enemy fighters AI difficulty

Isn't the enemy's performance a bit unrealistic? 

They always send me on fire at their first burst, taking aim in nanoseconds, often not even coming from the rear but with high angles shots. For me it takes away a lot of the immersion as I find myself having to stop the game during the dogfight to check If I'm gonna get blown in an instant. 

IRL I imagine first burst high angle kills were extremely rare, also, if the leader is focusing on one bandit the wingman should cover him (wich doesn't work in DCS as far as I've tested).

How do you guys put up with it?

• Like 1

I just got another complaint that AI difficulty levels are too easy in my campaigns. Go figure. I agree that the AI needs a lot more work. They have superhuman capabilities in some ways but are somewhat dumb in other ways. Anyhow it’s not something I can address, you’ll need to take it up with ED’s AI guy. It’s best if you can record the undesired behavior in a simple track and submit a bug report. 

as for the campaigns: always dedicate 99% of your attention on not getting killed. If in the process you manage to shoot down an enemy, good.  But like in real life your main focus should be survival. Especially in big furballs. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:04 AM, Reflected said:

as for the campaigns: always dedicate 99% of your attention on not getting killed. If in the process you manage to shoot down an enemy, good.  But like in real life your main focus should be survival. Especially in big furballs. 

Maybe its  just better to run away when the enemy shows up LOL.

On a more serious and unrelated note,  when is your great new Huey campaign going to be released?  Are you gonna do one for the Apache?  (Please say yes!)  Are you going to do one for the MIG 15b? Maybe the Soviet side of your F-86 campaign? (Please say yes!)  

Have your wingman covering you helps. Most often I would command the flight to engage bandits, but immediately follow that with “Two, cover me.”, using VAICOM. The 109 can be a handful if you are solo, get low and slow,  or don’t manage your E well at altitude. 190s not so much.   I don’t consider myself a good BFM pilot, but managed to get through the campaign recently without getting shot down by enemy air.

But AAA shot up my Pony on the first two low altitude ingress missions.  One was a cold bore shot to the nose leading the flight. I learned that on those missions it was suicide to lead from the front.

Managed to get rescued in the Channel both times though. Nice campaign feature 👍

Edited by Chipwich
  • Like 1

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

• 4 months later...

old post, same "problem" It is totally unrealistic that I have 3 wingmen with me and the enemy goes rear and shoot me. If I use trackir there is no problem as I can check my six easy, but with VR is a PITA (and I don't want to use the "safe your neck" mod). It is a question of luck to not be shoot down, by an anemy, as even trying to be out of the ball, usually an enemy AI will target you.

And it is very frustrating in the missions of all campaigns as it takes +30minutes to reach the dogfight area to be down in seconds or 4 minutes. If at least we could have the option to save the mission in certain stages.... but for now that option is only possible if the designer divides the mission in two. Of course I could use the invencible option, but that is not good for me neither.

In any case, when I pass the mission, it is awesome.

• Like 1