Cluster munition craters cause huge FPS drop (what is HMDEndFrame?)

blklobo

I Hope New Kind of Bomb Crater..

It's Make Looks Huge Frame Drop When It Has Been Nearby Each Others.

If You Want, You Can Do It Simply.

Please Follow Below Steps.

1. Download This https://github.com/Exence/DevOps/raw/master/integrated_training.miz

2. Open Mission File With Mission Menu in DCS Main Menu

3. Click Mission Planner

4. Select USER_TEST01 or USER_TEST02. You Can Find Them 049° 31km From Kutaisi TACAN

5. Load Mk80 Series Bomb. Any Kind Okay. I Recommend More Than Two Bombs for Test

6. Just Release Them in Specific Ground Point As Your Wish.

7. Multiple Craters Will Be Make Significant Frame Drop.

Any Plan To New Crater?

I Hope.. That Crater So Old Thing Since LOMAC.

Thank You and Have Good Day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

When there are 4 or 5 tanks (or other objects) destroyed, it causes a HUGE fps it.

I tested it, and to my suprise... its not related to burning or other graphjics effects!

It´s easily noticeable when destroyed units stops burning and smoking, only by viewing to them, causes a huge fps loss. It´s very strange due no graphic effect or other "active AI" are in the scene... Please devs look at it, I thing with this fixed and no FPS loss, the performance of the sim could increase a lot, specially with tank battles / bombing mission / attack choppers.  

• Like 1

EDIT: it seems to me that is related to crater that weapons does (specially too many crates with rockets give a huge fps hit only by looking at the zone where rockets land).

Any mod or option maybe to disable those craters? it will bring fps normal...

EDIT2: Doing other testes, In grahics.lua, if I change those lines:

dynamic2 = {300, 18000,0.5}

to 0 values:

dynamic2 = {0, 0,0}

Then, textures of craters or objects debris caused by weapons aren´t showed in SIM, however, the fps reduction where multiple weapons (like rockets) "lands" happens exactly as before. Even when there is not visible any graphic. Like the craters are rendered, BUTnow  invisible to view... BUT with the same FPS hit.

Any way or mod to remove crater phenomenon FPS issues caused by weapons?

Edited by Gryzor
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, Gryzor said:

EDIT: it seems to me that is related to crater that weapons does (specially too many crates with rockets give a huge fps hit only by looking at the zone where rockets land).

Any mod or option maybe to disable those craters? it will bring fps normal...

EDIT2: Doing other testes, In grahics.lua, if I change those lines:

dynamic2 = {300, 18000,0.5}

to 0 values:

dynamic2 = {0, 0,0}

Then, textures of craters or objects debris caused by weapons aren´t showed in SIM, however, the fps reduction where multiple weapons (like rockets) "lands" happens exactly as before. Even when there is not visible any graphic. Like the craters are rendered, BUTnow  invisible to view... BUT with the same FPS hit.

Any way or mod to remove crater phenomenon FPS issues caused by weapons?

New crater textures are now 2048x2048 resolution each.  It used to be 256x256 (upper part in the image below).  And now they're all 32bit (I'm not even gonna go there anymore).  And now they have roughmet textures too.  Also 32bit 2K.

Crater texture in my old mod (shown below) was still 256x256 and 8bit so you can get good crater without going crazy in size.

BetterSmoke_v6_02.jpg

As a test, you can try below to see if it helps.  I made them 1024x1024 and 8 bit.  Still too large in my opinion.  Should be no more than 512x512.

Crater Textures

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

New crater textures are now 2048x2048 resolution each.  It used to be 256x256 (upper part in the image below).  And now they're all 32bit (I'm not even gonna go there anymore).  And now they have roughmet textures too.  Also 32bit 2K.

Crater texture in my old mod (shown below) was still 256x256 and 8bit so you can get good crater without going crazy in size.

BetterSmoke_v6_02.jpg

As a test, you can try below to see if it helps.  I made them 1024x1024 and 8 bit.  Still too large in my opinion.  Should be no more than 512x512.

Crater Textures

Many Thanks Taz, but testing with your textures, there is no difference regarding FPS hit. As I tested before, even with those textures disabled in graphics.lua (dynamic2 = {0, 0,0}), fps hit is huge, most noticeable by looking where weapons impacts (most noticeable with rocket salvo). I think its related for some sort of accumulative script, or memory leak that leads extra unnecesary cycles to the CPU. This makes huge battles nearly completely unplayable, even with high end computers.

Edited by Gryzor
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, Gryzor said:

most noticeable by looking where weapons impacts (most noticeable with rocket salvo). I think its related for some sort of accumulative script, or memory leak that leads extra unnecesary cycles to the CPU. This makes huge battles nearly completely unplayable, even with high end computers.

Yes this is what I have noticed. I have been playing with the Mi-8 in anticipation of the Hind release. Any rocket attack makes my system (Ryzen 5900X + RTX 3080) really struggle in VR even in a scenario with only myself and 4-5 enemy units. 

I hope they get this resolved soon. I don’t think all the new Hind buyers will be pleased when they discover one of their main weapons causes this problem.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram, Oculus Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:56 PM, Taz1004 said:

[...]

Following your posts on this forum really makes one want to rip out one's hair. (Please keep up the good work and keep going there, because i couldn't without loosing my mind)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Can anyone can explain me what is "HMDEndFrame" in FPS statistic info "Right Ctrl + Pause x2"?

background:
I have simple mission on Caucasus map with ~30 ground units on which I train bomb runs.
I play on VR and I have stable 45fps+ on my 3700x + RTX 3090.
But when bomb the units and than I turn my head into "remains" than fps drops to 20fps!!
The HMDEndFrame is rising fom 0.1 to 30+

When I turn my head away from that specific place than fps goes back to 45 and HMDEndFrame is again 0.0 - 0.1

Is this because of smoke coming out of destroyed units?
Is really those 4 smoke plumes cause so much burden on 3090?

fps_drop.png

• Like 3

Ok found the root cause.

FPS drops are not due to smoke plumes. HMDEndFrame is low when I'm isolating one in a frame (first screenshot - fps_drop2.jpg).

But the "bomb craters" is a total killer for my GTX 3090! HMDEndFrame rises to 43+ and FPS drops to 19 if I have one of such isolated in frame (second screenshot - fps_drop3.jpg). The bigger space the crater take on screen, the bigger the fps drop is. And if more craters are in frame the fps drop even more. So flying over area bombarded with cluster munition in killer for GPU.

Due to this cluster bombing is a total killer for VR experience.
Looks like unoptimized shader? (smoke plumes are 2D sprites which roll towards you in VR as old clouds, but craters does not look like a sprite to me).

fps_drop2.jpg

fps_drop3.jpg

Edited by Rosly
Adding more info to bug report
  • Like 1

• Rosly changed the title to What is HMDEndFrame? Cluster munition craters cause huge FPS drop.
  • Rosly changed the title to Cluster munition craters cause huge FPS drop (what is HMDEndFrame?)
5 hours ago, Rosly said:

Looks like reported multiple times:

Is there a way to disable those craters?
This is silly that due to minor graphic effects so many players are loosing fun from this game!

It's not the crater graphic.  I deleted the crater textures and still happens.  I then removed the crater edm file altogether and there are no more craters but still FPS drop when looking at the site of impact.  You can test out and let us know.  Attached below will remove all craters from the game.

CraterTest.zip

Has to be some sort of leak in the code.  For now, I just deactivate all artillery and avoid using cluster bombs.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

It's not the crater graphic.  I deleted the crater textures and still happens.  I then removed the crater edm file altogether and there are no more craters but still FPS drop when looking at the site of impact.  You can test out and let us know.  Attached below will remove all craters from the game.

CraterTest.zip 2.13 kB · 3 downloads

Has to be some sort of leak in the code.  For now, I just deactivate all artillery and avoid using cluster bombs.

I find it hard to beleive Taz does not have an "ED Beta Testers" tag under his name........

• Like 6

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

8 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Sadly the problem happens with rockets and bombs too. A belly full from a Viggen will start dropping the fps as well, and if you do a few runs, ouf. Craters dont even have to be visible, you just need to face the area from quite far away even.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

28 minutes ago, Knock-Knock said:

Sadly the problem happens with rockets and bombs too. A belly full from a Viggen will start dropping the fps as well, and if you do a few runs, ouf. Craters dont even have to be visible, you just need to face the area from quite far away even.

It's not the crater graphic but it is related to crater creation.  MLRS in the game doesn't create crater (which should be another bug BTW) and they don't cause stutter.  And it's also related to number of craters.  When I test with just 5 artillery, stutter was very minimal.  But increased it to 15, it started to crawl.

Thinking it's related to warhead but weapons are off limits since 2.7

Edited by Taz1004

when i watch the weapon view the pucks going off definitely lowers the FPS. however if i am at a distance and altitude the FPS stays constant. 

this is from wiki so take it for what its worth:

The CBU-97 consists of an SUU-66/B tactical munition dispenser that contains 10 BLU-108 submunitions. Each submunition contains four hockey-puck-shaped sensor-fused projectiles called Skeets. These detect target vehicles, such as tanks, armored personnel carriers, trucks and other support vehicles, and fire an explosively-formed penetrator downwards at them.

using that math CBU-97 dropped in a pair would generate 80 separate explosions just from themselves. that's a lot of polygons and we all want realism. it sucks but sort of expected

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

15 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

when i watch the weapon view the pucks going off definitely lowers the FPS. however if i am at a distance and altitude the FPS stays constant. 

this is from wiki so take it for what its worth:

using that math CBU-97 dropped in a pair would generate 80 separate explosions just from themselves. that's a lot of polygons and we all want realism. it sucks but sort of expected

I think the issue here is that FPS drop is there even without all the polygons.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, silverdevil said:

Like others said, that is not the problem discussed/reported here. The problem is looking at the area the CBU's went off minutes later(heck i arrived 20min later to the same area in a Hind after i dropped 6 CBU's from a F-16 Viper) and the FPS went from stable 40fps(VR Rift S) to 20fps and below! There was no explotion/smoke/craters visible from the distance but it killed the fps and performance went immediately up as soon as i was not looking at that area again and went immediately back down as soon as i was looking at the area again.

That is the problem and not a short drop in fps because the old DCS engine is not capable to render an performand particle effect.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

i misunderstood. i honestly do not see an issue but could just be either missing the drop or my system is able to handle it. there is even a mission i downloaded for A10 and two B52s drop 20 MK20s each and its a show but still no residual effects of damage to the ground or whatever. this could be another example of some users with the issue and some without.

and by the way this issue was reported in 2015 and resurrected

Edited by silverdevil

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

3 hours ago, silverdevil said:

i misunderstood. i honestly do not see an issue but could just be either missing the drop or my system is able to handle it. there is even a mission i downloaded for A10 and two B52s drop 20 MK20s each and its a show but still no residual effects of damage to the ground or whatever. this could be another example of some users with the issue and some without.

I only had the performance hit at the time they explode(not that extreme if i remember correct) in the past. I didn't had time for DCS for a couple months but found this issue after returning. So atleast for me it is a new problem, that the fps hit stayes after the explosion effect. I also noticed this online after a SU-33 dropped some cluster ammunition, looking at that area made DCS unplayable - you can divide them(figures down below) for VR.

I have created a very simple test mission. Just a Humvee waiting for a F-16 to drop 6 CBU-97 on caucasus map, no target unit, just "THE cross" 😉

My performance(2D) is 100+ fps before the F-16 drops the CBU's, fps drops to below 20 at explosion/dust/smoke and climbs back up to 35 fps after the effect ends. Panning around my fps climbs to 100+ fps everytime the former area of explosion is out of view and back down to ~35fps as long as the former area is in view.

Mission and track file attached, post will be edited with YT video after processing is finished.

It would be interesting to see your results. 

CBU_performance_mission.miz CBU_performance_track.trk

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

4 hours ago, silverdevil said:

The problem here is not the explosion effects nor smoke in time of impact.

The point is that the FPS are affected long after the bomb hit the ground. This is not due particle effects and as taz1004 pointed out, probably not even the crater itself. If you remove crater efects visuals the problem still remains.

So the bottom line is why we pay by FPS drop for something that is not affecting visuals? I would understand if that would be some dynamic effect that you have to constantly recalculate after explosion but I cannot find anything other than some resource leaking, effect animation loop. In any way this is obviously a BUG. And it is connected with visuals and turning your head away casue the problem to not affect FPS.

Your system spec's are quite impressive but mine is not much worse.

On my side 3700x + GTX 3090 +32GB and the influence of the BUG is severe (drop from 45 fps in VR (5760x2800) to 20 fps)

Edited by Rosly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rosly said:

... and turning your head away casue the problem to not affect FPS.

that good awareness and not having tunnel vision on the target 🙂

2 hours ago, Rosly said:

Your system spec's are quite impressive but mine is not much worse.

On my side 3700x + GTX 3090 +32GB and the influence of the BUG is severe (drop from 45 fps in VR (5760x2800) to 20 fps)

thanks cost me a bunch of cash in march 2021. i do notice a big difference comparing our setups. i am a pancake user. i need a barf bag to use VR (i guess that's simulated too 😉 ) my res is not that large.

["height"] = 1440
["width"] = 3440