Why so slow?

hein22

One of the most annoying things about the Hornet IMHO is its datalink update rate.

A10C datalink (SADL) has less than 1 second update rate for PPLIs and any other symbology. It's virtually real time updated.

Why is that the Hornet has a datalink with 12 seconds update rate? Why is the Hornet 1200% worse than other aircrafts in this regard? Is ED prohibited from simulating the real behavior (I don't know what the real behavior is, I'm just asking)?

Why every time I look at a symbol in the HMD or SA page the actual object isn't there anymore, confusing the pilot and giving him wrong and dangerous information?

If the object has constant movement then the extrapolation (both relative and absolute) works good and the symbol will follow, but if the object moves then the symbol gets 12 seconds of wrong position.

Yeah I know they are two different systems and bla bla, but the NATO network is the same.

I'm dying to know if this is a legal limitation of the simulation ED was allowed to make, a bug that someday will be fixed, or if it is just what the Navy has to deal with IRL (poor pilots).

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Stay safe

Who said that A-10's SADL is made realistic? I'd say A-10 is more on a "gamey" side. It's an old module, don't get updates or care as much as newer ones.

Regardin data link update I didn't find discussion stating what is update time, in few places I read that pilot's refused to give that information, but I doubt if it is as quick as 1 sec.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foka said:

Who said that A-10's SADL is made realistic? I'd say A-10 is more on a "gamey" side. It's an old module, don't get updates or care as much as newer ones.

Regardin data link update I didn't find discussion stating what is update time, in few places I read that pilot's refused to give that information, but I doubt if it is as quick as 1 sec.

I never said such thing, that's why I opened this thread so I can understand more.

What I'd like to know as I said is if this is a legal limitation of the simulation ED was allowed to make, a bug that someday will be fixed, or if it is just what it is IRL.

Stay safe

I appreciate your question and hear you. The limitation is intentional, but I don’t know if it’s because of oversight, design or implemented as it’s supposed to be.

I do know that we all make way, way too much hay about “secrecy” and the belief that a DCS module is on the edge of legality somehow. Everything used in DCS modules is open sourced and easily so. There’s absolutely nothing secret about any of the aircraft *simulated*. Knowing that the aircraft can do something isn’t secret. How an aircraft system specifically does something (like jamming) probably is. But, for the purposes of a game modeling, an outcome isn’t secret. For example, we don’t need to know how a Growler jamming pod actually works to model jamming in-game. 

We play a game that simulates the experience of flying a F-18, not a 1:1 direct translation. So, no, there’s no legality question. It’s a design “feature”. Why so slow? Who knows (but it’s not because of secret-squirrel stuff)?

Edited by Palmetto 1-1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Foka said:

It's an old module, don't get updates or care as much as newer ones.

What a sad thing to say ..  the A-10C got a complete overhaul barely a year ago, and the upgrade cost was just US$ 10 ...  what more could one ask from ED?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

4 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

And the A-10C has bassed on a desktop trainer to the ANG. Meanwhile, the F/A-18C has used as destock trainer on Canada.

That is indeed cool!

5 hours ago, Palmetto 1-1 said:

I appreciate your question and hear you. The limitation is intentional, but I don’t know if it’s because of oversight, design or implemented as it’s supposed to be.

I do know that we all make way, way too much hay about “secrecy” and the belief that a DCS module is on the edge of legality somehow. Everything used in DCS modules is open sourced and easily so. There’s absolutely nothing secret about any of the aircraft *simulated*. Knowing that the aircraft can do something isn’t secret. How an aircraft system specifically does something (like jamming) probably is. But, for the purposes of a game modeling, an outcome isn’t secret. For example, we don’t need to know how a Growler jamming pod actually works to model jamming in-game. 

We play a game that simulates the experience of flying a F-18, not a 1:1 direct translation. So, no, there’s no legality question. It’s a design “feature”. Why so slow? Who knows (but it’s not because of secret-squirrel stuff)?

Agree 100%. The outcome is the outcome, and it really doesn't matter what is behind it. We don't need to know what chemical is inside a flare, all we need is to drop it and have a chance to attract a heat seeking missile (of course there can be cool logics in the code).

That's why I am so curious to know what the MIDS update rate is in reality. Also why the A10c has real time datalink as well as the JF17. Is any of those incorrect and the F18 correct? If so, why? Can I or we expect it to change someday?

Thanks guys.

• Like 2

Stay safe

19 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

What a sad thing to say ..  the A-10C got a complete overhaul barely a year ago, and the upgrade cost was just US$ 10 ...  what more could one ask from ED?

Maybe fixing bugs that last for years? Just a thought....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Foka said:

Maybe fixing bugs that last for years? Just a thought....

My tought is that one has got to love those folks that never lose an argument 🙄

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

What argument. I'm not arguing. Are you?
I simply stated A-10C doesn't get updates. You mentioned a payed DLC, which is not an update or fix.

A-10C still doesn't have SADL updated and can't see other not-AI flights, doesn't have updated TGP so it can see similar symbology as on HMD, doesn't have Divert CDU page fiexd, doesn't have switches consistency fixed. We had new radio promised thist year, and no news about that for months, so I guess won't get it. These are facts, but you made it to an argument?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Nothing more to add, Link 16 in DCS is heavily simplified, theres no argument there.

I wasn't talking about complexity or anything like it. If you understood I was referring to that, then there is nothing more to add for sure. But from the OP point of view maybe there's someone willing to jump in and leave a comment about the questions proposed.

• Like 1

Stay safe

53 minutes ago, hein22 said:

I wasn't talking about complexity or anything like it. If you understood I was referring to that, then there is nothing more to add for sure. But from the OP point of view maybe there's someone willing to jump in and leave a comment about the questions proposed.

I thought it answered the OP pretty well. Why is Link 16 updating so slowly? Because the "Link 16" we have is vastly simplified. Obviously IRL it depends

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

5 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

I thought it answered the OP pretty well. Why is Link 16 updating so slowly? Because the "Link 16" we have is vastly simplified. Obviously IRL it depends

I wasn't just asking why, I was comparing modules with different results and trying to understand why those.

But hey, no hard feelings, I can see why you approach it like that. Thanks anyway for coming by.

Stay safe

27 minutes ago, Preendog said:

Don't know if it is related, but SA mode doesn't seem to kill my frames anymore. 

They could have reduced the rate at which links are tested or information is shared to improve game performance.  Total guess. 

No, it was 12 seconds delay since day 1.

Stay safe