She still got it...I hope it never gets taken away...

On 12/21/2021 at 7:26 AM, Fleur79 said:

Is there an english cockpit for version 2.7 already?

I like to use the Black cockpit, by @Devrim ... it works fine on DCS 2.7

Screen_211020_160758.jpg

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 months later...

Just got it on sale yesterday. What a great module! Been going chopper crazy in DCS for a while and put off the Mi-8, but after watching a really good documentary on it the other night, my interest peaked and I had to get it. 

Funny how some modules just grab you even if they weren't some daydream from your childhood, like the F-104. But the Mi-8 got me right away, it just feels right, and maybe because of that after a day or so I can fly the thing fairly well, even (almost) hover. And half my landings are not actually horrible. The FM just makes sense to me. Would love to see 6 pods of S-13s, but it is what it is.

I have all the choppers except the Gazelle, and no question I'd keep the Mi-8 and the Ka-50 if I could only have two. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

5 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Just got it on sale yesterday. What a great module! Been going chopper crazy in DCS for a while and put off the Mi-8, but after watching a really good documentary on it the other night, my interest peaked and I had to get it. 

Funny how some modules just grab you even if they weren't some daydream from your childhood, like the F-104. But the Mi-8 got me right away, it just feels right, and maybe because of that after a day or so I can fly the thing fairly well, even (almost) hover. And half my landings are not actually horrible. The FM just makes sense to me. Would love to see 6 pods of S-13s, but it is what it is.

I have all the choppers except the Gazelle, and no question I'd keep the Mi-8 and the Ka-50 if I could only have two. 

Step into the light my friend 🙂  THIS is why I still play DCS despite everything else!

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

34 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Step into the light my friend 🙂  THIS is why I still play DCS despite everything else!

It certainly is a great module. Another favourite in a list of favourites.

I do ❤️ my DCS. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 1:59 AM, Beirut said:

The Hip still has THE best flight model imho. Including all fixed wing and the Apache. I don't care if it is true to live. It just feels the best!

• Like 3

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

51 minutes ago, Hiob said:

The Hip still has THE best flight model imho. Including all fixed wing and the Apache. I don't care if it is true to live. It just feels the best!

Yep, it's great fun to fly. Would love to see it get a graphics update, but it's still a ton of fun.

Be cool to have the special forces variant.

russias-new-mi-8amtsh-vn-special-operati

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 1:46 PM, Beirut said:

Yep, it's great fun to fly. Would love to see it get a graphics update, but it's still a ton of fun.

Be cool to have the special forces variant.

russias-new-mi-8amtsh-vn-special-operati

I was just mentioning. How for a Mi-8 II, they could add the weather/outline/terrain radar to help make it worth it. In terrain mode it should be able to spot ground targets. And has a pretty good range 

• Like 3

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, the Big Lady is awesome! It keeps puzzling me why people don't run in throngs to the shop to buy the module. I mean... sure, she looks like an old style milk truck, doesn't look hot or badass, as one of you mentioned above, she isn't an attack helo or a proper gunship, either, BUT... Mi-8 IS a top-notch module in DCS and it does matter a lot. RL aircraft is one thing, but the quality and "completeness" of simulation is another thing. She's on par with the Hawg (Charlie) in my book. There's so much depth to the module, the FM feels so good, so detailed, but also all the systems on board, starting from anti-ice and similar serious systems, but even every damned volt- or ammeter seems to work, a switch you didn't even know was there works, too. She's so amazing.
You wanna HiFi - that's what's called HiFi.

For a few hundred hours of flying Huey and Mi-8 in turns I was on the fence - do I like Huey more, or Mi-8? I finally decided, it's Mi-8 I prefer. I think I know why - Mi-8 is not only an awesome module, but also a very, very competent aircraft IRL. Lots of power, lots of radios (you'll need some to home on), she is TrulyTrimmableTM, she can cruise without you getting tired (as in Huey), you can medevac, you can swing load like a pro, you can also shoot and it's a lot of fun... provided the bad guys don't shoot back too much at you (which is a serious caveat, I know). 120 rockets? Or if you prefer realistic payload - 80 of them? That's a lot. Those machingun pods are fun like hell - you even get two flavours of bullets. Very soft targets, scattered around - spray red tracers (7.62 mm), you've got a million of them. Something slightly more endurable - aim with green tracers (12.7 mm). You need a serious punch - good, replace gunpods with cannonpods (23 mm), not too many rounds, but if you hit, they just kill. The only thing I haven't learnt to deal with (yet) is 30 mm grenades. Maybe some other time I'll get down to it.
Even those "basic level" autopilots are really good, SAS that is. For instance, you can "kinda-autohover" in Mi-8. Use pitch and roll SAS - those dials on the center pedestal. Bring her to a manual hover, force trim and then see if she shows a tendency to drift away - use those dials to fine tune the hover. A few fine touches and she'll stay where you want for quite a long time. I have these dials bound to momentary toggle switches (like: minus-neutral-plus) on my button box - one for pitch, one for roll. Works a charm. Oh, you may add HDG hold to the mix. Normally you don't need this as she force trims so nicely (for sling loading etc. use your eye-hand combo, it's best), but when I get lost in a mission and need to consult the map or briefing, I hover OGE and study the papers, no problem.
You can also trim her beautifully for cruise, 3 options: force trim (it works!), pitch/roll SAS (that works too), or "proper" autopilots HDG+ALT hold.

So, anyway... if you like FLYING the meat and potatoes of a chopper (not a spaceship with a battalion of autopilots under the floor), for me the Mi-8 is still the best one in DCS. I mean FLYING, not missiles, double INU, fancy weapon systems or anything like that - just flying.

I just wish she didn't get "knocked" every now and then as nobody from ED comes back to fix her. First the flood lights stopped flooding anything. Then she got that piano varnish at the back of the cockpit. I wouldn't mind varnish on its own, but it displays those spooky ZX Spectrum graphics reflections, jumping once a second. Recently she's got the fake hum, but I hear this is being dealt with (great!). Don't break our milk truck, ED, please! 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box