Lost lock with Sparrows using STT

Eagle7907

Does this happen to anyone else?

You STT a target, shoot, and immediately missile gets trashed while target doesn’t do any evading that would cause a lock being dumped.

There is no reason, that I can tell, would cause this. Sometimes it happens with AMRAAMs as well. Shoot, immediate target lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

There’s a lot of variables. If the bandit is hot and close, there’s no reason why it should drop UNLESS, the bandit is below you and your altitude is fairly low. Make sure he isn’t notching as well. Assuming you are doing that, then all I can say is I feel ya.

ive had aim-7s fly off into the sunset wiyh the “lost” notification on my HUD seconds after firing. But I’ve posted tracks before long ago, raised the issue (as have others) and have been assured all is WAD. So I have to assume it is.

but like you, I find it hard to believe that the F-18C radar would lose STT lock on a hot (or flanking frankly) target less than 10 miles away. 

all of that said, performance is MUCH better than in times past. Maybe I’m paying more attention now since aim-120s aren’t working well (pending completion of the new guidance stuff)

Edited by Mike_CK

• 2 weeks later...

It does happen to me, and there are usually two culprits:

1. Your radar briefly tracked your own Sparrow instead of your target, then lost track of the Sparrow and now it tracks nothing

2. There is a "Ghost" your radar will often lock at 99nm. No one knows why. It will briefly track this then dump lock

Both bugs are months old now. The Viper doesn't share them. Then again, the Viper doesn't arbitrarily show missile tracks. Maybe that will change. Supposedly an SU27 pilot said they should. 🤷‍♂️

• ED Team
On 11/17/2021 at 7:23 PM, Eagle7907 said:

Does this happen to anyone else?

You STT a target, shoot, and immediately missile gets trashed while target doesn’t do any evading that would cause a lock being dumped.

There is no reason, that I can tell, would cause this. Sometimes it happens with AMRAAMs as well. Shoot, immediate target lost. emoji2373.png

Attach a track replay showing the problem so we can take a look

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

44 minutes ago, LastRifleRound said:

2. There is a "Ghost" your radar will often lock at 99nm. No one knows why. It will briefly track this then dump lock

It's not a ghost, it's not a bug. It's enemy jammer. Notice that when you have range 99.9 nm on the HUD, on the attack radar screen you will see track on the top of the scrteen (outside of the scan area) with letter J by the side of it.

Screen_210924_235909Screen_210924_235909b.jpg

It's not a ghost, it's not a bug. It's enemy jammer. Notice that when you have range 99.9 nm on the HUD, on the attack radar screen you will see track on the top of the scrteen (outside of the scan area) with letter J by the side of it.
Screen_210924_235909Screen_210924_235909b.jpg.e27960f6b207ba27f3c4ee472bfdbd4d.jpg
That explains it. A lot of aircraft equipped with ECM will turn them on when they're locked in STT. If the OP fired outside the burn-through range (~22 NM), then indeed this is expected behavior based on the correct ECM modeling. And it does look like it as well, the off-board HAFUs seem to be further away than 22 NM.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Screen_210924_235909Screen_210924_235909b.jpg.e27960f6b207ba27f3c4ee472bfdbd4d.jpg

I know my problem isn’t jamming. But thanks for the informative post. That’s good to know.

thanks

Will do.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

6 hours ago, Foka said:

Screen_210924_235909Screen_210924_235909b.jpg

This happens with non-jamming contacts. It was acknowleged in the bug section then fixed for the most part, but AIM7 launches still trigger it sometimes.

Remember in ACM you had to attempt lock 3 or 4 times as the radar would lock the "ghost"?

• Like 1

thanks

I haven’t forgotten to do this. Lately my attempts to duplicate this has failed several times using both RWS and TWS. I even tried targeting an enemy missile to see if that was the culprit. The sparrow intercepted it. All my attempts do have the sparrow tracking the target minus the usual last second tendencies of the sparrow going rogue even though I still have a solid STT lock.

I’ll keep trying. But this did happen several times when I started this complaint.