DCS: J-11A is not J-11. More of a modernized SU-27SK(?) FLanker

DmitriKozlowsky

14 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

J-11 in DCS is not J-11. The pit is not like the real thing, nor are weapons. Just putting a Chinese skin don't make it PLAAF or PLAAN shore based squadron J-11.

Its more of a modernized Russian post Y2K SU-27. But its nice to have SU-27 firing R-77.

The cockpit in real life does look like what we have in DCS.

r_15722886_2009120408350469543800.jpg.69fe09c7f8ff0eb3f2bfc3796ec04504.jpg

and what do you mean with are not like the real thing ? It carries R-77

Ju-J-fyrcsrw4874770.jpg

My skins

15 hours ago, Mike_Romeo said:

The cockpit in real life does look like what we have in DCS.

r_15722886_2009120408350469543800.jpg.69fe09c7f8ff0eb3f2bfc3796ec04504.jpg

and what do you mean with are not like the real thing ? It carries R-77

Ju-J-fyrcsrw4874770.jpg

You know that there's different variants of the J-11 and that the variant that we have in game could have been later upgraded right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

6 minutes ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Isn't the J-11 literally a knock-off SU27 anyway ?

Yes, it is. Afaik they got all the parts for first batches and assembled like Lego bricks.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

22 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Oh China you so cheeky 

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/stolen-and-copied-meet-china’s-j-11-fighter-jet-173796

oh : I see China was actually licensed to build them by Russia. 

J-11A in PLAAF and PLAAN carries PL family of missiles. Now, in fairness, Wikipedia article on R-77, does state that R-77(M?) is in service with PLAAF. But all the photos from P-8A. P-3, and RC-135 Rivetjoint intercepts by J-11 show PL missiles. Same for Taiwan ADIZ incursions. Photos from Taiwanese Mirages, F-16s, and IFA intercepts of PRC air elements, show them to be carrying only PLs on operational missions.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:27 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

J-11B in PLAAF and PLAAN carries PL family of missiles.

FTFY.  Don't care about what wiki says, usually their details are weak and deserving of further investigation.  The J-11A was built in limited numbers and production was stopped in favor of the much updated J-11B.   By the time the PL-12 was successfully test-fired, J-11A production had been halted.

So, whatever J-11A version we have in-game, it's before PL-12 integration (assuming it was ever integrated into the A at all).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 10:31 PM, GGTharos said:

FTFY.  Don't care about what wiki says, usually their details are weak and deserving of further investigation.  The J-11A was built in limited numbers and production was stopped in favor of the much updated J-11B.   By the time the PL-12 was successfully test-fired, J-11A production had been halted.

So, whatever J-11A version we have in-game, it's before PL-12 integration (assuming it was ever integrated into the A at all).

If I got it right, he is talking about upgrading J-11A to J-11B in DCS...

• 2 weeks later...

I think he is not surprised in any different way than many others.

When i first got into DCS and did not know a terrible lot about the Su-27, i expected to be able to use the weapons and aircraft used in Syria, active missiles, a mix of all kinds of missile seekers and all kinds of guided A/G weapons.

Instead, i got surprised by a plane with a bunch of lamps as an RWR and fox1 missiles from 1987. I tried enjoying it but ended up frustrated and quitting shortly after in 2016/17. And back then, the most modern plane blue had was a 2000s eagle without link16. Now, its much worse, on top of things like the R-27 being unupdated (infact: nerfed compared to before). Im 100% certain that if i started playing DCS right now, i would be as confused as the OP in this thread and i would never have spent a single penny (except for the "Su-27" trap purchase).

As i happen to know, more than just one of the ex western airforce (including USAF/Navy) pilots who play DCS were extremely negatively surprised by the capabilities of red jets. Imagine being briefed for J-11s with AESA radar, PL-10 and longer range active missiles than you, to then  see the 80s and early 90s garbage they're equipped with in DCS.

Some get over this disappointment and buy the F-18 or 16, firing amraams at soviet scrapyard models or resorting to the -120 on -120 spamfest on public servers. Others dont, who knows what games they're spending their money on instead. But certainly not DCS.

Edited by Max1mus
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

I was about to comment that as much as I am dissapointed with my own skills, I am even more dissapointed by weird stuff that happens in Su-37 cockpit, like 27ER looses track for no aparent reason... Failing to lounch all day. As much as I do blame my poor skills as a/a pilot I do have very hard time to belive that Fox 1 missle is unable to track AI MI 24.

Anyway, I got feeling that most of simple aircraft in DCs are forgoten and when you get new plane, be it Ed or other it is all the same stuff in another package. Almost no newer weapons.

I think I am just done with this, too many tries and too many failed expectations for me.

23 hours ago, Aries101 said:

I was about to comment that as much as I am dissapointed with my own skills, I am even more dissapointed by weird stuff that happens in Su-37 cockpit, like 27ER looses track for no aparent reason... Failing to lounch all day. As much as I do blame my poor skills as a/a pilot I do have very hard time to belive that Fox 1 missle is unable to track AI MI 24.

Anyway, I got feeling that most of simple aircraft in DCs are forgoten and when you get new plane, be it Ed or other it is all the same stuff in another package. Almost no newer weapons.

I think I am just done with this, too many tries and too many failed expectations for me.

It´s sad to hear that you´ve been through some negative experiences flying FC3 standard planes in DCS. I can certainly tell you that you´ll have a vastly better experience flying the full fidelity modules, however. But as this is not your main issue please let me elaborate a little more on why we do not see a more advanced "red" fighters - for the moment at least, as ED is supposedly working on a MiG-29A. It is very hard if not impossible to get the documentation (SMEs, also!) required for newer russian aircraft and their associated weapon systems and avionics. For example, if a developer should decide to do a full fidelity Su-35 module there would be a tremendous amount of guesswork involved in creating a lot of the systems and capabilities of it. ED certainly does not want that and I am perfectly fine with this decision, actually. The same goes for the MFI-55 which was planned for the J-11 but is currently on halt just because of missing info on some pages and functions of this display. ED has set a high standard to use only (scientifically) reliable information and this is a good thing as we all benefit from it, I guess. And this goes for all modules, of course.

Edited by Tango3B

@Aries101 have you reported your issues? Or you just don't know why and how your missile loses tracking? Mi-24 is hard to hit, it's slow, napping the ground and shooting chaff while R-27 is not some superweapon either.

Su-37? A mod?

What new weapons did you expect?

How different modules are the same thing in different package? I don't get it.

If you were really done with it you wouldn't seek attention on the forum, would you?

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I believe the ambition is to add MFI-55. I don’t know if they plan on adding it but I do believe the N001VE is the correct radar? If those do end up being added, I have no idea if they will it should be about as good as any 2000s flanker in air to air. Same capabilities as the Su-27sm in a2a just without the ground. Less able radar then the MKI and MK2 but with better kinematicly. You don’t get to much better till the J-11b and Su-35 in the 2010s and we don’t have much from that time frame yet anyway.

still I think what we have is correct for the J-11 in its early years.

• 5 months later...
On 1/16/2022 at 5:56 PM, F-2 said:

I believe the ambition is to add MFI-55. I don’t know if they plan on adding it but I do believe the N001VE is the correct radar? If those do end up being added, I have no idea if they will it should be about as good as any 2000s flanker in air to air. Same capabilities as the Su-27sm in a2a just without the ground. Less able radar then the MKI and MK2 but with better kinematicly. You don’t get to much better till the J-11b and Su-35 in the 2010s and we don’t have much from that time frame yet anyway.

still I think what we have is correct for the J-11 in its early years.

Yes, our 11A should have the N001VE as all delivered 11 standards got upgraded to 11A and were given this radar type to match the newly arriving Su-30MKKs which were entering service in 2000 adding ability to fire on 2 targets at a time with R-27/77 (up from 1) like the MKK along with greater range, better ability to track low and slow targets, improved A2G usage as the Su-30MKK has. As for the PL-12, the 11A entered service around 1999-2000 and the 12 entered service in 2005 at which point the 11As still flying were updated to use it.

So at the least EVEN if we don't get the PL-12 we should have the PL-8B and 001VE (idk if we have this rn can't find radar type for the DCS version but PL-8s are in game files.) which adds 5km (up to 70km from 65km) to track range, ability to track 10 and fire on 2 targets at once (R-77/27ER/ET/PL-12) and better look down performance.

Edited by FlankerFan35
details
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 11:49 PM, FlankerFan35 said:

Yes, our 11A should have the N001VE as all delivered 11 standards got upgraded to 11A and were given this radar type to match the newly arriving Su-30MKKs which were entering service in 2000 adding ability to fire on 2 targets at a time with R-27/77 (up from 1) like the MKK along with greater range, better ability to track low and slow targets, improved A2G usage as the Su-30MKK has. As for the PL-12, the 11A entered service around 1999-2000 and the 12 entered service in 2005 at which point the 11As still flying were updated to use it.

So at the least EVEN if we don't get the PL-12 we should have the PL-8B and 001VE (idk if we have this rn can't find radar type for the DCS version but PL-8s are in game files.) which adds 5km (up to 70km from 65km) to track range, ability to track 10 and fire on 2 targets at once (R-77/27ER/ET/PL-12) and better look down performance.

if and when we get the J-11a upgrades it should match the Su-27sm in air to air and only be less then the J-11b in air to air for 2000's flankers.

6 hours ago, F-2 said:

if and when we get the J-11a upgrades it should match the Su-27sm in air to air and only be less then the J-11b in air to air for 2000's flankers.

Pretty much, would be slightly less capable without lofting FOX-3s but would go well beside an SM.

• 5 weeks later...