Cannot input GRID (MGRS) in F18

Atom1285

Hi,

so when I try to input the GRID in the F18, I click on the GRID button on the ufc, the grid page shows up on the right screen and when I move the TDC to a grid I want to select, I press TDC depress, the line indicating the grid was selected shows up for a split second and then dissapears again.

After that when I try to input the MGRS it doest let me to input the numbers.

I was in the Caucasus instant action "Ready on the ramp"

I am including a track.

Thanks

bug.trk

So, hey. I did a bit of testing and it seems the issue was in me using a ministick for slewing the TDC and when I depressed it, it also moved a bit which cancelled the selecting of the grid.

Should this be happening?

I fixed it by just applying a big deadzone and/or using a different button for TDC Depress.

Oh yes! You finally managed to reproduce this?

I've been having this bug for ages without being able to report it

I also thought it was a TDC slew deadzone issue, but it presented when just pressing enter on the keyboard and also with a huge deadzone to the TDC axis

Edited by Swiftwin9s

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

1 minute ago, Fisherman82 said:

This is a wierd one, I never had an issue, I have one of those replacement PS3 type ministicks in my Warthog throttle, however I dont have the TDC depress on that ministick but instead the grey one on the right side of flightstick instead. 

Yeah it depends, on my X56 it is very hard to depress the stick without moving it accidentally.

It's a known limitation (not sure if I'd call it a bug or not).  You need a small (like 1 or 2 IIRC) deadzone on your mini-stick for consistent usage (even if you're not using the depress directly on it).  Even a tiny input (*which may not show up as movement on screen*) from the mini-stick causes this issue.  I really found this with the TM replacement mini-stick.  If you're trying to press the mini-stick, it's a challenge because you are almost always going to move it at least a tiny bit and cause it to not catch so you may need a bigger deadzone.

2 hours ago, rob10 said:

It's a known limitation (not sure if I'd call it a bug or not).  You need a small (like 1 or 2 IIRC) deadzone on your mini-stick for consistent usage (even if you're not using the depress directly on it).  Even a tiny input (*which may not show up as movement on screen*) from the mini-stick causes this issue.  I really found this with the TM replacement mini-stick.  If you're trying to press the mini-stick, it's a challenge because you are almost always going to move it at least a tiny bit and cause it to not catch so you may need a bigger deadzone.

I'd just like to isolate that there is a separate issue going around, MGRS wont accept the GZID even when you have a deadzone of something crazy like 20 and use a separate button for the TDC depress. Its not a controller issue, there is just a bug with the MGRS entry.

2 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

I'd just like to isolate that there is a separate issue going around, MGRS wont accept the GZID even when you have a deadzone of something crazy like 20 and use a separate button for the TDC depress. Its not a controller issue, there is just a bug with the MGRS entry.

Interesting.  I can't recreate that and I usually use another joystick button for TDC depress (rather than the ministick press).  Checked and my deadzone is 2.  On my Winwing Orion I can actually use the ministick press no problem (seems to press cleanly, without moving).

What button/software are you using for the TDC depress?  Any chance that the signal is too short (not sure that could even be a thing on a keyboard 🤔)?  I know I've had that issue with getting consistent presses on the UFC using a button box and Autohotkey until I set the hold time for the press to 50 milliseconds.

34 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Interesting.  I can't recreate that and I usually use another joystick button for TDC depress (rather than the ministick press).  Checked and my deadzone is 2.  On my Winwing Orion I can actually use the ministick press no problem (seems to press cleanly, without moving).

What button/software are you using for the TDC depress?  Any chance that the signal is too short (not sure that could even be a thing on a keyboard 🤔)?  I know I've had that issue with getting consistent presses on the UFC using a button box and Autohotkey until I set the hold time for the press to 50 milliseconds.

I normally use a winwing taurus, but to isolate the axis from the press I just used my keyboard. If you look at the video I posted above you will see what I am seeing. The GZID is being selected but promptly deselected. What's most interesting is that a few minutes of spamming like shown in the video will eventually make it stick, and then after that it works fine for all the other waypoints.

40 minutes ago, rob10 said:

I was going to say it really has the same symptoms as when it's getting a small input from the ministick, but if it works in SP and not in MP that's just weird.  My tests were in SP, didn't realize you were only having the issue in MP.

Needless to say its a PITA to pin it down, hence why I haven't actually reported it yet.

• ED Team

So just to update this thread, as the first posts mentions I only see the issue if I am using an axis to slew the TDC combined with a switch, like the warthog throttle mini stick / button. 

As soon as I set a dead zone on the axis I dont have any issues. 

So as far as I can tell it is due to the axis moving while depressing the TDC. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 8 months later...

Same problem with my TM Warthog. Set a dead zone to 20 on the TDC axis, and it becomes doable to designe a box (almost as easy as AA refuel, requires as much calm). 20% dead zone seems to make the TDC axis usable for other purposes. I will try to adjust the best value. I think Eagle Dynamics should address  this issue.

• 2 months later...

I have the same on my WH.

Sometime it works once, the second attempt each time failed.

After a lot of frustration i tried to use the arrow-keys and the Enter-key for it. Mostly it works, but sometime it is the same as with the ministick.

Edited by Buhli

• 7 months later...

I have the TM 16000.   Re-mapped the ENTER key for use with the grid selection and it works.   TDC depress still won't work and moved the dead zone to 9.  No change.

Edited by Saguanay
Added