Apache profile using Helios for a second monitor

sobe

Sobe and Bunny,

Been following your discussions, deliberations and efforts closely! Well done sirs.....  Especially with the headache cause bij the CPG and Pilots MFD exports issues.

I am going to try both your profiles out and also hope that there will be a hotfix at some points for the exprts. I do hope they find this important, but wondering if this is more complex then any other aircraft they have done before....

Personally I would change the layout of the Helios  profiles, especially for the Pilot's seat I would make the MFD's as big as possible, have the UFD top right, keeping the layout like the real cockpit  and have a floating keyboard that can appear with a button as well as comms and lighting.. stuff you dont use all the time.... But hey, i am not nearly as clued up as you folk so i might have to borrow from you 😉 or take it real slow 

image.png

cheers and hope more people will help!!

Edited by SparrowHawk003

In case you have some free time, attached is my monitor config file (1920x1080 x2) and my Helios profile based on Bunny's json file.  I still need to add some json coding to the keyboard, but I think everything else has been done. 

Apache Duel V1.hpf ARES DUAL V1.lua

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

2 hours ago, SparrowHawk003 said:

Personally I would change the layout of the Helios  profiles, especially for the Pilot's seat I would make the MFD's as big as possible

That should be a fairly easy change to my profile. I built everything in panels, so you can grab entire MFDs, the KU, EUFD, and so forth and drag them around and resize them however you like. You'll just need to tweak display exports to match.

Any quick tutorial how to use your profile?

22 hours ago, sobe said:

In case you have some free time, attached is my monitor config file (1920x1080 x2) and my Helios profile based on Bunny's json file.  I still need to add some json coding to the keyboard, but I think everything else has been done. 

Apache Duel V1.hpf 313.47 kB · 7 downloads ARES DUAL V1.lua 1.09 kB · 9 downloads

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

hreich

Thank you for asking.  I don't have to tell you how much time this stuff takes.  I am also including the init lua files that you will need.  Just put the monitor config file in its normal location and adjust for your monitor sizes.  Put the hpf file in the Helios profile subfolder, and finally put the init lua files in a mod manager. 

0 Ares combined AH64.zip

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Bunny Clark

In reviewing your profile, I notice that sometimes you check the Bypass Cascading Trigger box and sometimes you don't.  I am trying to understand when to check and not check the box, but it is very confusing.   Any thoughts?

Alright peeps, I'm jumping on the pain train, if someone has a moment to break some stuff down barney style for me I'd appreciate it.  What do I need to take an old IPAD and use x software to link it to the pc for the remote button pushing.  I apologize if this A. Hijacks the forum or B. is the wrong place but you guys seem to be in the know on it. Appreciate the help

Edited by kgillers3

Bunny Clark

For some reason, I cannot get the Master Warning and Master Caution buttons to light up in your profile.  The appearance reference is to "{Helios}/Images/Indicators/indicator.png" and I do not seem to have a folder for indicators.  Could that be the issue?

22 hours ago, hreich said:

Any quick tutorial how to use your profile?

Capt Zeen has great tutorials for Helios. There's some stuff in this video that's not applicable to my simpler profile, but the basics are all the same: 

13 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

Alright peeps, I'm jumping on the pain train, if someone has a moment to break some stuff down barney style for me I'd appreciate it.  What do I need to take an old IPAD and use x software to link it to the pc for the remote button pushing.  I apologize if this A. Hijacks the forum or B. is the wrong place but you guys seem to be in the know on it. Appreciate the help

This thread is all about Helios, which is Windows software primarily designed for integrating PC touchscreen monitors. It has other uses, but none of them cross outside the Windows ecosystem as far as I'm aware. For phone and tablet devices there are some very good options, I've used DCS UFC for Android and found it to be very good. For iOS, I have heard great things about iUFC Export but have no personal experience with it as I do not own any iOS devices. Neither of these options are user configurable though, so you'll need to wait until the developers add support for the Apache.

5 hours ago, sobe said:

Bunny Clark

For some reason, I cannot get the Master Warning and Master Caution buttons to light up in your profile.  The appearance reference is to "{Helios}/Images/Indicators/indicator.png" and I do not seem to have a folder for indicators.  Could that be the issue?

Weird. That uses all stock Helios functions, so I'm not sure what may be going wrong.  

• Like 1

Sobe, thanks...I managed to run profile Apache duel V1 but i have 3 issues

1.I got screen exported to my tablet, but on my main screen there are 2 mfds shown, can i hide them somehow?

2.Pressing buttons on tablet  does not send keypresses to DCS-Also MFD buttons dont work neither in the dcs neither on my tablet (i push them nothing happens)

3.I got errors both in helios profile editor, and helios configuration launcher...

Is there a way to fix those  things...

Thanks in advance for all your help

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by hreich
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

The reason you are getting no input or outputs to/from DCS is because Helios can't find the interface that the profile wants to use to talk to DCS.  The profile ahs the layout and configuration of controls. However, in a sperate file (called the interface) is the definitions of what "push button x" actually means to DCS and how to translate between Helios and DCS.  When you create a new profile you have to choose what interface to use.  The error in your Control Centre shows that the profile can't find the interface files it's looking for.  

Assuming Sobe's profile uses Bunny's interface file you need to install dcs.AH-64D.hif.json from Bunny Clark's post on page 2 of this thread as described in that post.  

Fantastic finding this thread, just got the AH64 and was hoping someone had created a profile I could "steal" the MFDs and some critical gauges from for my 8" Lilliputs with TM Bezels! Have not used Helios in quite a while in DCS (did set up my F-16 MFDs a while back) but am very familiar with using it in the "other" F16 sim, will re-read through here and hopefully figure it out!

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

4 hours ago, Scaley said:

The reason you are getting no input or outputs to/from DCS is because Helios can't find the interface that the profile wants to use to talk to DCS.  The profile ahs the layout and configuration of controls. However, in a sperate file (called the interface) is the definitions of what "push button x" actually means to DCS and how to translate between Helios and DCS.  When you create a new profile you have to choose what interface to use.  The error in your Control Centre shows that the profile can't find the interface files it's looking for.  

Assuming Sobe's profile uses Bunny's interface file you need to install dcs.AH-64D.hif.json from Bunny Clark's post on page 2 of this thread as described in that post.  

I have the same issue, Bunnys Interface (DCS.AH-64D.hif.json) is installed in x:\Program Files\Helios Virtual Cockpit\Helios\Interfaces (with all the other DCS Interfaces). x:\Documents\Helios (as shown in the error messages ) does not contain an "Interfaces" folder. Creating one, dropping in "DCS.AH-64D.hif.json" does nothing. Looking at the error it seems to be looking for DCS.NAH-64D.hif.json, and renaming the Interface gives the same error. Also, I get 3 errors in Process Control as it is looking for Short/Alarm1/Alarm2.wav files in C:\SoundTest\SoundTest.exe, which does not exist. These I can ignore but I doubt I can ignore the Interface error. Any ideas?

This is where I am -

Helios AH64D-1.jpg

Helios AH64D-1 Error.jpg

Edited by =LD=Icer

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

HReich

At the present time, I cannot figure out how to hide one set of MFDs for the other so I have the CPG MFDs in the top screen and the Pilot MFDs in the bottom screen and using Bunny Clark's latest versions of the interface, I double coded each MFD button so that they work in either the Pilot or the CPG cockpit. 

I just got up and will review your other questions later.  Best bet is to go over to CZ's discord channel for more help.

Edited by sobe

I just use Bunny Clark's latest interface and then code the pilot button and the CPG button on the same button.

Double assigning buttons is pretty simple. If you start from my profile, open up an MFD and just add the button commands for both seats. Each button should look like this when you're done:

Screenshot 2022-03-27 202217.jpg

Each button has the press and release command for both the Pilot and CPG button.

I've chosen not to do it this way because I knew I wanted a separate layout for the front and back seat, hiding the TEDAC when in the pilot seat in favor of a larger EUFD. Since I was already hiding and swapping panels, adding separate MFDs for the pilot and gunner was simple. 

I also have some concerns about what sending button presses to both seats at the same time may do, especially in multiplayer.

8 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

Double assigning buttons is pretty simple. If you start from my profile, open up an MFD and just add the button commands for both seats. Each button should look like this when you're done:

Each button has the press and release command for both the Pilot and CPG button.

I've chosen not to do it this way because I knew I wanted a separate layout for the front and back seat, hiding the TEDAC when in the pilot seat in favor of a larger EUFD. Since I was already hiding and swapping panels, adding separate MFDs for the pilot and gunner was simple. 

I also have some concerns about what sending button presses to both seats at the same time may do, especially in multiplayer.

@Bunny Clark, any idea why I am getting the error above with your interface?

It might be worth trying a new profile from scratch and seeing if the interface is available to choose from when creating a profile. I assume you've tried the obvious fixes (re-dpwnlaoding the file fresh, update Helios to latest, check antivirus permissions)

21 minutes ago, Scaley said:

It might be worth trying a new profile from scratch and seeing if the interface is available to choose from when creating a profile. I assume you've tried the obvious fixes (re-dpwnlaoding the file fresh, update Helios to latest, check antivirus permissions)

Thank you @Scaley, I created a new profile, added @Bunny Clark's Interface, and then copied the Right and Left MDU's from the original profile I made (a cut down version of "Apache Dual V1") to my MFD monitors to start. Saved it and it "looks" like it will work, no errors in Helios Control Center, going to pop into DCS and see what happens. Thank you!

Edited by =LD=Icer

On 3/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, Bunny Clark said:

Assuming you have a typical install, it needs to go to C:\Program Files\Helios Virtual Cockpit\Helios\Interfaces. It'll then appear as "DCS AH-64D" when you go to Profile > Add Interface.

I managed to start your profile, but i am missing monitor file for DCS ah64, can you please share? If i use sobe AresDual V1, i got screens exported to my second monitor, but i cant push the buttons IE(nothing happens) and also mfd left and right export are also shown on my main screen  image.png

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

2 hours ago, =LD=Icer said:

Thank you @Scaley, I created a new profile, added @Bunny Clark's Interface, and then copied the Right and Left MDU's from the original profile I made (a cut down version of "Apache Dual V1") to my MFD monitors to start. Saved it and it "looks" like it will work, no errors in Helios Control Center, going to pop into DCS and see what happens. Thank you!

Can you share your Profile + cutdown version of apache dualv1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

1 hour ago, hreich said:

Can you share your Profile + cutdown version of apache dualv1

@hreich, be happy to if/when it ever works but all I did was start a new profile, add the "DCS AH-64D" Interface, open a second window with the "Apache Duel V1" profile  and copy/paste the Right/Left MCFD's over and save... and so far and I get nothing on my screen. I'm trying to wrap my head around how this works in DCS as my F-16 profile has "F-16 Simulator Viewports" listed in the Helios Toolbox Column, as are all the Images I need for the "other F-16 sim under the appropriate folders. Keep in mind all I want is two 580x580 MFD screens onto my 8" lilliputs w/TM MFD bezels, possibly at some point have them swap to gunner position MFDs when I go there..

Edit: Ok, I have it working correctly now. The gunners left/right MFD's are being drawn correctly on my screens. What I failed to do initially was start out by installing the DCS Monitor Interface first, then install the AH-64 Interface.. Now to figure out a way to swap to Pilots MFDs on the fly...  Attaching my profile just so you can see how simple it can be. Now to start setting up keybindings to the TM Bezels..

AH64D - GR.hpf

Edited by =LD=Icer
Reveleation