[NO BUG] Gunpod not working when thrusters angled down

HansPeter1981

Hello,

like the title says I was in a dog fight with a Su27 guns only and since he was on my tail since the beginnig I figured the only chance to get him is to slow down dramatically and prevent my own stalling with keeping the thrusters down at least 60%. Sure enough the Su-27 overshot in notime since I was going 160kts and less with very good controlability... perfect position to gun down that Su27 ...

But the gun didn't work because of the thrusters angled down.. is that on porpouse?

I knew about bombs and mavericks being not released  but why should the gunpod not work?

My System specs: Cpu 5800x3d liquid cooled GPU 7900XTX Ram 32GB 3600mhz cl16 Motherboard B550M MSI, Windows 10 PRO on NVMe Drive, DCS on its own SSD, Monitor Philips 32" 4k curved adaptive Sync framerate capped at 59fps, Trackir 5, VKB 

"The Harrier's gun is powered by bleed air from the engine compressor through a valve at the bottom of the engine called the butterfly valve(BFV) which then goes into the gun shut off valve(GSOV) to operate the gun. The Butterfly Valve is also where the bleed air comes from to pressurize the Reaction Control System(RCS). The RCS is the puffer ducts/jets under the nose, tail, each wingtip, and on each side of the tail that allow the pilot to stabilize in Vertical/Short Take Off & Landing(VSTOL) Flight/Hovering. Once the Nozzles are rotated down beyond a certain point, the Butterfly Valve(BFV) opens to block off the Gun Shut Off Valve(GSOV) and sends all the tapped bleed air to the RCS to give the pilot Pitch, Yaw and some Roll control in the Hover. The Gun is not getting the Bleed Air pressure it needs to operate."

I found this on steam and I guess it makes sense...

My System specs: Cpu 5800x3d liquid cooled GPU 7900XTX Ram 32GB 3600mhz cl16 Motherboard B550M MSI, Windows 10 PRO on NVMe Drive, DCS on its own SSD, Monitor Philips 32" 4k curved adaptive Sync framerate capped at 59fps, Trackir 5, VKB 

Hello, 

The gunpod indeed has quite a few limitations :

As it's powered by 8th stage compressor bleed air, it cannot function below a certain number of rpm (read, under a certain bleed air pressure. This vary with altitude, but is around 70%RPM).
Also, in hover, ingestion of fumes generated by a negligent discharge of any kind of weapon would drastically diminish the quality of the engine combustion and thus its performances. In these phases of flight, it can result in a crash that to lose your thrust, that's why weapon employment is limited to Nozzle angle > 30°.

Cheers,

Alpha

• AlphaJuliet changed the title to [NO BUG] Gunpod not working when thrusters angled down