AV-8B N/A MANUAL CH 1-15

AlphaJuliet

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

As you may already know, @baltic_dragonhas been working hard to deliver an updated version of the Harrier manual, and we are pleased to show you a preview of the first 15 chapters, that you can consult here :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EgocwCHBSZN6nhcXL-r4SQH14Z8BQtDu&authuser=wojciech.danecki%40gmail.com&usp=drive_fs

Bear in mind, this is still a WIP version.

We are open to any suggestion of improvement or modification, and you can post them as comments to this post or directly in the dedicated channel on our Discord.

Cheers,

Alpha

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I really liked this manual. There is information that I did not know, although I have been flying the Harrier since its release. For example, I didn't know what the H and V in the left corner of the display were for. GPS error: indicates the GPS error in vertical (V) and horizontal (H)

Edited by ASW
  • Like 1

GreyCat_SPb

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @baltic_dragonfor excellent source of information. Chapters are very readable and enjoyable.

So far, I read through the first 282 pages of PDF and I'd like to report you the following errata corrige:

- page 269: figure shows BINGO DISPLAY, but none of the following paragraphs tells anything about the "DCRG" line you can see in the figure;

- page 274, first paragraph: «(...) On pictures below, the right one shows airspeed before set NRAS is reached; the left one shows airspeed after NRAS is reached». Judging from the figures below the text, it should be quite the opposite and text should therefore recite: «(...) On pictures below, the left one shows airspeed before set NRAS is reached; the right one shows airspeed after NRAS is reached» (corrections bolded);

- page 282, number 16: it says to ask Signal Plane Captain to disconnect the external power. Though, none of the previous instructions ever said you had to ask ground grew to connect external power.

Edited by Saruman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finished reading the entire PDF. Information is very accurate and understandable, so congrats again, first of all.

That said, I hope it can be useful for you to know about 2 further typos I might have found (indeed, I'm not entirely certain about the second one because I could have misunderstood offset waypoints):

- page 399, towards the end: «No waypoints are not shown on the screen in this mode», I guess it should be «No waypoints are shown on the screen in this mode»;

- page 427, last sentence in last paragraph: «Bearing, distance and estimated time-to-go is also displayed instead of waypoint information in the top-right corner of the screen». It seems to me that the text is suggesting that top-right corner of EHSD screen should show bearing, range and ETA of the offset, but, in the image above the paragraph, the top-right corner of EHSD screen shows bearing, distance and ETA of the proper waypoint (the offset has bearing 039, as confirmed by HUD image at page 428).

Edited by Saruman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

@AlphaJuliet What is the current status here? Can we expect another update of the manual soon? Or will it take a little longer? Could you please make a brief statement on this?

• Thanks 2

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 11:01 PM, horstweihrauch said:

Releasing F/A-18 Hornet-smornet campaigns seems more important than the Harrier manual😞

I didn’t realize RAZBAM produced Hornet campaigns.  Which one is it?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 8:56 PM, kotor633 said:

Hello,

@AlphaJuliet What is the current status here? Can we expect another update of the manual soon? Or will it take a little longer? Could you please make a brief statement on this?

I'm doing my best to get the full Sensors and TPOD chapters ready for June 22 update. TPOD is by far the most advanced part of the aircraft now and went through a lot of changes, hence the delays...

On 4/23/2022 at 8:01 AM, horstweihrauch said:

Releasing F/A-18 Hornet-smornet campaigns seems more important than the Harrier manual😞

Well, I am only one person with really demanding full-time day job & three kids 🙂 doing what I can, but please bear in mind that Harrier is still being worked on and one thing I don't want to do is to be forced to revisit what I have written and do it all over again...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

vor 37 Minuten schrieb baltic_dragon:

I'm doing my best to get the full Sensors and TPOD chapters ready for June 22 update. TPOD is by far the most advanced part of the aircraft now and went through a lot of changes, hence the delays...

Well, I am only one person with really demanding full-time day job & three kids 🙂 doing what I can, but please bear in mind that Harrier is still being worked on and one thing I don't want to do is to be forced to revisit what I have written and do it all over again...

Thank you for the feedback.
I only have one child, but even that can be exhausting, i understand you 😉 But of course it's understandable that you don't want to revise everything again. And I really hope that Razbam finally comes to a reasonable conclusion with the Harrier.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Lately having a closer look at the Harrier and the manual again I noticed the following.

page 281

Step 5 to test the throttle quadrant and JPTL audio warning.

This will not work as described. For the audio warning to work you need the "DECS enable switch" in the ON position which is described in step 7 later on. So I guess this needs to be changed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Razbam,

thank you for you time and effort in putting the AV-8B-NA manual together.

Please, put the publication date and the version number into the document. This is the international norm for serious companies. It is especially necessary for documents, which will be updated and changed over time, like the Harrier manual.

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

BTW, I'm reading through the manual, and especially starting with 14.4.2.1 DATA PAGE (WAYPOINT)--but not only--the term "colonized" is is used very often, instead of "populated" 🙂

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

19 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

BTW, I'm reading through the manual, and especially starting with 14.4.2.1 DATA PAGE (WAYPOINT)--but not only--the term "colonized" is is used very often, instead of "populated" 🙂

But isn't this correct in this context that the colon ":" on the corresponding ODU button option is visible?

• Like 1

OMG THAT'S what he means?! 🤣

I'm just relearning the Harrier, so I'm pretty weak on some of the functions. I was sure he meant that, for example, the IGRS and EGRS lists of waypoints had entries, ie populated, and that colonized was a mistranslation of populated 😂

Still "colonized" has nothing to do with colons; that's not English.

There is unfortunately no one-word-term to express something with a colon in front of it. One might use colon-marked, or colon-designated, but in general one can also say "selected", because every option in the UFC or ODU, which is selected, always has this denoted by a colon preceding the option.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Documentations need to be clear and concise, and use a language properly to be understood. My misunderstanding is evidence of this.

If you have to know how a systems works to understand the description, the description is 1) pointless, because you already understand the system, and 2) pointless, because without knowing what the document is trying to say, it cannot explain itself, because you have to know the system to understand the description.

• Like 3

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Or, you also include a definition list which is found in all technical manuals.

The term "Colonize" is used extensively when discussing the UFC in both the Harrier and the Hornet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Indeed it is. First time I can say seeing that.

I guess my opinion was more in the anatomical category of understanding colon 😕

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler