Re-align on the boat?

Diesel_Thunder

I’ve searched and could not find out if this was something that could be done (DCS or RL).

Is it possible to re-align the nav while on the boat in the middle of a mission, such as if you landed to rearm/refuel?

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Maybe shut down fully and restart? 

IRL IDK, alot of planes needed special equipment to "align" on the boat, harrier is one of em. So its entirely plausible the tomcat did too IRL and maybe thats not entirely reflected in the startup procedure or maybe thats why you can't just align it anywhere.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

IRL you can re-align on the boat, sure. Simply turn the INS to OFF, then back to CVA. The same pre-requisites exist as for the initial alignment, I.e. a SINS feed, either via RF/Data link or cable. You can align without the SINS feed, called a Handset alignment, but a handset alignment is a LOT less accurate. The SINS feed provides ship Lat/Long, true heading, speed, and pitch/roll/yaw info to the CSDC. A handset is the RIOs best guess at position, speed and true heading, and no pitch/roll/yaw corrections. Many crews wouldn’t launch at night without a SINS alignment. 

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Would the handset alignment work fine  on the ground?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Right, the only time the system will even accept a handset is in the CVA alignment mode. 

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

1 hour ago, sLYFa said:

You dont need HS alignment on the ground, since your plane is not moving and the current position is known from aerodrome charts.

Yeah, but AFAIK we don't differentiate this in the DCS cat do we?

At any rate it would be nice to have an option for jester to re-align the jet without having to fully shut down/startup.

Edited by Harlikwin

44 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah, but AFAIK we don't differentiate this in the DCS cat do we? 

Yes we do, there are different alignment modes for beach and boat (GND and CVA) , the latter requiring some information on how the boats/ACs position changes during alignment. This can be either  provided by the SINS or derived from an initial position and velocity vector (i.e. HS alignemt). 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD