Landing in fog

5urvivalis7

What's the proper way to line up the bf109 in a thick fog? I am flying the cold start quick mission that comes with the Marianas map, and I just realized today that I have no idea how to land in this condition because I can't see the runway! I gave it a fair shot and landed on the glass overshot the runway, hit the fence and exploded. 😞

Any historical perspective on how it was done during WW2 as well as how it is done today in general aviation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I think they would have used flares on isolated runway to at least indicate their limites.

But fog like this was probably an almost no fly day for both side ahah 

I agree it is really hard, personally i try to fly close from the ground ans try to spot it. I guess unlucky pilots that had to come back from night missions and be met with heavy morning fog would have been able to at least get close to the runway and try to find area they are familiar with by flying very close to the deck. There are actually a lot of Tales where pilots were completely lost without ground referencing points, so it was very important to them

• 4 weeks later...

As stated in BF-109`s Flight manual, it is not all weather, nor night fighter, nor designed to be flown by instruments only. All current DCS WW2 fighters are day fighters and even in real life  combat sorties would not be undertaken during bad weather. If you still want perform landing in thick fog, then homing beacon will bring you to the airfield`s vicinity and from there relying on eye balls will be your best bet.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:08 AM, 5urvivalis7 said:

Any historical perspective on how it was done during WW2 

yes 

On 11/17/2021 at 6:08 AM, 5urvivalis7 said:

I gave it a fair shot and landed on the glass overshot the runway, hit the fence and exploded. 😞

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• 2 months later...

I'm not a pilot so there may be missing steps, but I think the procedure for GA in a plane with the 109's level of equipment would be along these lines:

Tune radio to VHF 121.5  (optional if you know local ATC freq., which you probably should, in which case just tune to ATC).

Pick up microphone (if not using headset mic) and press transmit key.

Say, "Mayday, mayday, mayday," and then give aircraft identifier.   When ATC asks if you're declaring an emergency say yes, and tell them that you're a VFR aircraft in IMC.

Then you'd ask ATC to give you emergency assistance using their radar to vector you to a divert field that is not covered in fog.

If the the above procedure did not work, and you didn't have enough fuel to wait out the fog or fly to acceptable emergency landing terrain with VFR weather, you would almost certainly die in a fatal CFIT crash.

Taking a VFR plane or VFR pilot into IFR conditions isn't quite a death sentence, but it is a life and death emergency, and prospects for survival are very poor.

In the event that you survived I believe you'd also have to fill out an incident report. 

Definitely recommended to make all your suicidally stupid aviation mistakes in a simulator rather than in real life though. 😉

Edit: There also might be a free lecture after landing (if you survived) on the foolishness of not installing a Mode C transponder and ADS-B on your vintage warbird.

Edited by esb77

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.