F-15E WIP Update Discussion

DSplayer

Exterior pic is taken at a hanger in RAF Mount Pleasant on the South Atlantic Map. Pretty neat pictures imo.

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Although I was happy to see some clips of the F-15E in the 2022 and beyond video, I am concerned that the "Strike" Eagle didn't release a single piece of air-to-ground ordnance in that video. It still feels like it's a really long way from being finished, despite the hype in that video.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yngvef said:

Although I was happy to see some clips of the F-15E in the 2022 and beyond video, I am concerned that the "Strike" Eagle didn't release a single piece of air-to-ground ordnance in that video. It still feels like it's a really long way from being finished, despite the hype in that video.

I couldn't agree more, i am afraid that this was yet another teaser for something late 2022, if we are more than lucky. With all the setbacks and disappointments with the hype of this module... i am not daring to get my hopes up, anytime soon. I wish i am wrong, since beside the Apache this is my favorite aircraft 🙂 

• Like 1

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

15 hours ago, yngvef said:

We have already seen it dropping ordinance. Now, I'm not saying it's going to hit presale next week. I'm sure it's much further away then that. But have some optimism.

• Like 3

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I also don’t really see the significance of a bomb being dropped or not. They probably could have easily done it for the video’s sake, but what’s more important are the systems/etc. related to it. So rather than doing a quick coding bit to show a bomb drop it shows they’re working hard on all the systems/stuff related to it so it’ll be done and dusted when the time comes

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The fact that it only appears to fire a single AIM-7 Sparrow gives me a feeling that it's just a reskinned/remodeled stock F-15C. I don't know, it just feels empty. If it was anywhere near release I'd expect at the very least to see some basic A/G HUD symbology by now.

It's also the other small things, like the fuel gauge showing 22600 lbs in all the clips and pics I've seen. Which means that either the fuel consumption isn't working or the gauge isn't working. It just doesn't feel finished.

A nice 3d model is not even half the job on modules like these, and unfortunately it seems that a nice 3d model is mostly what they have so far.

After 9 years of disappointment, I've gotten quite cynical I'm afraid.

36 minutes ago, yngvef said:

The fact that it only appears to fire a single AIM-7 Sparrow gives me a feeling that it's just a reskinned/remodeled stock F-15C. I don't know, it just feels empty. If it was anywhere near release I'd expect at the very least to see some basic A/G HUD symbology by now.

It's also the other small things, like the fuel gauge showing 22600 lbs in all the clips and pics I've seen. Which means that either the fuel consumption isn't working or the gauge isn't working. It just doesn't feel finished.

A nice 3d model is not even half the job on modules like these, and unfortunately it seems that a nice 3d model is mostly what they have so far.

After 9 years of disappointment, I've gotten quite cynical I'm afraid.

Can’t speak for the other stuff, but there is a reason for the fuel gauge always being set at max.  When devs are testing systems and weapons of their aircraft in DCS, they almost always turn on infinite fuel and ammo.  This allows them to test whatever it is they are testing for as long as they want without having to land and refuel/rearm. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Coole28 said:

Can’t speak for the other stuff, but there is a reason for the fuel gauge always being set at max.  When devs are testing systems and weapons of their aircraft in DCS, they almost always turn on infinite fuel and ammo.  This allows them to test whatever it is they are testing for as long as they want without having to land and refuel/rearm. 

You may well be right, and I hope you are. I'm just very cautious about getting my hopes up that we'll see this plane in 2022.

• Like 1

Well, here’s the thing they chose what they want to show. It’s definitely not an empty shell. And to say that it looks like a Reskinned F-15C…. Like for real…., is that based on your extensive knowledge of module/model development or the massive lack there off…..

I recommend you all stop with these half empty guesses based on lack of knowledge and just wait until more images and video’s show up 

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wish we got some videos like that Mirage F1 Preview that Aerges made. Bunch of in-game cockpit footage, flicking switches, seeing instruments move, that sort of stuff. These stills (on top of the flying footage from the '2022 and Beyond' video) don't really much justice to what progress they appear to have made.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

5 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Wish we got some videos like that Mirage F1 Preview that Aerges made. Bunch of in-game cockpit footage, flicking switches, seeing instruments move, that sort of stuff. These stills (on top of the flying footage from the '2022 and Beyond' video) don't really much justice to what progress they appear to have made.

Yeah, hope they release something like that once they have enough of the cockpit systems ready for showing. They can start with A2A modes since that seems to be getting worked on at the moment.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

They are putting some series coal in the hype train.  This is a day 1 buy for me.  I cannot freeeeakin wait. 

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Notwithstanding my complete ignorance of coding, I'm amazed at how long it takes to make a plane. It's like it takes as long to make a digital copy of a plane as it does to develop the real one.  Again, I know little about nothing, or vice versa, but shouldn't a couple/group of skilled computer guys be able to put out a really good plane in, I don't know... six-months? 

Just seems with the mega computers, super programs, and solid history of making digital planes that it wouldn't take years. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

Notwithstanding my complete ignorance of coding, I'm amazed at how long it takes to make a plane. It's like it takes as long to make a digital copy of a plane as it does to develop the real one.  Again, I know little about nothing, or vice versa, but shouldn't a couple/group of skilled computer guys be able to put out a really good plane in, I don't know... six-months? 

Just seems with the mega computers, super programs, and solid history of making digital planes that it wouldn't take years. 

Razbam haven’t been actively working on the F-15E for the entire time since it was first announced. It was put on the back burner for many years because tbh at the time it was announced DCS was missing a lot of fundamental features required to do the Mudhen justice. And the Razbam team had plenty of other things to work on with the Mirage and AV8B etc.

Now that DCS has a working AG radar api and reliable multi crew the project has been re-started.

Regarding how long it takes to recreate a sim aircraft. Yes I imagine if a team was to put all its efforts, full time, simultaneously, into creating a study level representation of an aircraft 6 months wouldn’t be unreasonable. But that isn’t how a lot of module development goes. Often sections of development are not being done simultaneously so for instance perhaps the art assets need to be completed before much of the coding can begin. Often coders are managing many different projects at the same time, like for instance doing updates to other modules (M2000, AV8B etc). This also doesn’t take into account that people may not be working on these projects full time in the first place and they may be side projects that can be fitted in around other work.

This is to say that it takes as long as it takes. I’m sure Razbam want to get the Mudhen out just as quickly as we want to see it. But if you’re going for quality and really diving into the minutia of how an aircrafts systems work, and getting it to fly how it should, these things take a lot of time.

I’m sure they are also acutely aware that people have very high expectations after all this time, and they want it to be as completed and bug free as possible when it first appears. So you can add in a bunch more time for testing, bug finding, fixing re-testing etc etc.

Edited by Deano87
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

49 minutes ago, Deano87 said:

Razbam haven’t been actively working on the F-15E for the entire time since it was first announced. It was put on the back burner for many years because tbh at the time it was announced DCS was missing a lot of fundamental features required to do the Mudhen justice. And the Razbam team had plenty of other things to work on with the Mirage and AV8B etc.

Now that DCS has a working AG radar api and reliable multi crew the project has been re-started.

Regarding how long it takes to recreate a sim aircraft. Yes I imagine if a team was to put all its efforts, full time, simultaneously, into creating a study level representation of an aircraft 6 months wouldn’t be unreasonable. But that isn’t how a lot of module development goes. Often sections of development are not being done simultaneously so for instance perhaps the art assets need to be completed before much of the coding can begin. Often coders are managing many different projects at the same time, like for instance doing updates to other modules (M2000, AV8B etc). This also doesn’t take into account that people may not be working on these projects full time in the first place and they may be side projects that can be fitted in around other work.

This is to say that it takes as long as it takes. I’m sure Razbam want to get the Mudhen out just as quickly as we want to see it. But if you’re going for quality and really diving into the minutia of how an aircrafts systems work, and getting it to fly how it should, these things take a lot of time.

I’m sure they are also acutely aware that people have very high expectations after all this time, and they want it to be as completed and bug free as possible when it first appears. So you can add in a bunch more time for testing, bug finding, fixing re-testing etc etc.

I would say that’s a pretty fair assessment. 

The updates to the other aircraft that have continued to happen haven’t coded themselves. When you have to lend support to fixing pop-up bugs and adding mew stuff to aircraft already released, the time and the people have to come from somewhere. 

ED has done much of the same with all their aircraft in development so no difference. 

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Deano87 said:

Yeah, that all sounds pretty reasonable.

It's just for someone on the outside of the loop, it can seem a bit odd that a plane module for a flightsim can take as long to build as a skyscraper.  :happy:

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

24 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Yeah, that all sounds pretty reasonable.

It's just for someone on the outside of the loop, it can seem a bit odd that a plane module for a flightsim can take as long to build as a skyscraper.  :happy:

Have you seen code before?  It’s a pretty laborious task to take on. 

• Like 1

Razbam haven’t been actively working on the F-15E for the entire time since it was first announced. It was put on the back burner for many years….

This explains everything to understand it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer