Can't get takeoff permission at Batumi

Bingo41

When I land at Batumi in my F-18, then rearm and refuel, I am prevented from calling the Batumi Tower to get clearance to take off?

Keep in mind, I was granted permission to land with no problems. This is a friendly base.

The Air Traffic menu, looks like this "Batumi>>>>"

Any ideas?

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

Win10, V-2004//I5-8600K 5.2GHz//Nvidia GTX 1080Ti//VRAM 11GB

RAM 32GB//2TB M2.NVMe//Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7//Corsair H115i

Ain`t it typical in DCS that you can`t call the tower after landing ?

I remember, never got an answer.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

Answer to questions, no I do not have easy comms ON,nor am I holding short of RWY position.

What I will try next...............

Also, I am not in a designated parking area, will see if I can line up with parking space.

I will shut down the engine and see if this symbiology changes from this, "Batumi>>>" to this, "Batumi...," that will permit me to make a request.

I see no reason for blocking the ability to communicate with the tower?

Bill Clark 

Bill Clark

The "Batumi>>" means there's already a task in process. You're inside the logic tree somewhere. DCS ATC is very linear. You move from state to state in a particular order. There is not much 'do anything at any time' philosophy. To get back to the state before cleared engine start you have to shut down engine. The idea that you will taxi back to parking and then request taxi to runway again without shutting down is not in its design.

You can request clearance for takeoff immediately after landing though. Just drive to the runway edge (not the hold short art) and request T/O clearance again.

Batumi Land-TO Cycle.trk

I discovered for my self, the aircraft needs to be shut down before being able to contact Batumi, as Frederf stated in his post  Unfortunately, this means DCS does not support a HOT refuel or rearm scenario on a land base. You can land, but not get takeoff or taxi clearance requests. Hopefully, this will be fixed once DCS gets around to updating basic ATC. Super Carrier ATC seems to work well, at least for me.

HOT refueling and rearming works well on the Super Carrier with no issues.

To get around this land base issue, shut down the A/C. If you want to follow ATC protocol, it is necessary to ask the Tower permission to start the engines. I found a procedure after a Google search, which requires the Ground crew to apply Ground Power, and then perform minimal steps to get the radios powered up, before contacting Batumi and asking for permission to start up engines:

1)Turn Battery on

2) Contact Ground Crew on the intercom (Intercom seems to work with BAT switch ON) - ask Chief to Turn ON Ground Power

3) On Left Panel - EXT PWR switch - RESET - NORMAL (right click let return to NORMAL)

4) GND PWR switches 1, 2, and 4 - B ON (Left click each switch and hold for 3 seconds).

5) Radios have power - Turn ON COMM 1, 2, and ADF - Select CHAN and Set Volume As DESIRED 

6) Program in Batumi Frequency on UFC and contact Tower for permission to start engines

7) Start the F-18

Bill Clark

Note: I will ignore ATC on land bases because I need HOT rearm and refuel for mission I am creating.

Bill Clark

You can land, hot rearm, and takeoff again. You'll just be skipping the request start and request taxi steps in the sequence. The request for takeoff permission is still there and works just as before. Effectively you have taxi permission until you shut down and that includes the branch where you taxi to runway and request takeoff.