getting the stutters again but depending on where i look.

Edit: Went back to 90hz again and the stutters are back again in the DCS VR hangar menu with the fps stuck at 60fps instead of 90.

Its all making no sense at al. 

Edited by RvL

Been testing some more hours.

Using the OpenVRSettingsUX.exe and switching things up again and having reprojection there set at 'per app' i somehow got smooth motion back in the cockpit. Its a big difference compared to the stutters i had. My fps is even forced at 45fps!

Weird thing is i have tried this setting many times before and somehow now that made a difference. Glad it did. Finally something made a difference at all!

But, its like it always comes with a 'but', and thats i seem to have some artifacts or ghosting at some places in my screen.

Like when moving my mouse over clickable things in the DCS menus i see this happening. Never used to have this before. And i still see performance loss that my pc is having a hardtime keeping the fps even at 45fps while i have my SteamVR SS at 50%.

I have no idea if this is caused by whatever has happend since i switched motherboard and had to reinstall Windows, or its a coincidence i did this while the last DCS patch came out and that brought the performance loss with it. I read there are many players reporting this in de 'performance bug' section of the forum, saying they see more then 15% fps loss which is crucial for VR.

Where do you plug in the usb c?  I have had issues with my connection on my motherboard?

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

17 minutes ago, 0414 Wee Neal said:

Where do you plug in the usb c?  I have had issues with my connection on my motherboard?

Without the adapter right into the USB C port.

Checked HAGS and i have no idea how, but that damn thing was on while i thought it was off. 

I disabled it and bam, smooth gameplay.  There is still something weird going on causing motion smoothing being disabled sometimes in game causing my fps fluctuating between 45 and 80fps for seconds before it gets stable at 45 again.

I turned down SS to 50% what seems to minimize the fluctuating fps.

But overall there is much improvement by disabling HAGS.

I have no idea how it was enabled again. I have been switching up so many settings the past few weeks, maybe i looked over this one with the latest Windows reinstall, not sure.

Gonna have some more testing to do to fix those out of nowhere fluctuating fps which also causes stutters. But im glad the overall stutters are gone.

17 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

try forcing rather than enabling  motion smoothing

Tried that, but the fluctuating fps still happen, specially looking to the left or right from the cockpit down to the ground.

I also notice with forcing motion smoothing i get some strange graphical glitch looking like ghosting arround buttons even in the menus.

hmmm something sounds off have you done this 

WMR for Steam VR Settings

I use the beta version of Steam VR and Windows Mixed Reality Portal for VR

The changes I make for WMR for Steam VR Settings, I let SteamVR manage its Motion Reprojection for DCS and other VR games:

WMR4SVR Settings.png

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

7 minutes ago, RvL said:

Tried that, but the fluctuating fps still happen, specially looking to the left or right from the cockpit down to the ground.

I also notice with forcing motion smoothing i get some strange graphical glitch looking like ghosting arround buttons even in the menus.

I get the same. Easy trade off though considering MS off is unbearably jerky.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

@speed-of-heat yep done that. There are i believe 2 more settings in that graphics tab about vram and something else. The vram option box is checked. Not sure about how that effects performance. Any idea?

@Sr. Yeah its not that noticible, but im hoping to fix something else having my performance back i used to have a few weeks back when i didnt need to force it and having these glitches.

1 hour ago, RvL said:

@speed-of-heat yep done that. There are i believe 2 more settings in that graphics tab about vram and something else. The vram option box is checked. Not sure about how that effects performance. Any idea?

@Sr. Yeah its not that noticible, but im hoping to fix something else having my performance back i used to have a few weeks back when i didnt need to force it and having these glitches.

This was a much debated and widely reported issue the devs are looking into. For now, I have simply dialed back my SteamVR SS to a level where I can maintain 14-17 ms GPU frametimes in Caucuses and still have a readable cockpit.  I've also decided I like flying NTTC a lot more lately.

Curious what your GPU temps are hitting when running DCS?

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, RvL said:

I leave everything else at default

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

This was a much debated and widely reported issue the devs are looking into. For now, I have simply dialed back my SteamVR SS to a level where I can maintain 14-17 ms GPU frametimes in Caucuses and still have a readable cockpit.  I've also decided I like flying NTTC a lot more lately.

Curious what your GPU temps are hitting when running DCS?

I just did some tests playing at 60hz mode and forcing motion reprojection still giving me smooth experience and only had 1 moment where my fps went fluctuating into the 50's/60's checking some other players online pressing F2.

Iam experiencing some ghosting looking arround a aircraft with F2, but it doesnt bother me that much. I also must say the white flickering from the 60hz mode is something i get used to by playing for a few minutes.

Right now i have my steamVR SS at 80hz, most visual setting at medium to low and msaa at 2x.

My gpu temp doesnt go higher then 65 degrees celcius.

Checking my frametime with FpsVR im arround the 20ms.

21 minutes ago, RvL said:

I just did some tests playing at 60hz mode and forcing motion reprojection still giving me smooth experience and only had 1 moment where my fps went fluctuating into the 50's/60's checking some other players online pressing F2.

Iam experiencing some ghosting looking arround a aircraft with F2, but it doesnt bother me that much. I also must say the white flickering from the 60hz mode is something i get used to by playing for a few minutes.

Right now i have my steamVR SS at 80hz, most visual setting at medium to low and msaa at 2x.

My gpu temp doesnt go higher then 65 degrees celcius.

Checking my frametime with FpsVR im arround the 20ms.

Ah, so you're in multiplayer? How's everything perform in single mode?

--Arthur C Clark