Spitfire vs V1...modules needed?

WytchCrypt

Hi all,

I'm a long time sim jet guy (Flanker 1.5 Su27/33 since the mid 90's then DCS Hornet) but also a bit of a European theater WWII history nut.  I've always wanted to fly a Spitfire and take out incoming V1's!  What DCS modules/terrain would I need to make a mission like this happen?  Obviously the Spitfire Mk IX and then either the Channel or Normandy map (recommendations please).  Do I also need the WWII Assets Pack?

Right now DCS is having a cool bundle of the Spitfire & Channel Map, though I've heard the Channel Map is significantly smaller than the Normandy map.  Not sure I care though...as long as the Channel Map has the white cliffs of Dover 🙂

Also, I'm a single mode only player and make my own missions.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

I don't think that the version we have can catch a v1.  You probably need a mk14 or Typhoon, and 150 octane fuel for that.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

You need the Assets pack, the V1 mod that makes it launchable and the aircraft and map of your choice.

After setting up your own mission on the map of your choice, you can then proceed to shoot them down. Note that the Spitfire Mk. IX is just enough fast to catch up with them in DCS right now.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info all 👍

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

Spitfire IX were used on Operation Diver against the V1, however as they were operating from the UK as part of ADGB (Air Defence Great Britain) they were using 150 Octane Fuel which we don't have access to currently. 

Also as the name suggest the speeds of the V1 meant that the best way to intercept them were to fly high above and wait for radar confirmation on the area and direction before diving.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

16 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

I believe that in the mod, the speed of the V1 has been decreased to allow the Spitfire to compensate for this problem...

Perhaps DCS will decrease the speed of other adversary aircraft to compensate for not having historical 150 Octane fuel made available as an option.  

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by Talisman_VR

Bell_UH-1 side.png

19 hours ago, Reflected said:

We do have a V-1 launcher in game (not just a static), but it's WIP and it doesn't launch. I hope ED will finish it soon.

5 hours ago, titi69 said:

You can use this SUNTSAG Mod and you should own WWII asset pack

I also shared modified in game V1 templates with launchable V1, and was able to chase V1 with spitfire , but i was not able to have AI doing it

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319343/

One of the great things about DCS is the great community that supports it. I watch all of SUNTSAG's stuff, he has some of the most helpful stuff on YouTube. And I really do admire watching others use all the great community mods that are out there. I would definitely pay for the WWII ships that the community has put up for example, but I have had so much trouble trying to run mods that I just gave up. So yeah it would be nice to see this stuff making it into the game.

4 hours ago, Morat said:

Did the Mosquito have 150 Octane for chasing V1s as well?

This leads to an interesting question...what RAF aircraft were actually able to chase down V-1's and take them out by wing tipping or guns?

From Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb

The next most successful interceptors were the Mosquito (623 victories),[68] Spitfire XIV (303),[f] and Mustang (232). All other types combined added 158. Even though it was not fully operational, the jet-powered Gloster Meteor was rushed into service with No. 616 Squadron RAF to fight the V-1s. It had ample speed but its cannons were prone to jamming, and it shot down only 13 V-1s.[70]

Edited by Tanuki44

49 minutes ago, WytchCrypt said:

This leads to an interesting question...what RAF aircraft were actually able to chase down V-1's and take them out by wing tipping or guns?

The tactic seems to have been to wait at altitude then start a vectored dive towards the target once it was identified on radar. V1s flew relatively low (1000m-2000m) and flying at 400mph or so. It’s similar tactically to 109s hunting Mosquitoes over Berlin.

A RN Avenger turret gunner shot down a V1. You can only imagine the faces of the Avenger crew out casually patrolling when the V1 came droning into view 😂 There was another probable with the forward guns it seems.

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2021 at 6:28 PM, WytchCrypt said:

Hi all,

I'm a long time sim jet guy (Flanker 1.5 Su27/33 since the mid 90's then DCS Hornet) but also a bit of a European theater WWII history nut.  I've always wanted to fly a Spitfire and take out incoming V1's!  What DCS modules/terrain would I need to make a mission like this happen?  Obviously the Spitfire Mk IX and then either the Channel or Normandy map (recommendations please).  Do I also need the WWII Assets Pack?

Right now DCS is having a cool bundle of the Spitfire & Channel Map, though I've heard the Channel Map is significantly smaller than the Normandy map.  Not sure I care though...as long as the Channel Map has the white cliffs of Dover 🙂

Also, I'm a single mode only player and make my own missions.

Thanks!

HI, 

starting from SUNTSAG's 3D model of the launchable V-1 (https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/233670-suntsag-lockdown-modsliveries-collection-new-and-revised/) I made a flying mod and a mission  as per this topic...

Chase of the V-1 rocket (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Back on my first tests of the mission in Normandy

The frequency of the client A10 is not correct and prevents the mission from starting, I changed it.

Maybe it's the weather, but in the initial version of SUNTSAG, the trace of the reactor seems more visible and makes it possible to better identify the arrival of the V1.

Similarly, the explosion power seems more important, it's easily destroys the hunter plane even by drawing from a distance.

But no idea which is the most realistic ...

As for switching from the end of the wing the V1, the problem comes from me, I still have work to fly in its height. 🙃

Overall, it's a friendly 'mission' and with good potential (at least it does not pull on me 🤣)