ATFLIR + Maverick Workflow Question on a Moving Target

Hawkeye91

So currently, when I want to use IR mavs on a moving target, I start by designating a target waypoint with the WPDSG to get the pod looking in the right direction. Then, I move the pod over to the moving target and “auto track” it. Sensor control switch to the Maverick, but wait! It goes to the waypoint instead of the TGP! So I have to press undesignate, sensor control to the TGP, then back to the Maverick, only then will it slave to the TGP, but if it doesn’t track I have to repeat the undesignate, sensor control off and back on the Maverick to get it to reslew itself to the targeting pod because it doesn't follow the TGP. Also I'm unable to manually slew the Maverick seeker to the target while the pod is in Auto Track because undesignate doesn't work to actually allow for manual slewing. This workflow seems incredibly janky and it feels like I'm doing something wrong. Also while the TGP is in Auto Track, you can't manually slew the Maverick to adjust it. The whole system seems rather cumbersome. Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way?

Edited by Hawkeye91

Use ground moving target (GMT) on the ground radar. Pick them up. SS right (if Radar on right DDI) then uncage mav, and let her go, Its almost too easy. No TGP required, although Im sure you could build that in on the AMPCD if you wanted to check what you are shooting at properly!

8 hours ago, FrostLaufeyson said:

As far as I know, it seems that A10C can do what you want, but 18 can't.
However, I don’t have A10C, so I want to know if this is an 18 problem as well, or if it’s an annoying feature

Yeah this is exactly my question. The A10 works off the principle of a "SOI" or sensor of interest, ie the sensor that all other equipment will be slaved to, and for the main target point it as a SPI or sensor point of interest that the SOI will be initially slaved to. The SOI doesn't really exist in the F18, instead everything is just slaved to the SPI and when the targeting pod is moved around, it simply just moves the SPI the other weapons like Maverick will be slaved to. Problem being that the Mavericks will still be slaved to the original SPI location before you moved the pod instead of slaving to the current SPI when you sensor select the Maverick which makes you have to undesigate the original SPI, sensor select back to the pod, and back to the Maverick, to get the Maverick to go to the current TGP set SPI. From a human factors standpoint, this feels like terrible design. Did they really engineer it this way? It just doesn't seem right.

There's definitely something wonky going on regarding SCENE and AUTO modes being used after WPDSG, but you can definitely make it work. The trick is to ensure that the pod becomes the driving source for the TGT designation. The initial creation of the TGT designation using other sensors (HMD, AGR, HUD) does not manifest the issue, it only seems to happen with WPDSG.

After experimenting with the behavior, I've found the following:
- If WPDSG is used to initially drive TGT designation, FLIR will not drive TGT designation in any tracking mode unless TDC Depress is actuated at some point on the FLIR page, otherwise the pod will snap back when returning to INR.
- If WPDSG is not used to initially drive TGT designation, FLIR will drive the TGT designation automatically when switching to SCENE or AUTO.

You can verify that FLIR is driving the TGT designation if the crosshairs in slewable INR are replaced with a diamond. The general workflow would look like this to going after a moving target after WPDSG:
- WPDSG to create TGT at desired location.
- Assign TDC to FLIR and TDC Depress (crosshairs should now be or remain a diamond in INR mode).
- Switch track mode to AUTO.
- Uncage Maverick.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I think it is because you habe to make a TDC depress on the FLIR page first.

Scene or track will focus on an object but the TDC depress will actually designate the coordinates to the system, like you'd do for the JDAM and JSOW.

For a moving vehicule the best way is to indeed undesignate when you are running in and slew the Mav.

For fixed targets, just do a TDC depress before uncaging the Mav.

10 hours ago, RoxSy said:

I think it is because you habe to make a TDC depress on the FLIR page first.

Scene or track will focus on an object but the TDC depress will actually designate the coordinates to the system, like you'd do for the JDAM and JSOW.

This! Changing the track mode of the TGP to SCENE or TRACK just lets the TGP track the object, but it does not designate it as a target! To designate it as a target you need to press TDC DEPRESS!
I'm not sure though if it then starts to continiously update the target position if the tracked target is moving. I will have to test this, as I'm curious myself now.
In the A-10C you just generally designate a sensor (like the TGP) as the SPI provider and it will contioniously generate a target (SPI) wherever the sensor is looking at.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

6 hours ago, QuiGon said:

This! Changing the track mode of the TGP to SCENE or TRACK just lets the TGP track the object, but it does not designate it as a target! To designate it as a target you need to press TDC DEPRESS!
I'm not sure though if it then starts to continiously update the target position if the tracked target is moving. I will have to test this, as I'm curious myself now.
In the A-10C you just generally designate a sensor (like the TGP) as the SPI provider and it will contioniously generate a target (SPI) wherever the sensor is looking at.

A potential way to check on this is to see if the coordinates are constantly changing on the JDAM TOO page while the target is moving.