F-14 Player RIO Crash When Attaching To Carrier Catapult

Crozarius

With a player RIO, and player pilot, in the F-14B, whenever the pilot attaches to the catapult, my game crashes 100% of the time. I found another threat regarding this problem on the F-14 forum, and someone told me to post my bug report here, as well. This does not happen to my friend, when I am the pilot and he is the RIO. Furthermore, if he connects to the catapult and THEN I issue a join request, I can join into the RIO seat and everything works fine, and we can play the game normally. The same is true when we respawn after a death directly onto the catapult.

I don't know how the DCS log files work, but the most relevant message appears to be this:

2021-11-07 11:09:48.374 INFO    EDCORE: F:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\bin\Transport.dll
2021-11-07 11:09:48.386 INFO    EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at C701B000 00:00000000

Troubleshooting So Far:

I've reinstalled the game.

I've uninstalled the game, migrated my license to the standalone (Non-Steam) client, and reinstalled the game.

I've tried using the file validation.

I've uninstalled my graphics drivers, reinstalled them, and also tried rolling back to different versions.

I've bought an entire new graphics card (1080 to 3080)

I've uninstalled, and reinstalled DirectX

We've tested all different catapults on the Stennis, and it occurs on all of them.

I've tried with, and without SRS turned on and connected.

I've tried on both day and night.

dcs.log-20211107-112415.zip dcs.log-20211107-110948.zip

• ED Team

Thank you for the logs, 

at present we are unable to reproduce but I have asked our closed beta testers to also look out for it. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 11/10/2021 at 7:15 AM, Special K said:

Does this happen on a specific server (if yes, which one) or is any of you guys hosting the mission and if yes, which of you? 

Does it happen on different maps or just one?

Have you tried the SC, too, or is it just the Stennis?

It occurs on the Hoggit Georgia At War server -- it's the only server I actually play on. -- When I have my pilot around I'll see if the Persian Gulf map does it as well. I haven't tried other maps yet.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the supercarrier, because I don't have the DLC. 

• 3 weeks later...

FYI someone on the Hoggit discord noted that my DCS error log was reading my pagefile size as being only 2GB, and that it was very low. My pagefile was automatically set to 15GB total, but I figured that there was some weirdness due to me having three drives. I manually set my page file size to 16GB for each of my three drives, for a total of 48GB. 

Somehow, and I don't know why, this has totally resolved this crash. I suppose you could try to recreate the issue with a small page file size now, though.

So if anyone else is having this problem, try increasing your page file size manually!!!

• ED Team

32 GB of RAM and a video card with 10 GB of memory is quite enough to use a single player (without VR) with any graphics settings. Programmers insist on including the swap file (at least) in such conditions.
For cases when the game crashes due to lack of memory (including the swap file), a corresponding entry of this error is made in the log. In your case, there was no such error, so there was no reason to suggest increasing the size of the swap file. I can recommend placing the swap file on a fast SSD F:  fixed size (16 GB - OK). On the other disks, the swap file will be redundant.
In any case, it's great that you solved the problem of the game falling. And it is quite possible that this solution will also help someone.