Mission 12

Hi all, Hi @Badger633,

Great campaign so far. Really enjoying it.

I'm having trouble regarding Mission 12.

It was really hard getting the building with the JDAM's (i had to target the ATFLIR to a point in the building base, slightly offset and trigger the Laser) - I'm guessing it shouldn't be this hard with a GPS guided bomb and a big building?

After that went well and got a message from the wingman saying the building was a good hit. After deplyoing the JDAM's I immediatly climbed into the layer as per mission briefing.

Problem 1: Wingman seems to stay stuck in orbit near the DAM while being shot at by multiple AAA's, but still answering messages like he was on my wing;

Problem 2: No SA6 (or any other RWR hostile signal) while on course to WPTY8. After crossing WPTY8 with still both HARMs under my belly I get a message of both missions objectives accomplished and we are instructed to RTB.

Problem 3: While reaching about 30NM from the carrier and descending to land I get a "Mission failed" screen because the last objective was not accomplished.

Attached: Tacview data so you can check it.

Can you help? Currently stuck in this.

Thank you in advance,
Regards

Screen_211118_215517.png

Tacview-20211118-211332-DCS-Persian 12 Lights out.zip.acmi

Edited by MacaoP20

13 hours ago, MacaoP20 said:

Hi all, Hi @Badger633,

Great campaign so far. Really enjoying it.

I'm having trouble regarding Mission 12.

It was really hard getting the building with the JDAM's (i had to target the ATFLIR to a point in the building base, slightly offset and trigger the Laser) - I'm guessing it shouldn't be this hard with a GPS guided bomb and a big building?

After that went well and got a message from the wingman saying the building was a good it. After deplyoing the JDAM's I immediatly climbed into the layer as per mission briefing.

Problem 1: Wingman seems to stay stuck in orbit near the DAM while being shot at by multiple AAA's, but still answering messages like he was on my wing;

Problem 2: No SA6 (or any other RWR hostile signal) while on couse to WPTY8. After crossing WPTY8 with still both HARMs under my belly I get a message of both missions objectives accomplished and we are instructed to RTB.

Problem 3: While reaching about 30NM from the carrier and descending to land I get a "Mission failed" screen because the last objective was not accomplished.

Attached: Tacview data so you can check it.

Can you help? Currently stuck in this.

Thank you in advance,
Regards

Screen_211118_215517.png

Tacview-20211118-211332-DCS-Persian 12 Lights out.zip.acmi 1.96 MB · 1 download

Hi

When did you fly this mission was it before or after yesterdays update. Also are you in open beta or standard and which version are using ie standard or added difficulty.

I will look into this. This issue has never happened before on this mission. Recent DCS updates have been producing some strange AI behaviour. 

Badger633 

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:04 PM, MacaoP20 said:

Hi @badger633,

Thank you for your answer.

Mission was flown after the update:

Open Beta -> 2.7.8.16140

Difficulty: Normal

image.png

Thank you for your help,

Macao

HI just flew mission 12 from the current download of the campaign. All went well, 420 followed as he should and SA6 showed up on the EW. (Not visible until you

start approaching it).  Sorry but  I am at a loss to understand what has gone wrong in your case. Can you fly it again and see what happens?

Badger633

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Hi @Badger633,

Thank you for your quick replies. Really appreciate it. 
I flew it again and I can confirm it worked well this time out. 420 followed me after the drop, and the SA6 activated.

The only two things I noticed different this time were:

• I think I got a conversation with 420 near WP4 I think I did not get the other time out;
  • I did the last stint into WP4 and WP5 around 90/100 kts slower then the first time; (I like to really change my speed and trajectories around AAA so they cannot predict so easily were I will be next);

Question: I manually lased with the TPOD to the base of the building (at around 8NM) so that I could get a good hit; Did you manage to hit it with Laser? If so where did you point the TPOD to? I think the J82 is just "broken" in the current releases;

Thank you again,

Macao

Screen_211122_170050.png

Screen_211122_163446.png

38 minutes ago, MacaoP20 said:

Hi @Badger633,

Thank you for your quick replies. Really appreciate it. 
I flew it again and I can confirm it worked well this time out. 420 followed me after the drop, and the SA6 activated.

The only two things I noticed different this time were:

• I think I got a conversation with 420 near WP4 I think I did not get the other time out;
  • I did the last stint into WP4 and WP5 around 90/100 kts slower then the first time; (I like to really change my speed and trajectories around AAA so they cannot predict so easily were I will be next);

Question: I manually lased with the TPOD to the base of the building (at around 8NM) so that I could get a good hit; Did you manage to hit it with Laser? If so where did you point the TPOD to? I think the J82 is just "broken" in the current releases;

Thank you again,

Macao

Screen_211122_170050.png

Screen_211122_163446.png

Hi

Glad you flew it through OK.

The simple answer regarding the JDAMs is I do not use the laser at all. As you know JDAMs cannot follow a laser being GPS based.

Not sure how you set up your JDAMs. I get them set up when routing in.  Make sure each is set to TOO and instant e fuse well before you get to the target. This allows quick release when required. Set up the TGP and home in to the target area using the waypoint designate and then move the cursor to the base of the target. Then designate the target using a point just above the very bottom of the building. You are designating the point at which the bomb will hit so needs to be within the ground floor of the building. This will be locked into the bombs gps and it will follow this path. 
You must ensure your INS is set up correctly and also ensure you have designated the target not just moved the cursor over it. No need to activate the laser.

Hope this helps

Badger633

1 hour ago, Badger633 said:

Hi

Glad you flew it through OK.

The simple answer regarding the JDAMs is I do not use the laser at all. As you know JDAMs cannot follow a laser being GPS based.

Not sure how you set up your JDAMs. I get them set up when routing in.  Make sure each is set to TOO and instant e fuse well before you get to the target. This allows quick release when required. Set up the TGP and home in to the target area using the waypoint designate and then move the cursor to the base of the target. Then designate the target using a point just above the very bottom of the building. You are designating the point at which the bomb will hit so needs to be within the ground floor of the building. This will be locked into the bombs gps and it will follow this path. 
You must ensure your INS is set up correctly and also ensure you have designated the target not just moved the cursor over it. No need to activate the laser.

Hope this helps

Badger633

Hi again @Badger633,

Thank you again for your answer. I normally use and setup the JDAM's exactly like you mentioned. I normally set the JDAM's to TOO on the ground/deck (and normally the fuse when fencing in).
I lased it because I was under the impression the TGP coordinates will be more accurate if you manually lased the point previously designated with the TDC (I actually can see a slight difference in the MSN page of the JDAM before and after lasing).

I guessed what really made the diffence was actually targeting the base of the building. Always learning with your missions (since Serpent Head).

Thank you,
Macao 

1 hour ago, MacaoP20 said:

Hi again @Badger633,

Thank you again for your answer. I normally use and setup the JDAM's exactly like you mentioned. I normally set the JDAM's to TOO on the ground/deck (and normally the fuse when fencing in).
I lased it because I was under the impression the TGP coordinates will be more accurate if you manually lased the point previously designated with the TDC (I actually can see a slight difference in the MSN page of the JDAM before and after lasing).

I guessed what really made the diffence was actually targeting the base of the building. Always learning with your missions (since Serpent Head).

Thank you,
Macao 

Glad to hear it 😄👍

Enjoy the campaign!

Badger633

• 5 months later...

Hi, I just had the same issue as described above. I'm on normal difficulty, stable version 2.7.11.22211. I got all conversations triggered on all waypoints until wp8, but wingman is stuck at the dam anchoring around. I got confirmation that the building is destroyed.

57 minutes ago, Phantom1012 said:

Hi, I just had the same issue as described above. I'm on normal difficulty, stable version 2.7.11.22211. I got all conversations triggered on all waypoints until wp8, but wingman is stuck at the dam anchoring around. I got confirmation that the building is destroyed.

Hi

Strange, because wingman gets no new script instructions throughout most of the mission certainly in the dam area.  Only thing that comes to mind is if he has run out of fuel. How is the wingman flying at the dam exactly? level, up and down ? (If you are not mindful of your wing and have been pulling away and flying really fast the wing can use an extraordinary amount of fuel trying to format with you.)

Has this happened more than once?  Do you have Tacview? A Tacview file of the issue would be really helpful.

Could also be a DCS AI bug issue. There appears to be a lot lately affecting a lot of campaigns. I will check it out.

Look forward to your reply.

Badger633

I did the second pass on this mission and this time it was ok, wingman was following me all the time and SA-6 got triggered, but I had to rerun this mission for third time and again he started to anchor near the dam and was stuck. It looks like the reason for that is when I'm on high speed (~450 kts) and he looses me and starts to anchor. In this mission getting shot at from everywhere I thought that it is essential to get on high speed and do some evasive maneuvers to avoid them, so it might be a little confusing. In the end I'm happy to finally finish this mission.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:09 PM, MacaoP20 said:

The laser should get you a better range BUT in DCS it's basically like a light saber and comes to an abrupt end at 8 nm, so if you were slightly farther away than that it would be using a point in the air 8 nm from your aircraft (short and above your target) so it would actually be giving the JDAM wrong information.