Graphics Card For DCS World

My take is that not many players can afford the ridiculous prices for the 3090 top end cards.

I am hoping that due to lack of these sales in volume the prices will drop shortly.Thats the hope.

The whole graphics/framerate/etc etc is a damn headache and negatively affects the general joy of flying and various missions ingame.

Especially quite soon we will have moving clouds etc....

still running ryzen 5 200 on a 1080 pallit .....................ALL TURNED LOW and it sux!

ReShade! lol  https://reshade.me

Edited by protea1

AMD FX-8350

PALLIT GeForce GTX 1080 [ NVIDIA]

CRUCIAL MX500 1TB SDD

DELL P4317Q 43"

TRACK IR

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Viacom VoiceAttack

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sinking money into combinations of expensive CPU/GPU at this moment is largely pointless, due to the true bottleneck being inside software itself.

You will likely end up with hardware which is not fully utilized while still suffering from the same problems as others. 

Large parts of DCS are written in lua, which by its design does not provide the multi-threaded support natively. This is obvious on larger servers with lots of objects, where the server induced delays, that reflect in drop of FPS on client side.

At the same time I am quite sure that server itself is under-utilized in terms of multi-core capabilities. Mission authors struggle with all sorts of optimizations (removal) at this very moment. I do not think ED can add additional eye candy or advanced features without solving this first.

Until ED makes improvements into this area it is very difficult to predict which CPU/GPU purchase makes sense.

I would wait and see for the future multi-threaded support before deciding on any further extension (i10750H, RTX 2070 Super, 64 GB RAM).

8 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

Hi Burt,

No worries. Yeah when I try to measure an undervolt I try to find out what a game needs first. So I run with optimal power and a 60fps limit and sort of see where the GPU numbers settle.

The 3090 needed about 1150mhz in a free flight in the fa-18. It was using idle voltage but was pulling 135w. This does go up if you fly low in a built up area.

I setup an undervolt of 1600mhz using 0.775mv. For 1440p 60fps maxed out minus SSAA. So far that my DCS undervolt! Hence massive overkill for 1440p 60fps.

I imagine you would find its limits if you started upping the resolution. I'll test that later on in the week 

Okay great makes sense thanks for your feedback. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

I first tried DCS on a Q6600 with 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, GTX 760 2GB.

I decided I liked it, so then I moved to a I5-3470 @ 3.2 GHz with 32GB of RAM, same SSD and GPU plus an 750W Seasonic PSU.

For reasons unknown to me, there was a reduction in FPS, and I have tried everything already with no luck...

That was somewhat dissapointing ofcourse. GPU load actually increased to 99%-100%. CPU load seems average, but there could be micro spikes I guess.

I am playing on a Dell U2415 24" with a max resolution of 1920x1200 at 60Hz. And I am not considering a gaming monitor as I already have 2 of them for office use.

So realistically I am after a solid 60FPS performance even when on heavy missions, but on a lower resolution than most of you I guess.

Do you think the CPU is adequate? Which GPU should I consider from the product range available at the moment (only new, not used)?

I would consider buying something good for VR in the future, but I would like to hear from you for both options (monitor & VR).

I am not after being able to set all graphics settings at high, as I do not want to spend crazy money.

Thank you

Below are ED'S hardware recommendations for various graphics levels .

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

Rtx 3050 or (better) 3060 , or AMD rx6600 xt for monitor . Minimum rtx 3070 or rx 6800 for VR . 

The general rule for VR is to buy the best gpu you can't really afford !

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2