VR Hangar F-14B - Draw argument for no pilot?

arcuspilot

I've got my beloved F-14 in the vr hangar.

Canopy's up, wings in overseep, my livery but I couldn't find a draw argument in the Model Viewer to remove the pilots.  I can get them to adopt various poses which is great but I'd love those guys not to be in the bird.

Does anybody know the draw argument for the sceneVR.lua for this one?

Thanks guys

For sure, Dave - I'll upload asap.  I have the Hornet and the Tomcat in my hangar.  I'll post with that scenario and also with just the Tomcat.  Got a lot on today but I'll get it happening.

Oddly, I've enabled "Follow this topic" but received no notification that you'd replied...

Here you go, fellas.

Just back up your sceneVR.lua in your directory eg. Eagle Dynamics/DCS World OpenBeta/Scripts/DemoScenes.

Then rename whichever of the hangars you choose to, well, sceneVR.lua and drop it into that directory.

If you check the text of the .lua file, you'll see that I've used my own, personal liveries on the jets.  Naturally, you can replace that line with your own.  If you don't, the livery on the jet will just be a default one.  Please let me know what you think.  If you'd like others, I've also made hangars which include the B-17, Harrier, A-10 and some of the other warbirds.

I hope you enjoy them, have a great day!

ChrisDemoScenes

sceneVR - Hornet and Tomcat.lua sceneVR - Tomcat angled.lua sceneVR - Tomcat close.lua

Edited by arcuspilot

Very very nice, thank you.

Finally I got the Tomcat with my Livery in the hangar. Could you please elaborate a little how to "pose" the Pilots? I would love the Pilot to turn his head to "look at me", since I got my own helmet design.

Also, if you know how to put a basic load on the Stations (maybe Tanks and a Sidewinder).....

G'day, Lt Jaeger - I'm stoked you like the hangar model.

To get your pilot to look at you, add these lines below the line: scene.m:setArgument(117, 1); -- canopy up

scene.m:setArgument(6000, 0.569); -- pilot looks to starboard

scene.m:setArgument(6001, 0.324); -- pilot looks down

scene.m:setArgument(6002, 0.640); -- pilot leans out

You don't need the spaces between the lines - I couldn't work out how to not have line spacing in this forum

I worked all this out by using Modelviewer2 in the DCS directory here:  DCS World OpenBeta\bin\Modelviewer2.exe.

This lets you look at all the animations for the jet and drag sliders back and forth, seeing what they do and then noting the mubers and putting them between the brackets (parentheses).  I do the -- blah blah thing to remind me what each setArgument does - the program doesn't read anything after the two dashes.

You load the F-14 model into the program by using the Add Model function and pointing it to DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\F-14\Shapes\f-14b.lods

With other aircraft, find their aircraft folder and shapes folder then look for the biggest file - chances are that's the model.  Cap from Grim Reapers put me onto this path with one of his brilliant YouTube clips - do check those guys out if you haven't already - phenomenal training videos.

You can move, zoom in, rotate the model using left and right mouse click and drag or wheel scroll, maybe holding shift or control too...

Then you move the zillions of sliders back and forth, seeing what results and then noting the number of the slider and the value of where the slider is.

You can get asymmetric wing sweeps, have the RIO hold the handle thing, have damage to the jet etc.  I couldn't get weapons added but the Lantirn pod is 606, 0.106.  The sliders below that rotate the sensor on the front of the device.

Easy-peasy 🙂

If you make a scene you're proud of, please post it, I'd love to see it.

Edited by arcuspilot

10 minutes ago, arcuspilot said:

Great stuff, mate.

Say, I figured out the values for no pilot and RIO: (50, 0.510) and (472, 0.619).

And please do save your custom-made sceneVR.lua off somewhere.  As soon as DCS updates, it overwrites and you're back to the original.

I already made that OVGMe'able, together with my start menu pic and my custom walkman tape 😉

You are welcome, at least that way I can feel as if I payed you something back for your great help.

I'm done with my hangar setup so far, not much different from yours, just put my skin on, let the Pilot look at me and turned the front wheel a little. That's about it.

Tried to play around a little and add a 109, but that lead to crashes. Dunno, seems Warbirds act different...

Hi again, Lt_Jaeger

Awesome of you!  I did get some of the warbirds to work - B-17, P-51 and P-47.  I'll have a squiz at the 109 and see if it crashes for me too.  I'll post here and let you know.  If I get it going, I'll attach the sceneVR.lua for you to muck around with.  Going on hol's for a week but I'll get to it.

It doesn't crash the simulation but the Bf-109 just doesn't show up.  Here's the sceneVR.lua file.  I checked the name of the model in model viewer and it should be right...  I don't get it, Lt Jaeger.  I hope at least it's a place for you to start - I think you now know at least as much as I do.  If you solve it, please let me know - from time to time I fly this bugger and I usually populate my hangar with what I'm flying at the mo.

Good luck!

Chris

sceneVR - Bf-109K-4.lua

Yeeaah!!! That is so awesome, Lutz!

I was just about to leave on my holiday and thought I'd just quickly check if you'd replied to last night's post.  So, so great!  I love how you have each plane positioned.  The nose wheel turned slightly toward you and the pilot looking makes it seem they're actually about to taxi out of the hangar 🙂

Not sure if that's your Tridents livery though as I don't have that livery - for me, it's the Jolly Rogers from the looks of it.  The Bf looks sweet!  Isn't that F-14 huge in comparison?!   And isn't it fantastic we can make our own virtual museum?  I physically stood up and walked around, looking at your creation.

Thanks very much, Lutz.  Have a great week.  I'm off to stay in a beach hotel on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia.  I'll miss the virtual flying but hey, you can't have everything all the time, right?!  Again, mate - fantastic work.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Dave317, I couldn't work out how to put the weapons on unfortunately - they'd be awesome.  I got the LANTIRN pod to show up (please see post above) but that's about it.

Do enjoy the files Jaeger and I posted - you'll see when you open them up (Definitely use the free program Notepad+), it's pretty straightforward to do your own.  Jaeger and I have added descriptive text lines after each "argument" to show what each does.

Thanks for the compliment, vladimusmaximus.  Btw, Jolly Rogers is my favourite non-fictional livery!  Both the Tomcat and Hornet 🙂