Terrible programme - waste ?

Hawkeye_UK

Anyone else who is English, speaks english clearly lol, have used Voice attack for years without any problems have issues with this programme?

Even jumping between the custom pages on the kneeboard is hit and miss.  Still not been able to see the log sheet as yet with "show log".  Try and getting a flight to attack air defence's or armour - nope not recognised.

Terrible - wish i had just stuck to my own voice attack profiles that have worked well for years, however i liked the look of the kneeboard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

It works really well for me. And English is my first language. 

Only had to train a few words, which I had to do for VA as well.

Speech recognition is done through VA (using MS Speech recognition) and then the command is passed to Vaicom. So not sure how you can blame Vaicom for this. Going to assume you followed the setup guide else it will not work very well.

Considering you have decided it is a terrible program, not sure what you want out of this? 

• Thanks 1

@AdrianL is correct, VAICOM only uses VA as a GW to Microsoft Speech Recognition.
I was frustrated once myself, but after getting rid of a Windows upgrade path through 7, 8, 8.1 and all the iterations of 10. I finally came to my senses and did a clean install.
Did the Microsoft Speech training 10x2 times, for both "paths". No individual word training, it never did me any good.
Couldn't believe the difference in recognition. In my old setup I had more than 2000 entries in the dictionary, now I have three I think. Probably need to add more, as some airport names etc. gives me grief. But very rarely actually.
Remember to make a new profile in the MS Speech if you change microphone and redo the training.
Born and bred Norwegian with an "American accent" after a stay overseas in Karachi, back in the 80s/90s. Vocab and pronunciation have detoriated immensely after working in the IT industry for non-native English speaking international companies, for the past 25 years.
Cheers!

EDIT: I use VSPX, and I can't fly without VAICOM.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I found saying "element" got the Flight tab working, same with saying Texaco, brought up the AAR, Darknight -> AWACs Ref sometimes comes up saying Jester, not found anything for log yet

I have a south london accent

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

26 minutes ago, skunk160 said:

I found saying "element" got the Flight tab working, same with saying Texaco, brought up the AAR, Darknight -> AWACs Ref sometimes comes up saying Jester, not found anything for log yet

I have a south london accent

Yeah, this is the trick.
Every page has several options/ways to get to it.
This is what's so clever about it, so you don't really have to remember anything.

Show log/ Show tasking order
AWACS...page/ANY AWACS name...page
JTAC...page/ANY JTAC name...page
ATC...page/ANY ATC name...page
Tanker...page/ANY tanker name...page
Flight...page/ANY part of flight name...page
Crystal Palace...page/I only remember one "name" on this
Crew...page/ANY Crew name...page
Show Notes/ Same here, only remember this one
Same goes for start/stop dictate

Edited by MAXsenna

I also really need to be able to close Viacomm and it not close down Voiceattack (so i can actually use my voiceattack profiles that have worked for years without headache unlike this), or equally if viacomm open and you want to close voiceattack it doesnt keep trying to reopen it.

Crazy piece of software and short sighted to interlink the two so heavily.

Flying the A10 syria mission can get the player to speak and recongises the engage armour , or attack air defences, but actually does nothing - on my existing voiceattack profile that i coded this works instantly.  Here the wingman does nothing depsite the pilot speaking it, go through the F10 and do it, instantly he breaks away.  

Its a nice concept but just doesnt work effectively enough and  also no doubt at ED's mercy for breaking things constantly?

Edited by Hawkeye_UK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I also really need to be able to close Viacomm and it not close down Voiceattack (so i can actually use my voiceattack profiles that have worked for years without headache unlike this), or equally if viacomm open and you want to close voiceattack it doesnt keep trying to reopen it.
Flying the A10 syria mission can get the player to speak and recongises the engage armour , or attack air defences, but actually does nothing - on my existing voiceattack profile that i coded this works instantly.  Here the wingman does nothing depsite the pilot speaking it, go through the F10 and do it, instantly he breaks away.  
Its a nice concept but just doesnt work effectively enough and  also no doubt at ED's mercy for breaking things constantly?
You can daisy-chain profiles so you can have your profiles running at the same time.

It sounds like you have opened Vaicom using the executable. This is designed to auto restart VA / Vaicom if it crashes during use. To close this you need to right click on it and close it. If you don't want this, open VA directly.

It is not crazy integration - it is done so that Vaicom can get information from DCS about what is happening / available recipients etc.. It does take some getting used to, but I am another British English user (southern UK) who can confirm that it works very well.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

You say you get the "player to speak", are you getting responses from your wingmen?
If not check using the correct radio (TX) and have it tuned to correct frequency, also settings in VAICOM might change it if you have selected that option.
Can you please turn on debugging, try again and post the log so we can ha e a look?
Cheers!

14 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

Just switch to your preferred profile in VoiceAttack if you want to use a different one. And I've never seen VAICOM close VoiceAttack. Perhaps you can provide some more specific information about your experience and get some help here.

Your "Crazy" comment makes no sense to me at all. VAICOM is a VoiceAttack plugin, and it does things that are not possible through VoiceAttack programing alone. Of course they are interlinked.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

22 minutes ago, sthompson said:

And I've never seen VAICOM close VoiceAttack. Perhaps you can provide some more specific information about your experience and get some help here.

I am pretty sure this happens if you use the VAICOM Windows Installer download rather than the .Zip file (manual install) download.

I am pretty sure this happens if you use the VAICOM Windows Installer download rather than the .Zip file (manual install) download.
Pretty sure they're talking about after VAICOM/VA is setup and working. And the behaviour described is if you run the VAICOM tray app as @sthompson suggests.
Which is the way run it of course!

17 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

I also really need to be able to close Viacomm and it not close down Voiceattack (so i can actually use my voiceattack profiles that have worked for years without headache unlike this), or equally if viacomm open and you want to close voiceattack it doesnt keep trying to reopen it

It really is a clever bit of software but needs a bit a perseverance to get it set up properly and then becoming familiar with it's use. A good read of the manual is essential.  I cursed a bit when I moved over to Vaicom from my simple voice attack profiles but the effort was worth it.

As others have said daisy chaining your old VA profiles to the Vaicom profile works really well. You can then have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram, Oculus Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick.

OK thanks for all the positive feedback on this and tips, looks like i will take a deep breath and try again.

@ResectionYes ive read the pdf manual.  

• Like 1

DCS & BMS

OK thanks for all the positive feedback on this and tips, looks like i will take a deep breath and try again.
@ResectionYes ive read the pdf manual.  
I hope the time is worth it, for you!
I really hope we all can help, so please keep posting.
The unofficial Discord is another little gem.

6 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Pretty sure they're talking about after VAICOM/VA is setup and working. And the behaviour described is if you run the VAICOM tray app as @sthompson suggests.
Which is the way run it of course! emoji1.png

It was @hornblower793, not me who suggested that. I do not run the tray app, because VoiceAttack rarely crashes for me, and also because I do not wish to run VoiceAttack as administrator, which the tray app forced the one time I tried it. I have found that VAICOM works just fine running with ordinary user permissions provided I set some file permissions appropriately. The user needs permission to edit some of the DCS files, as well as files in its own folder structure. As nearly as I can tell, if you set those file permissions appropriately then administrator mode is not needed.

Does the tray app shut down VoiceAttack if you kill it? If so, that's one more reason to not use it.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Yes the tray app if you closed it also closes down Voice Attack - I think this is not right to close another programme.  Sometimes you want to just close viacomm and still have voiceattack open.

DCS & BMS

It was @hornblower793, not me who suggested that. I do not run the tray app, because VoiceAttack rarely crashes for me, and also because I do not wish to run VoiceAttack as administrator, which the tray app forced the one time I tried it. I have found that VAICOM works just fine running with ordinary user permissions provided I set some file permissions appropriately. The user needs permission to edit some of the DCS files, as well as files in its own folder structure. As nearly as I can tell, if you set those file permissions appropriately then administrator mode is not needed.
Does the tray app shut down VoiceAttack if you kill it? If so, that's one more reason to not use it.
Apologies, I stand corrected.

Yes the tray app if you closed it also closes down Voice Attack - I think this is not right to close another programme.  Sometimes you want to just close viacomm and still have voiceattack open.
Well, don't run the tray app then, just start VA.
VAICOM, (Viacom is some US broadcasting company, fits though, sorry for being pedantic), is not a program. It's a plugin for VoiceAttack. Just choose another profile, and make sure that VAICOM is not the startup profile for VA.
Like others have suggested, piggy back one way or the other.
Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Well after a month of using the program i have some notes to make that would assist new users.

Detailed explanation and user video on how to implement Vaicom and SRS together, and of course the upcoming DCS bespoke VOIP.  Even after reading the manual setting the same button for TX1/2 and SRS radio 1 and 2 results in numerous issues.  As in it doesnt transmit, flashes up briefly TR and immediately disconnects.  I think the lack of quality instructions on how to setup and use the programs within DCS is a real issue when running SRS.

I still hold, and its also been noted by some of the regulars on our server that the vaicom plug in is actually quite aggressive in how it control the host program of Voiceattack.  I maintain my position that closing a plug in, Vaicom, should not terminate its host program, i do not understand why its been coded this way, a pain in the arse to be honest.  We do not always want to use vaicom, we really do need to have the tray running to tweak things on the go and the ability to switch if off, without it closing voice attack would be highly recommended.  Basically what is makes out is that voice attack is not worth running unless vaicom is which is nonsense.

Also i will add that where is the option to keep the jester overlay menu?  All because the programme introduces a direct connect to talk to him, in the heat of the moment, if it doesnt understand or you forget a command, then the menu is still VITAL.  Why remove this so that the actualy ingame keybind doesnt work.  Its again removing functionality becuase their perception that this newer system is better, which it isnt always.  For this reason alone i have already disabled the plug in for jester.

To be honest - i still cannot see the advantage of having the programme over a self made voiceattack profile.  Im clearly missing something, but then again so are quite a few others on our server.

Yet to be convinced.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK

DCS & BMS

1 hour ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

To be honest - i still cannot see the advantage of having the programme over a self made voiceattack profile.  Im clearly missing something, but then again so are quite a few others on our server.

For someone like me that has not previously used voice attack I found VAICOM an easy way of implementing voice comms. I don't use SRS nor wish to use voice control for anything other than comms so it has worked for me out of the box. I guess in your usage scenario I can see some complexities but as a ready made package I have been impressed with how well it works.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

3 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

Well after a month of using the program i have some notes to make that would assist new users.

Detailed explanation and user video on how to implement Vaicom and SRS together, and of course the upcoming DCS bespoke VOIP.  Even after reading the manual setting the same button for TX1/2 and SRS radio 1 and 2 results in numerous issues.  As in it doesnt transmit, flashes up briefly TR and immediately disconnects.  I think the lack of quality instructions on how to setup and use the programs within DCS is a real issue when running SRS.

I still hold, and its also been noted by some of the regulars on our server that the vaicom plug in is actually quite aggressive in how it control the host program of Voiceattack.  I maintain my position that closing a plug in, Vaicom, should not terminate its host program, i do not understand why its been coded this way, a pain in the arse to be honest.  We do not always want to use vaicom, we really do need to have the tray running to tweak things on the go and the ability to switch if off, without it closing voice attack would be highly recommended.  Basically what is makes out is that voice attack is not worth running unless vaicom is which is nonsense.

Also i will add that where is the option to keep the jester overlay menu?  All because the programme introduces a direct connect to talk to him, in the heat of the moment, if it doesnt understand or you forget a command, then the menu is still VITAL.  Why remove this so that the actualy ingame keybind doesnt work.  Its again removing functionality becuase their perception that this newer system is better, which it isnt always.  For this reason alone i have already disabled the plug in for jester.

Yet to be convinced.

Those aren't really notes to assist new users but rather a restatement of criticisms you've posted previously. If you don't like VAICOM then go right ahead and use your own VA profile. To each their own opinion.

But I have to push back on the unfair criticism about "closing a plug in." VAICOM behaves just like any other VA plugin. It starts when VA starts and exits when VA exits. There is no such thing as "closing a plug in" except by killing VoiceAttack, and this is by design of VoiceAttack, not VAICOM. The VAICOM plugin does not "terminate its host program." So I do not understand what you are talking about in making that criticism.

If you want to have the ability to terminate a plugin without killing VoiceAttack I suggest you take it up in the VoiceAttack forum. The VoiceAttack specs for plugin design includes a function for killing the plugin but (per VoiceAttack documentation) it is invoked only when VoiceAttack itself is shutting down, and this action is initiated by VoiceAttack, not by the plugin.

You are perhaps restating your previous criticism of the VAICOM.EXE tray app, and not of the plugin itself. As was pointed out to you earlier, use of that exe is totally optional. If you don't like its behavior, then don't use it. I don't. VAICOM works fine without it, and it was provided only to provide a way to automatically restart VoiceAttack when it crashes. It otherwise has nothing to do with the plugin.

• Like 1

Yet to be convinced.
Why do you come here and posts these lies?
You have been repeatedly told again and again that the VAICOMPRO.exe tray app has nothing to do with the plugin iyself, and it's sole purpose is to restart VoiceAttack if it crashes. So YES, it will restart VA when you close VA, unless you right click the app and select close.
THIS IS A FEATURE!
As for the AIRIO interface. I don't know the technicals aspects of it, but Hollywood has stated that the VAICOM wheel is a workaround due to some technical issues/conflicts. Turn on hints, and you'll have options. I don't use the wheel, and I have used the Jester wheel once, just to see what the fuzz was about...
I you don't like VA simply don't use it, but don't come here and spread disinformation because you use it incorrectly.
Cheers!

7 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Why do you come here and posts these lies?
You have been repeatedly told again and again that the VAICOMPRO.exe tray app has nothing to do with the plugin iyself, and it's sole purpose is to restart VoiceAttack if it crashes. So YES, it will restart VA when you close VA, unless you right click the app and select close.
THIS IS A FEATURE!
As for the AIRIO interface. I don't know the technicals aspects of it, but Hollywood has stated that the VAICOM wheel is a workaround due to some technical issues/conflicts. Turn on hints, and you'll have options. I don't use the wheel, and I have used the Jester wheel once, just to see what the fuzz was about...
I you don't like VA simply don't use it, but don't come here and spread disinformation because you use it incorrectly.
Cheers!

If thats the case then please can someone explain why having radio 1 button bound for SRS and the same button for Viacom radio 1 then doesnt allow SRS to work.  when you push the PTT it opens briefly and closes itself.

As for lies thats a nonsense, i'm purely saying how it is.  I'm not new to flight sim software or voice attack or for that matter voice comms.  I've looked around there is no clear guides on how to put every setting when SRS, except the manual, which i have done it is doesnt work with SRS correctly.  It fails to transmit!  

The only way can get SRS working is to turn off viacom and do not have the same radio 1 and 2 keybinds.  As in making viacom pointless. 

As for turn on hints and the jester wheel  - again no clear guide.  Are you saying there is an option to have the jester wheel come up? If not why has it been removed, aka removing functionality.

11 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

For someone like me that has not previously used voice attack I found VAICOM an easy way of implementing voice comms. I don't use SRS nor wish to use voice control for anything other than comms so it has worked for me out of the box. I guess in your usage scenario I can see some complexities but as a ready made package I have been impressed with how well it works.

Yea im sure if you just do single player and dont want to talk to other people then its fine, im really struggling though (and not the only one) re multiplayer and SRS.

DCS & BMS

I usually never do MP and have never had an SRS transmission IIRC. Haven't bothered to quite set it up and test it. NO VAICOM issue.
BUT I have ready many posts on this forum that it works very well with VAICOM, but in various configs due to user preferences. Many users seem to go the 4 button way,, to completely sprit up SRS and DSC comms, as they don't want the "double speech" while networked. This would be a lot simpler if we could turn off player voice in multiplayer.
I also am looking forward to see what the VoiceChat brings to the table, and the compatibility with VAICOM.

Jester wheel. Seems you can trick the original wheel ones, if you start VA, AFTER you have entered the Tomcat. After mission is done you have to restart DCS to trick it again. Which make me wonder why the original wheel can't be used all the time but I guess it hase to do with sync of Jester. Anyway, I use neither. I have hints turned on, and if I don't remember a command, well, the hints are displayed.

I might have been a little harsh, apologies for that. But it seems your understanding of how the tray app works relative to the plugin/VA, made you come up with some wildly false accusations about VAICOM. And you failed to mention that it's used by one's own free choice. So

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

I usually never do MP and have never had an SRS transmission IIRC. Haven't bothered to quite set it up and test it. NO VAICOM issue.
BUT I have ready many posts on this forum that it works very well with VAICOM, but in various configs due to user preferences. Many users seem to go the 4 button way,, to completely sprit up SRS and DSC comms, as they don't want the "double speech" while networked. This would be a lot simpler if we could turn off player voice in multiplayer.
I also am looking forward to see what the VoiceChat brings to the table, and the compatibility with VAICOM.

Jester wheel. Seems you can trick the original wheel ones, if you start VA, AFTER you have entered the Tomcat. After mission is done you have to restart DCS to trick it again. Which make me wonder why the original wheel can't be used all the time but I guess it hase to do with sync of Jester. Anyway, I use neither. I have hints turned on, and if I don't remember a command, well, the hints are displayed.

I might have been a little harsh, apologies for that. But it seems your understanding of how the tray app works relative to the plugin/VA, made you come up with some wildly false accusations about VAICOM. And you failed to mention that it's used by one's own free choice. So emoji2373.png

As one of the people who has gone through the "button bind split up option" to manage SRS and VIACOM i can say that the approach in the manual does work, I did find it a little tricky to sort out and if I remember correctly some servers it doesn't work on - I think this  might be to do with the server side SRS, I'm not sure though. My main reason for splitting was so that I could be 100% confident that I was not transmitting viacom commands to other players. I think the button split works really well if you have the switches available.

I too am really interested to see how viacom and the new voice chat work together. I am expecting that at least initially a similar button split approach might be required. I would hope for a greater degree of simplicity in the longer term. I guess  it depends upon how the new voice chat and the existing default ATC and AI menu commands work together.

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 1