Having 2 Seperate Installs

Hi, I`ve got the DCS Updater Utility by Skatezilla but to be honest havent really used it.

I`m currently using OB 2.7(the current OB build) but have been toying with having an older stable install as well for comparison. Im wondering if its possible to install 2.5.6 for example using the updater?  Is it an easy thing to do without affecting my main OB install? And how do I know what the 2.5.6.xxxxxx is for the last stable build?

Is it possible to copy across the files I already have on OB 2.7(modules and terrains etc) to the new install rather than downloading large amounts of GB again?

Edited by EcosseFlyer

Wookie

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 3600XT@4.4GHz+ || MSI B450 Tomahawk Max || MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z || 32GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 RAM@3200 || 32" Monitor || Win 10 Home || TM Warthog HOTAS || Logitech ProFlight Pedals || TrackHat Clip || Rift S

Modules: A-10C & A-10C II || KA-50 2 & 3 || FC3 || CA || UH-1H || AV-8B || L-39 || F-86F || F-5 II || Mi-8 || M-2000C || F/A-18 || SA-342 || Super Carrier || F-14A/B || AH-64D

Maps: Caucasus || NTTR || Persian Gulf || Marianas || Syria

13 minutes ago, EcosseFlyer said:

Im wondering if its possible to install 2.5.6 for example using the updater?  Is it an easy thing to do without affecting my main OB install?

Is it possible to copy across the files I already have on OB 2.7(modules and terrains etc) to the new install rather than downloading large amounts of GB again?

Hi. I have never used the Skatezilla updater for this type of task, as I prefer to do the things fully understanding what I'm doing .. for me it is harder to figure out what an utility is doing behind the scenes, particularly if something does not work at the end.

On your case, what I would do is create a copy of your current DCS 2.7 on a different path, say I have DCS 2.7 at C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/ .. then I copy it to D:\DCS World 2.5\

Important: I'm assuming that you use ED's version of DCS .. this does not apply to the STEAM version.

Once copied, I'd create a text file  on this folder (DCS World 2.5) .. it must be called "dcs.variant.txt" and it should contain the path to a /Saved Games/ folder for this new DCS install .. on this case it should contain a single line, like this:

When you run this DCS World it will create a /DCS.2.5/ folder within /Saved Games/ .. this way it won't interfere with your current /Saved Games/DCS/ of your dcs 2.7

Finally, I would open a Command Prompt window and run the DCS_Updater.exe command, with the parameters to change its DCS version ... be sure to use the DCS_Updater.exe of the DCS 2.5 path

DCS_Updater.exe update 2.5.6@release

More info here:  https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/94816-guide-info-dcs-updater-usage-version-numbers-module-ids/

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi, I`ve got the DCS Updater Utility by Skatezilla but to be honest havent really used it.
I`m currently using OB 2.7(the current OB build) but have been toying with having an older stable install as well for comparison. Im wondering if its possible to install 2.5.6 for example using the updater?  Is it an easy thing to do without affecting my main OB install? And how do I know what the 2.5.6.xxxxxx is for the last stable build?

1. Yes. As long as you configure it correctly with seperate paths for Stable and OB.
2. Go to Eagle Dynamics website and find the version number you want, and just copy paste into the app. The app have instructions ibthibkm.
3. The app just simplifies using the DCS updater, but if both paths for Stable and OB are correct in the registry, it will copy the local files needed, without re-downloading.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, however, when using updater.exe in CMD prompt to revert back to 2.5.6 its saying I need 87 GB worth of updates (I've already copied 2.7 OB with everything in it, 257GB, renaming it 2.5 Stable - all terrains and modules are installed in game under Module Manager) - not sure why I need to redownload 87 GB or what that would even be?

Any ideas?

Wookie

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 3600XT@4.4GHz+ || MSI B450 Tomahawk Max || MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z || 32GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 RAM@3200 || 32" Monitor || Win 10 Home || TM Warthog HOTAS || Logitech ProFlight Pedals || TrackHat Clip || Rift S

Modules: A-10C & A-10C II || KA-50 2 & 3 || FC3 || CA || UH-1H || AV-8B || L-39 || F-86F || F-5 II || Mi-8 || M-2000C || F/A-18 || SA-342 || Super Carrier || F-14A/B || AH-64D

19 minutes ago, EcosseFlyer said:

not sure why I need to redownload 87 GB or what that would even be?

Those are all the DCS files that are different between versions 2.5.6 and 2.7 ... so about 1/3 of the files have been changed between those two versions.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Makes sense I suppose, just assumed it would be the other way, 2.5 would require less file size than 2.7.

As it stands 2.5.6 needs 337GB (removing Marianas of course)

May give this a miss then, as it would involve major hard drive deleting and ages downloading all the updated files which I was trying to avoid.

Wookie

17 minutes ago, EcosseFlyer said:

just assumed it would be the other way, 2.5 would require less file size than 2.7.

It does ... those 87 GB that you download will REPLACE some of 2.7 files, it will not increase the final size significantly.

Makes sense I suppose, just assumed it would be the other way, 2.5 would require less file size than 2.7.
As it stands 2.5.6 needs 337GB (removing Marianas of course)
May give this a miss then, as it would involve major hard drive deleting and ages downloading all the updated files which I was trying to avoid.
It will probably show the number it needs to download, but then it will get the files it needs from the other installation.
But I guess Rudel's correct that there are some major differences, because I usually need to download like 60GB in every update.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk