Eagle Missing Overspeed Damage Modeling

Cmptohocah

According to the F-15C manual (F-100-PW-200 engine - I am assuming that this is the one DCS version has) engines have a hard limit of 800 knots CAS and for altitude of 11600' maximum mach number is around M1.43 ~ M1.44.

However, from the TacView screenshot, from one of the multiplayer servers, one can see an F-15C doing M1.7 (1244KTS) at 11600 feet.
This guy's engines had no issues as he went latter on to over M2.0 at a higher altitude, I just didn't include the rest of the engagement.

f15-limit.png
f15-1.7M.png

Edited by Cmptohocah
Added more information.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

26 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Know of any other aircraft that aren't missing the limitation?

MiG-21?

• Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

53 minutes ago, Cmptohocah said:

Should I edit the title of the post then to "structural limit" instead of "engine limit"?

I was just clarifying the engine wasn’t the limitation here. The jet is built to go fast, the variable inlets are built to help/protect the motor.

To my knowledge, down low, it’s speed limited due to air friction/heat, more specifically to the canopy, etc. same as about every other US fighter. Just like the whole G tolerance debate, it’s not saying that something negative will happen, it’s just a manufacturing limit imposted to protect the integrity of the airframe. Can/can’t do something vs should/shouldn’t are different applications here. 

9 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I was just clarifying the engine wasn’t the limitation here. The jet is built to go fast, the variable inlets are built to help/protect the motor.

To my knowledge, down low, it’s speed limited due to air friction/heat, more specifically to the canopy, etc. same as about every other US fighter. Just like the whole G tolerance debate, it’s not saying that something negative will happen, it’s just a manufacturing limit imposted to protect the integrity of the airframe. Can/can’t do something vs should/shouldn’t are different applications here. 

Just checked the Flanker's manual.
So there are two limiting factors:
- maximum airspeed (1400km/h ~ 756kts) which comes from structural strength
- maximum mach number (M2.35) which is limited by cockpit glass

I am guessing that the same applies for the Eagle. I know that F/A-18 and F-16 are also both limited to 800kts CAS.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

9 hours ago, GGTharos said:

And yet you don't see any of those fall apart on overspeed either.  I think the flanker has the most detailed DM in that case.

Yeah, I'm not going into that "over-stress" debate again.
But it would be nice to see things starting to fail randomly when exceeding the limits by 150%. I would like to see this on ALL aircraft including the Red side as this would make flying much more realistic and complicated as it is in RL.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

On 11/19/2021 at 7:23 PM, Rainmaker said:

up high, too. it's not as commonly realized but even at very low indicated airspeeds, high mach numbers put pressure on an object. pressure is nearly a synonym for heat

• Cmptohocah changed the title to Eagle Missing Overspeed Damage Modeling
15 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

Yeah, I'm not going into that "over-stress" debate again.
But it would be nice to see things starting to fail randomly when exceeding the limits by 150%. I would like to see this on ALL aircraft including the Red side as this would make flying much more realistic and complicated as it is in RL.

It's not a debate, the point is simply that people notice things when it bothers them, but don't bother checking or realizing that it's more of a game-wide thing than the thing that escaped/beat them thing 🙂

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 3:42 PM, GGTharos said:

It's not a debate, the point is simply that people notice things when it bothers them, but don't bother checking or realizing that it's more of a game-wide thing than the thing that escaped/beat them thing 🙂

Well I think this issue is not yet another: "I feel missile X (that did hit me) had too much flare/chaff sensitivity, therefore it should be nerfed". Although it seems that these claims go quite nice if sufficient number of people or "significant" players complain.😄

I am not nowhere near as long as you on the forum (and I do follow your posts with due attention and respect), but I got the impression is that this was a simulation. As far as I know some other planes/helicopters will break down if you venture outside of the prescribed flight parameters (e.g. negative G and shutdown of the engine on Flanker). The fact that in some module's documentation there are clear statements what those limits are (e.g. Mig-21), it does not mean we should assume that there are no such limits, especially since diagrams exist in this case. 

In this case ability to go beyond the parameters of the actual airplane can do, provide one player unfair advantage over the other. IRL such things are brutally unfair.

This means whenever there are objective data that show deviation from RL, because it is clearly a bug/inaccuracy.