RWR Alerts

funkster

Bit of a Noob question even though I have been playing DCS for years....I have never fully understood when the Enemy is getting RWR alerts. i.e. 

When do they get a "symbol" showing me.

When do they know I am "scanning them" - RWS, LTWS, TWS etc

When do they get a Lock alert ...Only in STT?

Does this vary from between RWR systems?

You appear as a symbol if you scan them.

They know you are scanning him when your radar beam is going over their aircraft, regardless of mode.

Lock and launch alert instantly when STT. No lock in TWS, but launch warning after some time (when missile activates it's own radar).

The first two bits should be for every RWR type. The later one, maybe more modern one can distinguish.

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

You appear as a symbol if you scan them.

They know you are scanning him when your radar beam is going over their aircraft, regardless of mode.

Lock and launch alert instantly when STT. No lock in TWS, but launch warning after some time (when missile activates it's own radar).

The first two bits should be for every RWR type. The later one, maybe more modern one can distinguish.

Off topic, but heres a question to ask yourself. What changes in the radar in STT when an AMRAAM launches? Should there even be a launch warning for ARH missiles.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

1 час назад, Swiftwin9s сказал:

Off topic, but heres a question to ask yourself. What changes in the radar in STT when an AMRAAM launches? Should there even be a launch warning for ARH missiles.

When the SARH missile launches the radar switches to constant wave emission to light up the target so that the missile antenna catches its reflection. Every RWR in the business unequivocally interprets that as a launch. Not sure if it's the case for the Amraam though since it's hardly needed in that case, but there is a chance radar designers simply didn't bother changing what already works and introduce the logic of checking whether it's Amraam or Sparrow on top of all the calculations already involved.

18 hours ago, WarbossPetross said:

When the SARH missile launches the radar switches to constant wave emission

No, it adds a tracking pulse, or rather a pulse designed to help the missile track in between the other STT pulse trains.   The missile datalink could take the same position instead of the tracking pulse and that is what happens with AMRAAM shooters, it's also what happens with the Su-27/MiG-29 (DL is emitted for a given time, then switches to tracking pulse).

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda