New experimental radar performance model

LJQCN101

Hi, currently we're working on a new radar performance model, considering various factors affecting RCS and radar waves propagation.

We want to first implement three contributing factors: the variation of RCS with aspect angle (different model for different types of aircraft), the effect of atmosphere density and the effect of ground clutter.

Thanks.

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

9 hours ago, Mike_Romeo said:

Is that only for the JF-17 radar or will all radars profit from the new experimental radar modeling ?

Almost certainly a JF-17 exclusive thing.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

11 hours ago, LJQCN101 said:

Hi, currently we're working on a new radar performance model, considering various factors affecting RCS and radar waves propagation.

We want to first implement three contributing factors: the variation of RCS with aspect angle (different model for different types of aircraft), the effect of atmosphere density and the effect of ground clutter.

Thanks.

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

What about relative humidity?

19 hours ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

What about relative humidity?

also considered (however, current relative humidity system in dcs is quite simple, and seems only balt related. So alternatively, at this moment, we only consider the weather (rainy, storm, snow) as the condition (either contact or self is covered by rain droplet etc) instead of humidity directly).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

On 11/9/2021 at 2:27 AM, Mike_Romeo said:

Is that only for the JF-17 radar or will all radars profit from the new experimental radar modeling ?

Other Deka aircraft will certainly use this tech as well.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Although I'm totally in favour of such an initiative, even impressed, I do see a lot of problems of taking this approach unillaterally. 

I think this is something ED needs to provide via API; so all modules benefit from it. Having said that, thanks Deka for this work! really looking forward to seing this changes applied and see how they turn out for a more tactically realistic simulation.

• Like 6

Deka has been on the forefront of simulation fidelity and quality in DCS.
First to implement realistic IFF , targeting pod and now the radar, not to mention their first full fidelity was released almost 100% functional. Attention to detail like "Open the canopy first" 😀 or zeroize switch when repairing...and sense of humor makes them my favorite 3rd party.

It would be great if higher fidelity radar model was a part of ED API so that all aircraft can benefit from it. ED is lagging behind in many aspects related to weapons/sensors.
DCS is pretty good for procedural cockpit "switchology", weapons/sensors modelling is slooooowly improving but still lags behind the switchology (which seems to be the main focus.).

Maybe Deka should license some things to ED 😀

• Like 7

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MATRIC developer

Check out MATRIC and forget about keyboard shortcuts

4 hours ago, uboats said:

also considered (however, current relative humidity system in dcs is quite simple, and seems only balt related. So alternatively, at this moment, we only consider the weather (rainy, storm, snow) as the condition (either contact or self is covered by rain droplet etc) instead of humidity directly).

Could you give us a more detailed insight on how humidty and density and temp work in dcs?

1 час назад, falcon_120 сказал:

Although I'm totally in favour of such an initiative, even impressed, I do see a lot of problems of taking this approach unillaterally. 

I think this is something ED needs to provide via API; so all modules benefit from it. Having said that, thanks Deka for this work! really looking forward to seing this changes applied and see how they turn out for a more tactically realistic simulation.

Absolutely. I don't always support multiplayer balancing in a simulation game, but when I do I want to avoid the half-modeled F-16 fiasco, what with the AWACS radar and WTF else, but this may actually harm Jeff if other planes have no such restrictions.

1 час назад, AnarchyZG сказал:

Deka has been on the forefront of simulation fidelity and quality in DCS.
First to implement realistic IFF , targeting pod and now the radar, not to mention their first full fidelity was released almost 100% functional. Attention to detail like "Open the canopy first" 😀 or zeroize switch when repairing...and sense of humor makes them my favorite 3rd party.

It would be great if higher fidelity radar model was a part of ED API so that all aircraft can benefit from it. ED is lagging behind in many aspects related to weapons/sensors.
DCS is pretty good for procedural cockpit "switchology", weapons/sensors modelling is slooooowly improving but still lags behind the switchology (which seems to be the main focus.).

Maybe Deka should license some things to ED 😀

You forgot the transonic vapour cone, can't believe Jeff is still the only plane that has it!

16 hours ago, WarbossPetross said:

Absolutely. I don't always support multiplayer balancing in a simulation game, but when I do I want to avoid the half-modeled F-16 fiasco, what with the AWACS radar and WTF else, but this may actually harm Jeff if other planes have no such restrictions.

Yeah thats part of the problem in DCS, one dev does one thing another dev does another put it all together in MP and its a mess.

But I'm glad to see that both Deka and Razbam are stepping up with improved Air to Air radar simulations

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 1:24 AM, LJQCN101 said:

Thanks.

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Has this been implemented yet?

Edit:
I guess it is:

• A dynamic RCS calculation based on swerling IV model
    • Rainy day or atom density at low alt could reduce radar detection range

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm in favor...when the other DCS aircraft get updated to have similar performance.

Do we still have the problem where the F-16 and F-18 RADAR can't be jammed?

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 4:17 PM, paco2002 said:

That problem was fixed almost a year ago (?)

Good! Because that was a serious problem.

• Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."