AG Designation Issues - Jumping TGT point and ASL in AUTO

Mikaa

Not sure if this has been reported, but it may be related to the attached bug report that is being investigated.

I have been trying to figure out why my unguided bomb deliveries in AUTO seem so inconsistent in the Hornet, and whether it came down to a case of "git gud," or a bug. I'm now convinced there's something funky going on with the AG designations that's affecting AUTO deliveries, and could also be why there are constantly complaints of unguided munitions not landing on target. Additionally, I have consistent issues with this both before and after a slow repair with a check for extra files, and deleting fxo and metashaders folders.

Attached are 4 tracks that show a preplanned waypoint that is then designated as a TGT using the HSI WPDSG function. This point does not always correlate, when looking through the HUD or JHMCS, with where the point actually is. It is also observable that this designation "jumps" at different times, and if conducting an AUTO delivery when this occurs, the ASL itself jumps, making deliveries very difficult.

This was tested with both slick Mk82's and 82Y's with and without wind. While using the slick bombs, the effect is minimal as TOF is shorter, as well as required offset of the ASL (usually can still hit within CEP) but it is still present; however when any high drag munition is used, this "jump" in the ASL is magnified because of larger ASL offset to compensate for wind and longer TOF. Additionally, I cannot always be sure that the designated TGT point is in the correct place, which leads me to suspect that forum complaints of very large misses are often due to following the ASL to an incorrectly designated point.

The following 4 tracks (mk82 no wind, mk82 with wind, 82Y no wind, 82Y with wind) show a TGT designation at waypoint 1 (set in center mass of the truck at ground level, with FLIR used to visually identify) with a fly over the point, then return pass for simulated AUTO drop.

- During the initial flyover, one can see that the JHMCS diamond is significantly off from the designated point, and then inexplicably "jumps" back to the correct spot (within margin of error - I don't expect the HMD to be exact all the time). This is visible before active pause is engaged, but the pause function demonstrates the magnitude of error better.

- I then head NE, set up the stores page, and return for a pass, focusing on the ASL and diamond in the HUD. On every pass, the diamond (and by consequence the ASL) seems to be incorrectly placed in the HUD, and then randomly "jumps" to a different position as I get close. 

- I abort the pass and fly overhead again, and lo and behold the JHMCS designation point is not on the TGT. At this point I have not touched the FLIR pod, but on the second active pause, I redesignate with the ATFLIR to get the point to jump to its correct location. 

This is also repeatable in the Syria instant action ground attack mission. I can upload a track of that as well if needed. It doesn't matter if the point is designated as an AG waypoint through a preplanned point, or the initial designation occurs with a pod (also doesn't matter which pod is used). Also, the use of active pause is just to highlight how far off the diamond is from the supposed TGT designation, but this can be observed repeatedly without using active pause as well - that's not what is causing this. I've also included the .miz file for what I used to test this. I just added wind to the mission editor of 8kts at surface (thus 17 at 1600) and then 30 kts above that. 

Thoughts?

P.S. One final sidenote, I also notice that during high crosswind scenarios, the ASL will often drift quite significantly as you approach the final few seconds before drop (not the "jump," but an actual smooth drifitng). Is this correct behavior? Makes high crosswind deliveries super hard to track, and can lead to an AUTO drop with significant bank angle. Someone let me know if this is correct behavior, I've always wondered. 

F-18 AUTO Desg Jump-No Wind Mk82.trk F-18 AUTO Desg Jump-8kts sfc Mk82.trk F-18 AUTO Desg Jump-No Wind 82Y.trk F-18 AUTO Desg Jump-8kts sfc 82Y.trk F-18 AUTO Test.miz

Edited by Mikaa
edit: formatting
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

I have reported this to the team for a closer look.

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2