Switch guards with contact

Kercheiz

I think I understood what you are wanting to do and was trying to upload a video but can't for some reason...

I came up with an idea earlier this year but never made my panel...

You can use a switch guard and then a small normally open(?) push button that is actuated when the switch guard is open and assign that small button to the switch cover?

Will try again to upload a video...

Edited by Badders46
  • Like 1

Nice idea.

If it's a 2-position switch, and you're using the FlightPanels fork of DCS-BIOS, do an update...
They recently added :
DcsBios::SwitchWithCover2Pos jettWTank("JETT_W_TANK", "JETT_W_TANK_CVR", 3);

This opens the cover and presses the switch.  I'm using it on my Mosquito pushbuttons that I have real covers for, but I'll be using switches for my missile covers.
I was going to hid them under the panel, but they look short enough, and I have some black ones.

low cost solution is a small Neodymium magnet embedded in the front lower side of the cover guard and a reed switch below it will give you that function. Reed switch pass current within the magnetic field. Be sure to place the embedded reed switch with no metal plate between it and the magnet (I used this approach the sense lever position in a real oxy panel)

You can find both magnets and reed switches on ebay/elec stores at low cost. 

Edited by Duckling

- - - -

On 11/18/2021 at 8:22 PM, Badders46 said:

I think I understood what you are wanting to do and was trying to upload a video but can't for some reason...

I came up with an idea earlier this year but never made my panel...

You can use a switch guard and then a small normally open(?) push button that is actuated when the switch guard is open and assign that small button to the switch cover?

Will try again to upload a video...

This is what I call the mom/off/on trick! Virpil panels use this for instance.

1 hour ago, yogi149 said:

Hi,

I use a micro-push-button to detect the open cover.

switched-cover-open.jpg

20200601_171822.jpg

This looks fantastic, but I was hoping someone to manufacture them… as less time making this is more time making something else. I’d be paying a decent price if these were available for purchase…

Which guard and micro switch do you use ?

Edited by Kercheiz
  • Like 1

Hi Nikolas_A,

vor einer Stunde schrieb Nikolas_A:

I can't understand why ED went this way with this. We make cockpits to ADD to the realism. Having switches on the guards is not realistic.

but you are free to tell how you would move the guard in the 3D/2D cockpit. (without mouse or controller) 😉 

I use this function to increase my imersion with switches and buttons on the right places.

And some of these guards show essential functions in the cockpit with only one view.

regards yogi

regards / gruesse yogi

1 minute ago, Nikolas_A said:

I don't understand your question. I said it would be better if DCS didn't expect a switch cover signal, what solution are you referring to?

You're criticising a very good solution to a problem, but have no solution of your own...
You want "realism", but you don't want to have to open a switch cover first.  Which is it?

Your aggression is uncalled for.

I'm saying the problem shouldn't exist. I'm saying RightStuff has a good solution. I'm sayin I want to open a real switch cover on a real panel which I'm not going to butcher to install push switches.

Read my posts again, I never criticized anyone but ED for the decision to require a switch cover signal, at least the should have an option to disable it.

I'm out of here anyway...

• Like 1

Hello,

before such an unpleasant mood arises here, perhaps the demands of the pit builders should be clear.

I came up with the solution because I am using a combination of physical pit with VR.
In VR it is helpful if I can see the guard position.
I make replicas of the controls so the switches and buttons are where I see them in VR.
I don't want to think about which function I have now assigned to which key and where is it now.
I built a GNS430 dummy so that I can operate the navigation device under my VR glasses without having to twist my hands with the controllers.
And ultimately it just looks nice when the switch protection moves in VR when I move the part.

And I need some LUA too, because I use the physical correct ON / OFF switches, so I have to assign both functions to the physical behavior of buttons and switches

And DCS is definitely not the only simulator that uses this function in the display.

Edited by yogi149
  • Like 1

regards / gruesse yogi

11 hours ago, yogi149 said:

And I need some LUA too, because I use the physical correct ON / OFF switches, so I have to assign both functions to the physical behavior of buttons and switches

If you use an Arduino Pro Micro or Leonardo, they can be made to behave like a HID (joystick, keyboard, etc.).
This means you could write Arduino code for which "button" is pressed depending on which position the switch is in.

Hi No1sonuk,

the next time I remodel my RIG, I will use my own controller boards, these have some additional features compared to the Bodnar BBI and BU boards.

The new controllers can output the activation or deactivation or both of a switch in corresponding functions.
I don't need a LUA anymore.

• Like 1

regards / gruesse yogi

Hi,

regardless of the fact that DCS does it now, I've expanded the types.
The guards are all constructed in such a way that they force the switches into the indicated position when they close.

As usual with the original.

toggle-switched-cover-4type.jpg

In the open position, the guard actuates a microswitch that can be integrated as a signal. This means that the switch can be in all positions, whereas when the guard is closed, the switch is forced to be in the correct position.

These are the 32 button boards that I'll be using soon.

32_BTU_1.jpg
The inputs can be programmed for different functions.

condition.png

You will get an additional board that enables the connection of the buttons or switches with screw terminals.

32_BTU-TS-Upside.jpg
A 12-position switch with 2 wires will then also be possible.

And 5V for illuminated switches are also available.

regards yogi

• Like 2

regards / gruesse yogi

Hi,

vor 21 Stunden schrieb X_legio:

hi, the board looks interesant, it's a usb plug n play ? Then you have to program her with the programming tool ?

yes, USB-C type connector.

With the programming tool, you can configure every single input in the shown way.

The programmable device ID is from 0-15, as with my joystick contoller.

regards / gruesse yogi