Calibration Tool Completely Messed up Warthog Stick Axis. PLEASE HELP.

PJPower05

I purchased a TM Warthog stick last month.  Ran the calibration tool via windows, and every axis was messed up afterwards.  I couldn't get the stick to respond at all appropriate (up would give you left rudder, pitch you down, etc).  Rescanned all devices on DCS, still had the issue.  I returned it thinking it was defective.  Now, I just ran the TM Calibration Tool 1.13, and the same thing.  The stick is unusable.  I have tried every USB port, reset the joystick to default, attempted to do a windows calibration, tired to make something work via the Target software.  Nothing.   Please help.  This is incredibly frustrating.   I do not feel it is a hardware issue, but rather a software issue.  Any ideas?

First do not(!) calibrate the Thrustmaster stick or throttle, unless asked to, by a technician from Thrustmaster during a support session. 

There are explicit statements in the manual, that the stick usually does not need any calibration by the end user under normal circumstances and warning not to use the windows calibration utility under any circumstances. 

Second, where did you get the calibration tool? Did you check and update the firmware, before attempting to mess the factory calibration up? If not you should update the firmware, I had a similar issue once, as the firmware was older than the calibration tool.

Take care to unplug any other game controller, rudder etc. and follow the steps in the guide. If you are lucky, you can calibrate the stick after that.

If not they may be so kind and replace the stick again. 

Link to Firmware update manual:

https://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/pc/hotas/manual/HOTAS_Warthog/HWarthog_Firmware_Update.pdf

Edited by shagrat
  • Thanks 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Another option, if it's only the windows calibration, there was a way to delete the stored calibration for a HID device. If you are lucky windows simply remembers the controller ID and tried to "load" its messed up calibration. Slim chance, as you said you used the TM calibration tool... But at least it won't hurt to reset/delete the windows calibration.

Found it: "Find your controller and right-click it. Select “Game Controller Settings” from the drop-down menu. Select “Properties” from the new window. On the “Settings” tab, select “Reset to Default."

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That would make the most sense....  I calibrated on old firmware.  I found the link on an ED fourm from 3 years ago.  I also read the manual and it mentions nothing about calibration or firmware, but would explain the issue.  To be fair, the Thrustmaster website was down for a majority of the day.  I couldn't access the support section, much less download the target software.  Does this mean my stick is toast??  Is there anyway to reset it?  I have tried several times to reset to default via windows, but nothing.  

Edited by PJPower05

I've used the calibration tool several times, got the throttle to ignore the "Idle Detent" pull up/back area so the throttle starts at the normal pull back point. No issues whatsoever, but I made sure firmware and software were the latest available. I would hope TM can help you..

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

UPDATE-  Spoke with Thrustmaster, I am using WinZip for my downloads.  I opened it directly from the program instead of unzipping in into a file.  That meant the .exe program ran without the numbers.  Hopefully this fixes the issue.  If not, it goes back for repair.