She still got it...I hope it never gets taken away...

After an 8th month self imposed hiatus I was tempted back by the Hind. Having done the usual (oooo and cor, shoot stuff, learning not to crash) I found myself drifting back to Hip. For a module I resisted for so many years (on the grounds it looks like a tadpole - so very  logical and scientific ones) , its had magical hold over me since the day I finally relented in one of the sales. 

In spite of the lack of love it receives these days (save for someone polishing the cockpit to a ridiculous mirror shine), its relative simplicity and its bugz, once I get going, all that stuff just doesnt matter. Hours lost in noodling about in ever most challenging scerarious of my own doing. It has something that no other module including the big hitters like the F14, F18 and Hind have and I really dont know what it is. It just draws me in. And the shake and shimmer never grows old.

Of course Id love to see it brought up to date and its certainly worthy but, at the same time, I worry that a certain something (and a good deal of fps) would be lost in the process. 

Right , off to to perch precariously on a mountain top shack, balancing on only one wheel for absolutley no reason whatsoever..... 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

After an 8th month self imposed hiatus I was tempted back by the Hind. Having done the usual (oooo and cor, shoot stuff, learning not to crash) I found myself drifting back to Hip. For a module I resisted for so many years (on the grounds it looks like a tadpole - so very  logical and scientific ones) , its had magical hold over me since the day I finally relented in one of the sales. 
In spite of the lack of love it receives these days (save for someone polishing the cockpit to a ridiculous mirror shine), its relative simplicity and its bugz, once I get going, all that stuff just doesnt matter. Hours lost in noodling about in ever most challenging scerarious of my own doing. It has something that no other module including the big hitters like the F14, F18 and Hind have and I really dont know what it is. It just draws me in. And the shake and shimmer never grows old.
Of course Id love to see it brought up to date and its certainly worthy but, at the same time, I worry that a certain something (and a good deal of fps) would be lost in the process. 
Right , off to to perch precariously on a mountain top shack, balancing on only one wheel for absolutley no reason whatsoever..... 

I totally get it. It might be my favourite module for some reason.
It least one of the most flown for me.
There are other modules that pulls me in as well, like the C-101, L-39 and I can't wait for the MB-339...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hip and Harrier (flaws an all)- if it dont hovver, dont bovver. 🙂 

I think i will be a 1st day purchaser of the MB-339 as it appears to have created out of a real love for the aircraft. Dont get me wrong, the F14 is awesome and I will buy anything from HB in future simply because, IMO, they delivered on it,  but, not being a cold eye killer jet ace,  I kinda like the underdog nature of some of the less sexy modules (yeah im in the A6 rules camp). 

My ultimate desire for dcs though is simpy to fly jet recon/ helo re- supply missions in an MP server where there are not 10,000 f16s camping above me. 

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 3

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

For your helo re- supply missions in an MP server then I could definitely recommend Cold War 1947 - 1991, many scenarios with most containing the Mi-8.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 64Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090,

CONTROLS: VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base, VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R], Thrustmaster Warthog – Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR - Pendular Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control (For Anubis C-130 Hercules), Meta Quest Pro.

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11,

Yeah, I am in total agreement.....I don't know why but I keep coming back to the Hip.

That being said, I haven't tried the Hind yet....just about to as soon as my DCS finishes updating!

Another good server to try is the Search and Rescue one (actually there's two Caucasus and Syria). I get better frame rates in the Caucasus one.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i5 / 16gb RAM / Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti / Viewsonic 28" monitor / TM Warthog / TM Elite rudder pedals / TrackIR5

First flight sim: Psion 'Flight Simulator' (ZX Spectrum 48k)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 10:46 PM, ratherbegliding said:

Yeah, I am in total agreement.....I don't know why but I keep coming back to the Hip.

Me too.  👍

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

100% Agree.

Love the Hip. Best! Module! Ever! 👍

Though it needs some care and attention by now... Let's hope ED is aware of the gem they have in their portfolio and show it some love one day.

• Like 3

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

23 minutes ago, Hiob said:

100% Agree.

Love the Hip. Best! Module! Ever! 👍

Though it needs some care and attention by now... Let's hope ED is aware of the gem they have in their portfolio and show it some love one day.

Going off the few previous updates like the A10 it does appear more likely to happen if there is sufficient added to justify a small charge to cover the work. I get this. Dcs is never a finished product and moves on. Unfortunately with the Hip there are few attractive additional features for the casually interested  ( by that I mean bang bang stuff) that could be added. Diehards would likely pay for a nice pit and some fixes but probably not in the numbers to recoup. 

However  when something changes that affects the module ( like the reflective surfaces that really only seem to calm down with global illumination ) this should not be left. Even though the immersion of the module bats such distractions aside with ease its still annoying.  

Personally I think the hip is deserving of an update simply to acknowledge just how great it was in the first place. If it worked with multicrew or, ultimately, had an interactive AI crew it may even generate a few late sales but that’s a number of bridges too far I think  

• Like 1

The only thing, the hip need atm (imho) is an updated set of internal textures, perhaps nicer pilot models (optional) and better lighting and reflections.

The flight model is still one of the very best in DCS (imho!) and with the pods, you can use it as formidable gunship.

What makes the modul outstanding for me is, the very rewarding satisfaction when you master (🙈) it's systems and flight controls. I mean helicopters in general are more rewarding than planes - but the Hip somehow strikes a string for me. You can wake me from a drunken stupor and I would probably be able to coldstart it... 😂

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

6 minutes ago, Hiob said:

The only thing, the hip need atm (imho) is an updated set of internal textures, perhaps nicer pilot models (optional) and better lighting and reflections.

The flight model is still one of the very best in DCS (imho!) and with the pods, you can use it as formidable gunship.

What makes the modul outstanding for me is, the very rewarding satisfaction when you master (🙈) it's systems and flight controls. I mean helicopters in general are more rewarding than planes - but the Hip somehow strikes a string for me. You can wake me from a drunken stupor and I would probably be able to coldstart it... 😂

I want the co-pilot to look suitably concerned/impressed at my efforts. I'll pay big money if he also showers me with kisses when I deliver a 10,000lb container without going into VRS.  I want the engineer to slap my hands if so much as glance at a switch on the central overhead and I want to hear the sound of grunts graning and throwing up in the back as I "carefully" deliver them to their tasks....

Hmm, never going to happen - id be happy if the interactive start up was implemented. I read somewhere it was a thing in the early days but disappeared. 

1 hour ago, Boosterdog said:

I want the co-pilot to look suitably concerned/impressed at my efforts. I'll pay big money if he also showers me with kisses when I deliver a 10,000lb container without going into VRS.  I want the engineer to slap my hands if so much as glance at a switch on the central overhead and I want to hear the sound of grunts graning and throwing up in the back as I "carefully" deliver them to their tasks....

Hmm, never going to happen - id be happy if the interactive start up was implemented. I read somewhere it was a thing in the early days but disappeared. 

What do you mean by interactive startup? Sombody else flicking all those switches for me? NO, never! 🤣 They are all MINE! 😜

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

What do you mean by interactive startup? Sombody else flicking all those switches for me? NO, never! 🤣 They are all MINE! 😜

That cockpit is the ultimate study in sharing things. Never in field of flight sim history have some many switches been out of the reach of so many crew from so many positions. 

• Like 5

thank god, I have a multiple persona disorder and can switch seats effortlessly without getting confused… 😂

Proper Multiplayer would be neat though….

• Like 2

100% agree with OP.

It is a superb module.... but more than that, it is a very useful chopper to have hanging around. For me the MI-8 gives Redfor fantastic ability in such a superbly simple machine. The MI-8 seems to have gone down hill since the Hind, This does need to be put right. She does not even sit right on the Tarmac! She should be nose high and proud!

I would love this sort of simplicity and capacity for Bluefor.... something with equal lift/troop capability and with ease of learning. I bet an old steam gauge Chinook or more modern Merlin would fit my needs nicely..... a Super Frelon would be weird.... would be interestingly weird.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

For me it is a combination of many things that make it one of my most flown modules. 

The way she flies is the most rewarding experience for me yet and while it was frustrating to fly her at first (goddamn VRS), this phase has now long passed and I find the experience odly soothing, she is very stable yet very agile and fast and the landing are sometimes tricky but nevertheless so satisfying when pulling them off beautifully. 

Then there is the system modeling itself, perhaps it is just me but never have I been so satisfied with this kind of system interactivity, so many things seem to work together such as the electrical system, hydraulical, and fuel systems. Again, it feels very satisfying to fly and see the systems interact with each other in sometimes some interesting ways. I remember of the time I got shot in the tail by a AAA gun, I escaped and thought I was fine, then 10 minutes later I see I have a gearbox warning light, I think nothing of it, after that I get more and more warning lights up until my tail rotor stops working, the generators too and I crash land somewhere. If I'm not mistaken it was a tail gearbox fluid leak that caused the back rotor to stop, but heck, this is a moment I'll never forget and is a testament to how great the level of detail seems of this module is. It feels very satisfying to fly this module knowing it's quality. 

Finally the simple fact that it is THE mi8 is enough to make me like it. The legacy of this helicopter is immense and it actually opens up mission ideas for DCS. The mi8 was not purely a military helo, but was also used in many civil applications. It gives a lot of flexibility when making missions and adds a whole new dimension of interest for this module. 

In any case I have such a great time with this helo as it is now that wanting new textures has actually completely become irrelevant to me as the are great by my eyes and I frankly don't care, but I can agree giving it a texture upgrade is the logical update any fan of this module would wish (though I admit the way it runs on my PC now is perfect so I'd rather retain this performance). 

Best DCS module to me yet. 

• Like 4

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

A moderate texture upgrade would be fine for me, loosing FPS in this bird would not go down well in VR and it is too important a chopper to loose in my hanger.

• Like 3

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:20 AM, Boosterdog said:

Same with me. I like flying the Mil-8. Various different scenarios.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For my beloved jets - Mig21, Viggen and C101 - i managed well without pedals. Now I finally ordered pedals and the warthog-hotas and I am really looking forward to the Mi8 I purchased some years ago. It´ll be a challenge being an almost complete helicopter-noob and most likely the community will be bombed with rookie questions 🙂 but that thing... I fell in love with it at once.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fleur79 said:

For my beloved jets - Mig21, Viggen and C101 - i managed well without pedals. Now I finally ordered pedals and the warthog-hotas and I am really looking forward to the Mi8 I purchased some years ago. It´ll be a challenge being an almost complete helicopter-noob and most likely the community will be bombed with rookie questions 🙂 but that thing... I fell in love with it at once.

I hope you'll find it as absorbing as many of us have found it.

If you cant add a damper to the pedals, loosen them up to ease the strain on your legs. Also look up the You Tube videos from Casmo TV about rotor theory and trasiitioning and the ones from AVTerminus on handing the Hip. Both will save you a lot of "WTF" moments and are full of great tips to really help you appreicate the module. Devrim's Black Cockpit mod looks great whilst Grajo's Rough Met mod brings the externals to life. You'll need to have your Textures on high with hip as its an old old cockpit but the performace hit isnt as big as on the more recent modules. Oh and in the "special" tab for the Mip , turn off "Controls Helper" - my personal experience is that it does the opposite to helping anything!

See you somewhere on a mountain pass pulling off a single engine overweight landing in blinding snow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like the OP, I resisted the Mi-8 for a long time. Once I finally decided to learn to fly her, she became my favorite aircraft. I love to fly just about anything. I have most all of the modules. But there is something just special about the Mi-8. I hope she gets some love from ED.

BTW I recently got some Virpil pedals. I was doing fine with the twist stick before. But I highly recommend pedals. 

Edited by Zeagle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, Boosterdog said:

I'm right there with you. I got into DCS because of the MiG-29 but now I only ever want to fly the Mi-8 and now Mi-24. I'm not done with jets entirely from now on but Mi-8 is just the perfect module. It needs more head space with Track-IR/VR and multicrew functionality though. It would be cool to look down outside the helicopter from the left hand window. Hope they work on multicrew soon though. This is the one helicopter that desperately needs it.

Edited by IcedVenom
  • Like 1

I'm right there with you. I got into DCS because of the MiG-29 but now I only ever want to fly the Mi-8 and now Mi-24. I'm not done with jets entirely from now on but Mi-8 is just the perfect module. It needs more head space with Track-IR/VR and multicrew functionality though. It would be cool to look down outside the helicopter from the left hand window. Hope they work on multicrew soon though. This is the one helicopter that desperately needs it.
Have you tried editing the snapviews.lua or whatever it is called?
I can easily put my head into the cargo bay.

• Thanks 1

Am 14.12.2021 um 12:52 schrieb Boosterdog:

I hope you'll find it as absorbing as many of us have found it.

If you cant add a damper to the pedals, loosen them up to ease the strain on your legs. Also look up the You Tube videos from Casmo TV about rotor theory and trasiitioning and the ones from AVTerminus on handing the Hip. Both will save you a lot of "WTF" moments and are full of great tips to really help you appreicate the module. Devrim's Black Cockpit mod looks great whilst Grajo's Rough Met mod brings the externals to life. You'll need to have your Textures on high with hip as its an old old cockpit but the performace hit isnt as big as on the more recent modules. Oh and in the "special" tab for the Mip , turn off "Controls Helper" - my personal experience is that it does the opposite to helping anything!

See you somewhere on a mountain pass pulling off a single engine overweight landing in blinding snow!

Ok then :). My first brief résumé of the 8 as a helicopter-beginner is simply great fun. My take-offs look like a drunkard holds the stick, landings usually break something important. But I dearly love it already! Is there an english cockpit for version 2.7 already?

16 minutes ago, Fleur79 said:

Ok then :). My first brief résumé of the 8 as a helicopter-beginner is simply great fun. My take-offs look like a drunkard holds the stick, landings usually break something important. But I dearly love it already! Is there an english cockpit for version 2.7 already?

Yes - Not sure one if there is a default one but Devrim's cockpits certainly work in 2.7. None of the pits are as high res as the later modules but they look ok.  Devrim's black cockpit is the one I use. Pick the pits by going to the "special" tab in the set up menu and selecting the Mil8. 

• Thanks 2

There's an included English pit under special settings.
Some have found user mase they find better, but I've never tried them.