Dysfunction of the Wing Flaps Handle of the TF-51D

Glow

I can confirm this.

• Like 1

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

To test, a simple mission with a departure aligned on the runway

The flaps are in up position, the handle is in the 50° position

at_start.png

After dropping the flaps in down position (5 press on the 'F' key).

after_down_flaps.png

After one press on SHIFT + 'F', the flaps go back from 10° (one step), but the handle goes back to 0°.

after_shift_F.png

The flaps do not follow the number of keypress and the handle is always desynchronized.

This bug doesn't exist with the P-51D.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

Are 'Bugs & Issues' sections really useful ? ...

Yes, you just don't have any insight or impact on the fixing schedule, so please, don't expect any ETA.

Any bug report and user contribution is welcome and is of great help to the devs and DCS community.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be possible to allow Keybinds for joysticks buttons? I know it can be set in Joy axis as Canopy crank, but it is weird  Open/Close canopy can be set in keyboard binds but not allowed in joy buttons

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

There are the commands in the joystick/default.lua 

{pressed = device_commands.Button_4, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CPT_MECH, value_pressed = -1.0, name = _('Canopy Closing'), category = _('Systems')},
{pressed = device_commands.Button_4, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CPT_MECH, value_pressed = 1.0, name = _('Canopy Opening'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = device_commands.Button_5, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CPT_MECH, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Canopy Emergency Release'), category = _('Systems')},

but a bug has been reported, the lines should be :

{pressed = device_commands.Button_2, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CPT_MECH, value_pressed = -1.0, name = _('Canopy Closing'), category = _('Systems')},
{pressed = device_commands.Button_2, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CPT_MECH, value_pressed = 1.0, name = _('Canopy Opening'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = device_commands.Button_5, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CPT_MECH, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Canopy Emergency Release'), category = _('Systems')},

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that the canopy can only be opened at a reduced flight speed,

in the manual it is not indicated that one can open it in flight...

So that's where ours keys or buttons problems come from.

This canopy lock does not exist on the Spitfire.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Not really a mechanical lock, but airflow increasing with speed making canopy operation harder and harder for the pilot. It's been like that since the beginning of this module.

In either case, key/button bindings seem to have been fixed finally in 2.7.8 for P-51D, but still don't work in TF-51D (even when the aircraft is stationary)....

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Indeed, the key/button bindings have been fixed.

Shouldn't the phenomenon be the same for the Spitfire?

I don't know about the others warbird, I don't have the modules.

Thanks for these precisions. 👍

N.B. I confirm that the TF-51D is not corrected, neither for the canopy nor the flap lever.

Edited by Tanuki44

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's almost a full year since this topic was started, and the problem is still present. And there are a few other issues I found with the TF.

The 'Close Canopy' default key binding (LCtrl+C) doesn't work as intended. It actually opens the canopy, even though the 'Open Canopy' keybind is LShift+C. So both key bindings are opening the canopy, leaving only the mouse wheel option for this function. Binding another key does not fix the issue either.

Another MINOR issue: Left Clicking on the Flight Stick Locking Pin (located in front of the base of the stick) should put the flight stick fully forward and lock it in place with the pin; Right Clicking the pin locks the stick in Neutral Position. The Right Clicking function works properly but Left Clicking is not. They have key bindings, though (LShift+X for Fowrard Lock and LAlt+X for Neutral Lock), and the keys are working properly.

Edited by WilliamLink
  • Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3.6GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB | HyperX Fury 16GB RAM @2666MHz | ASUS Prime B-350 Plus | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU | Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | 1.25TB HDD Total | NZXT Phantom Black Full-Tower ATX Case | Saitek-Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Flight Stick + Xbox 360 Controller + Keyboard + Mouse Combo for DCS | FreeTrack + PS3 Eye + 3-LED clip Combo for headtracking

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer binding on joystick even in clickable cockpits (at least at this moment) and noticed after the first cold-start tutorial all these things - flaps, strange Radiator oil/coolant behaviour (doesn't stay in open/close position) and canopy (both binds open). Flaps is cosmetics mostly as they step nicely, canopy is quite bad, really.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

• 2 months later...

Is this bug still not fixed? I'm trying the TF-51D and opening/closing the canopy with joystick buttons won't work.

• Like 1

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

The same problem (desynchronization of the flap handle) exists when using an axis for flaps...

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

On 4/16/2022 at 6:37 PM, WilliamLink said:

It's almost a full year since this topic was started, and the problem is still present. And there are a few other issues I found with the TF.

And the TF-51D is their demo for full DCS modules. At least the most obvious bugs should be fixed as soon as possible. A desync with an axis is not that important (even if it bothers me, but beginners rarely use axes for flaps), but non-functional keybindings and desync of instruments/levers/switches with keys pressed should not happen.

Edited by Nereid
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nereid said:

Is this bug still not fixed? I'm trying the TF-51D and opening/closing the canopy with joystick buttons won't work.

Specifically a joystick or any button controller? I have all my warbird canopies bound to a toggle on my HOTAS and it works fine.