Navigating using the charts

I've just started the campaing (just flown mission 1) and I'm struggling trying to understand navigation using the charts into the PDF documentation:

A) Charts are too small and in many cases too "blue over blue", making them difficult to read (I have to zoom them a lot)

B) I'm not sure ho to interpret the house-shaped box that describe each route leg, top to bottom (or rooftop to ground flow) whe have:

1. Waipoint number
  2. Magnetic heading to fly
  3. Distance to fly (Km or Nm)
  4. Altitude (?)
  5. GN xxx/yy

I'm not sure of pioint 4 since in some cases (M1 as an example) those numbers are completely wrong.

The point 5 seems to be a sort of heading/distance reference, but from what?

C) What is the scale of the tick marks on the sections of the route? In some cases they seem to correspond to tens of km / nmWhat is the scale of the tick marks over the route legs? In some cases they seems to match the thents of Km/Nm, in others not so I'm not, so I;m not suer on how to interpret them...

D) Using magnetic heading to navigate is ok, the problem is how to estimate the distance: having no reference nav-aid te only way is using speed/time calculation but I think that's beyond my current skill... (not for the math).

Making things worst, route is not visible in the map menu... That whould help a lot when someone get lost. 

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

Number 5 seems to be Grid Navigation. It's basically like a normal course but in reference to a meridian on a chart. Basically, if you follow a heading of 000, with reference meridian being the greenwich meridian, you will fly North until the pole and beyond, because the Grid North is not on a fixed geographical location but a "direction". So if you fly further with heading 000, you get to the south pole until you get back around to the north pole and back down to south pole etc. Google Grid Navigation for more. 

D) Is actually "easy". 300 Knots = 300 NM in 60 minutes - > 5 NM in a minute. It requires you to fly accurately speeds, but if you use convenient speeds, it's very easy. 

4 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Number 5 seems to be Grid Navigation. It's basically like a normal course but in reference to a meridian on a chart. Basically, if you follow a heading of 000, with reference meridian being the greenwich meridian, you will fly North until the pole and beyond, because the Grid North is not on a fixed geographical location but a "direction". So if you fly further with heading 000, you get to the south pole until you get back around to the north pole and back down to south pole etc. Google Grid Navigation for more. 

Ok, thank you

4 minutes ago, razo+r said:

D) Is actually "easy". 300 Knots = 300 NM in 60 minutes - > 5 NM in a minute. It requires you to fly accurately speeds, but if you use convenient speeds, it's very easy. 

Well, my problem is not the math but keeping the speed constant... 😛

Stiil I have to figure out hot to get back on track in case I have to leave the route (i.e. in case of attack)...

Edited by LordOrion

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

A lot of the waypoints are built around geographic locations, that should help you a lot in case you loose your way. Also, I found that the RWR can give quite a good idea of where your Hawk site is. You can use that as a home beacon and find your way back. Further down the road some portable TACANS are introduced in the campaign. As the war progresses there is more logistic added to support the UN forces.  

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm at mission 6: I've managed to navigate using heading from PDF charts and trying to keep a constant speed, using the F10 map to correct the route time to time.

So far the campaing is really nice!

• Like 1

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

6 hours ago, LordOrion said:

Now I'm at mission 6: I've managed to navigate using heading from PDF charts and trying to keep a constant speed, using the F10 map to correct the route time to time.

So far the campaing is really nice!

Soon some TACAN will be deployed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 6:48 AM, SorelRo said:

Soon some TACAN will be deployed. 

I've (finally) seen the TACAN on Krymsk strip!

If I may ask, please:

1) Include the nice waypoint's bearing/range/altitude tables for in-game kneeboard to the PDF documentation: They are quite easier and more practical to use than the small maps there.

2) Add TACAN stations channels in PDF docs too: at least in missions 8 and 9 they are completely missing.

Thank you

Edited by LordOrion

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

13 minutes ago, SorelRo said:

We'll do. I'll make those maps a one pager per slide. Easier to see. 

1000 times thank you 😘

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

3 hours ago, splash said:

In the first mission, what does it means this in first sheet of briefing ?:

GN(90) 301/46

GN(90) 294/30

etc.

Look at second post (1st reply) to this thread

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

1 hour ago, splash said:

Thanks, I had seen the message but I can't quite understand it or how to use it. Currently I'm using the kneeboard in order to navigate and gain SA. RSBN of Krimsk is unuseful in F-5.

Me too, but in the end they are not important: to navigate simply try follow waypoint heading listed into the documentation and use F-10 map to compensate errors when turning.

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...